Are Veggie Dogs and Burgers Evil Doppelgangers of the Real Thing?

Reply Fri 23 Oct, 2015 11:54 am
What do you think? Love them veggie versions of hot dogs and hamburgers? Where do you get your favorites from? A particular store? Restaurant?

My favorite veggie burgers come from restaurants that make their own at the spot, not just buy frozen them in bulk and nuked to they're supposedly edible.

Pickle Shack, Brooklyn is easily my favorite veggie burger place. Not sure where to get a decent veggie dog (restaurant).

What brand(s) of grocery store frozen veggietized chicken patties, burgers, etc... is/are your faves?

Find sidenote:
A Percentage Of Veggie Hot Dogs Contain Meat...And Human DNA

ehBeth

Reply Fri 23 Oct, 2015 11:56 am
@tsarstepan,
I don't understand the point of fake meat.

If you want to eat vegetables (and I do), then eat vegetables.

It's a pretty simple concept.
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 23 Oct, 2015 12:00 pm
@ehBeth,
I'm an omnivore. Whatever tastes good (and relatively affordable).

Wait until the lab grown faux meat comes out (and hopefully perfected). It might be a great help in terms of curbing climate change when lowering the dependence on the beef industry. That said, the faux meat has to be healthy, tasty, and far from insanely pricey.

A really good veggie burger (in this day and age) is basically a fun change of pace. This coming from a burger snob. I love all types of burgers.
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 23 May, 2017 12:03 pm
@tsarstepan,
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 23 May, 2017 12:40 pm
I ate (all unknowing) a veggies burger once't . . . I was being polite. My hostess asked if I had enjoyed it, so I said I had, so as nto to be churlish. She said "Ha!" triumphantly, and told me it was a veggies burger. I felt like saying "So that's why it was so god-awful."

Veggies burgers truly are evil.
roger

Reply Tue 23 May, 2017 02:38 pm
@Setanta,
You gotta watch those compliments. Most often, it gets you more of the same.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Tue 23 May, 2017 02:40 pm
Are beef hamburgers the real thing? This is the only part of a cow that looks like a hamburger.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSO_tWgnxNcnzN2UjnAN-wThIFmzhROlK_mC076dRfq6HD7rZc7
coluber2001

Reply Wed 24 May, 2017 09:21 pm
Of course A lot has to do with the amount of processing. The trouble with veggie burgers, which I do like, is the high amount of processing and the high price.

Ground beef from feedlot cattle is cheap, but the conditions they are raised under is not only sick but sickening. The cattle are raised under filthy, disease-ridden, and inhumane conditions. If you saw how they were raised you would vomit, and you never would eat beef again. A better name for feedlot beef is Auschwitz beef.

However, there is grass-fed beef available, and the cattle are raised under humane and healthy conditions. The grass-fed ground beef will cost two times as much as Auschwitz beef, but the answer is to just eat less of it. Most of us eat much more concentrated protein than we need.
0 Replies

TomTomBinks

Reply Wed 24 May, 2017 10:51 pm
@coluber2001,
That part of the cow just fell right out! It wouldn't be at all cruel to the animal to eat that!
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2018 10:43 am
@TomTomBinks,
Big Beef Prepares For Battle, As Interest Grows In Plant-Based And Lab-Grown Meats
https://i.imgur.com/02OuwaT.jpg
coluber2001

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2018 11:20 am
@tsarstepan,
One reason that keeps the cost of meat from being any higher than it already is is the almost exclusive employment of cheap labor by illegal immigrants in slaughterhouses and meat packing plants. Notice that Trump hasn't cleared these places of illegal immigrants, which would raise the price of meat substantially.

I noticed the phrase in the article, "the watchful eye of the USDA". The USDA only spot-checks meat in the slaughterhouses anymore, and the task of meat inspection has fallen upon the illegal alien employees. Meat inspection by laymen can be learned and somewhat adequately performed. However, employment by illegal aliens is so tenuous that if they start rejecting too much meat, then their employment and even their right to live in this country are in jeopardy.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2018 03:09 pm
If eating lab-grown meat seems repulsive or sickening, then consider that many vegetarians feel the same way about the filthy, inhumane, and pathogenic conditions in which animals are now raised.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 10 Jan, 2019 09:58 am
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 16 Jan, 2019 01:40 pm
@tsarstepan,
Is the New Impossible Burger Any Good?
https://i.imgur.com/k65eVlF.jpg
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 9 Jul, 2019 06:53 am
@tsarstepan,
chai2

Reply Tue 9 Jul, 2019 07:25 am
@tsarstepan,
Takeway:
Vegans don't flush the toilet.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2020 07:19 pm
Impossible Burger expands beyond beef burgers into pork and sausages.
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 9 Jan, 2020 02:29 pm
@tsarstepan,
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Thu 9 Jan, 2020 02:52 pm
The Three Stooges- Hot Dog And Cats Meal.

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 9 Jan, 2020 04:57 pm
I don't object to vegetarian foods. I just don't favor such concoctions as fake beef.