What is YOUR Policy on Drinking Alcohol During Pregnancy?

Thu 22 Oct, 2015 04:22 am
The minders say not one ever even though they dont have any evidence that this is required. For them this is justified by the "in a abundance of caution" argument. Seriously, without any good cause they tell women that deciding to have a baby should mean that they dont get to enjoy even a glass of wine now and then for 9 months.

Jesus.

I say keep in under strict control just to be safe, a few glasses a week.

What say you?

najmelliw

Thu 22 Oct, 2015 04:45 am
@hawkeye10,
The problem comes from when a child is born and it has some mental or physical problems. You'd probably have doubts yourself: "Would this have happened if I had abstained from drinking?"
Other important people in your life (family, friends), might harbour the same kind of feeling.

Is all that aggravation worth the temporary ban on alcohol for three quarters of a year or so?

hawkeye10

Thu 22 Oct, 2015 05:00 am
@najmelliw,
Did you miss the part about there being no evidence that light drinking does anything bad at all? What else are women supposed to give up as they reproduce the species "in a abundance of caution"? Coffee? Stress? Exercise? Sex? Swimming? Air travel? Any travel?
FosterPARU

Thu 22 Oct, 2015 06:26 am
@hawkeye10,
I'm not in position to tell anybody what to do, but if I was pregnant I would only eat and drink those things that I would allow my kid to eat once it is a couple of years old. And I would certainly not give this kid Alcohol.

You state that there is no scientific evidence that a glass of wine now and then results in any problems to the child. You are shockingly wrong.

http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/early/2015/10/13/peds.2015-3113

http://www.today.com/health/drinking-while-pregnant-no-amount-alcohol-safe-according-latest-report-t51231

there is no safe amount of alcohol that can be consumed throughout a pregnancy.
hawkeye10

Thu 22 Oct, 2015 06:45 am
@FosterPARU,
Quote:
Women received a familiar directive from the American Academy of Pediatrics on Monday: Don’t drink while pregnant. Not even a little bit. Ever. At all. That’s the message of a new survey to be published in the journal Pediatrics. The message from the paper’s lead author, University of Texas Health Science Center professor of pediatrics Janet Williams, as paraphrased by the Guardian: “[T]here is no known ‘safe’ level of alcohol consumption.”

Those words seem definitive, but they also suggest a more complex truth. The interdiction on light drinking while pregnant is about known unknowns: whether there’s a totally safe level of consumption and what that level might be. It’s not a statement about something that we do know: that alcohol, even the occasional glass of wine, is definitively harmful to a developing fetus.

Roughly 1 in 10 American women drink while pregnant, with college-educated, professional women more likely to do so than other groups. Binge drinking—usually defined as having more than four drinks in a sitting—has long been known to carry a risk of fetal alcohol spectrum disorders, including learning and emotional disabilities as well as physical abnormalities. But many new studies suggest that light drinking is just fine. A series of five papers published by Danish researchers in 2012 found no differences between the 5-year-old children of mothers who had up to eight drinks a week (never bingeing on any single occasion) and those who abstained. Writing for Slate in 2013, economist Emily Oster, author of Expecting Better, highlighted a few other studies, including one that found no behavioral differences in 14-year-olds whose mothers had had up to a drink a day, and one that found the same for test performance and intellectual ability.

These new studies don’t constitute enough information to tell us where, exactly, to draw the line, which could explain why doctors set it at zero. In her much-shared Cosmopolitan piece “Why I Drank While I Was Pregnant,” writer Michelle Ruiz hypothesized that, in our litigious society, OB-GYNs don’t want to be responsible for telling women that the occasional glass of Pinot is fine, even if that’s what they privately believe. It’s also true, as Williams argued in the Guardian, that “we don’t have sensitive enough methods” to detect every minor abnormality that could stem from alcohol use. Since researchers don’t know for sure what they could be missing, she said, “I think it’s a leap in faith to say it’s safe, it’s completely safe.”

http://www.slate.com/articles/double_x/doublex/2015/10/pregnant_women_should_not_drink_at_all_says_american_academy_of_pediatrics.html
0 Replies

najmelliw

Thu 22 Oct, 2015 07:15 am
@hawkeye10,
My apologies.

Please note that I am not laying a direct clausal connection between A) the drinking and B) the mental/physical defects of the infant.

I didn't do that because it wasn't relevant to my point.

The thing that matters is if, when you land in that situation, and you (inevitably, if you are a concerned and involved parent) think about what you might have done wrong, things like the drinking will swim to the surface.

But even if it's not been a factor, and even if it was in fact entirely beneficial, how are you going to convince the people around you of this fact? All they have seen, all they probably will remember, is seeing you with an alcoholic beverage in your glass. They can't know whether you limited yourself or not, and will probably always wonder.

Also, there's one more thing to consider:
A rather large percentage of people have a hard time distinguishing the line between 'just a few drinks' and 'drinking too much'. Should they be tempting themselves by drinking at all during a pregnancy?

Linkat

Thu 22 Oct, 2015 08:57 am
@hawkeye10,
Well not issue for me as my baby making days are behind me. But I do remember even from my 1st to my 2nd pregnancy they kept changing things - what you should or should not do or eat and how much. I remember them telling me I could only have tuna fish once a month. I was craving it and waited to the exact day each month.

I remember my doctor telling me you can have an occassional drink which basically means one once in while (not one a day - she noted she had to be clear on that because that is what some people took it to be). Seeing my child's health was important, I think I had maybe three drinks the entire 9 months or so.

I gave up a few things though - my medium rare prime rib or other steak, sushi, and I forget what else. I figure if it is only for 9 months and they recommended no alcohol for those 9 months, I would give it up too.
engineer

Thu 22 Oct, 2015 12:23 pm
@Linkat,
I think it's a very personal decision how you comport yourself during pregnancy. I know a woman who gave up dyeing her hair. I certainly wouldn't think to dictate to anyone, but all the most recent research should be available so people can make informed decisions.
hawkeye10

Thu 22 Oct, 2015 12:39 pm
@engineer,
But you have in your life experienced " She was drinking a glass a champagne, PREGNANT, how could she!" like she had committed child abuse, right? People get very uptight and judgmental about it in my experience.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Thu 22 Oct, 2015 12:41 pm
@Linkat,
Quote:
I remember them telling me I could only have tuna fish once a month

I never heard that one...one of my kids should be messed up, tuna was about all she ate for three months.

Quote:
I figure if it is only for 9 months and they recommended no alcohol for those 9 months, I would give it up too.
Did you? and do you not even care if you are making your choices on fact or not?
hawkeye10

Thu 22 Oct, 2015 12:47 pm
@najmelliw,
Quote:
A rather large percentage of people have a hard time distinguishing the line between 'just a few drinks' and 'drinking too much'. Should they be tempting themselves by drinking at all during a pregnancy?

Super, but that is not excuse for not telling the truth, for loading women up with guilt for doing something that makes them feel good that we have no evidence hurts the baby. more in more we seem to look at having kids should be not fun for the parents, we are very fast to blame parents and to demand that they suffer. And then we wonder why the birthrate runs so low in developed countries.
tsarstepan

Thu 22 Oct, 2015 12:52 pm
@hawkeye10,
I've heard plenty of people prescribe a glass of wine (that's it) to pregnant women.

Quote:
I say keep in under strict control just to be safe, a few glasses a week.

Quote:
Kids whose mothers had up to eight drinks a week were just as smart as their peers born to abstaining moms, according to the study, which measured brainpower in several ways.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/a-daily-glass-of-wine-is-okay-durin/
tsarstepan

Thu 22 Oct, 2015 12:54 pm
@najmelliw,
najmelliw wrote:

The problem comes from when a child is born and it has some mental or physical problems. You'd probably have doubts yourself: "Would this have happened if I had abstained from drinking?"
Other important people in your life (family, friends), might harbour the same kind of feeling.

Is all that aggravation worth the temporary ban on alcohol for three quarters of a year or so?

The problem comes from when a child is born and it has some mental or physical problems. You'd probably have doubts yourself. These doubts happen to almost literally EVERY PARENT even if the both parents were stone cold sober throughout the pregnancy. Doubt and anxiety is the very nature behind parenthood.
Linkat

Thu 22 Oct, 2015 01:24 pm
@hawkeye10,
I did not give it up but as u said I had maybe 3 alcoholic drinks the entire time I knew I was pregnant. But my doctor said it was fine to occasionally have a drink. Had they stated otherwise I would have followed their direction.

In between my two girls ... some things changed like the tuna with no restrictions to once a month ... I think it was because of mercury levels. But also no soft cheeses....which my friend said all she ate was feta cheese.

I figure if it doesn't hurt to avoid something why not.
0 Replies

Linkat

Thu 22 Oct, 2015 01:29 pm
@hawkeye10,
My doctor point blank told me that..she said that many of her patients she would suggest not to have any alcohol because occasionally to some people take it as having a drink every day whereas it is meant more like once or twice a month or so.

She told me I appeared to be reasonable maybe because I did question things like .. why would I want this procedure or that and I did turn down some tests as for me there was no benefit.
hawkeye10

Thu 22 Oct, 2015 01:46 pm
@Linkat,
Quote:
My doctor point blank told me that..she said that many of her patients she would suggest not to have any alcohol because occasionally to some people take it as having a drink every day whereas it is meant more like once or twice a month or so.

A drink a day is almost certainly fine. I say a few a week out of an abundance of caution. But telling women that they are committing child abuse by having a glass of wine with dinner now and then has to go until/unless there is evidence to back up the claim. The truth matters. And life already has enough suck in it without gratuitously adding more.
hawkeye10

Thu 22 Oct, 2015 01:57 pm
@tsarstepan,
Quote:
I've heard plenty of people prescribe a glass of wine (that's it) to pregnant women.

Ya, I have heard of doctors doing that too. One thing that really burns me is that the same people who will march in the streets under the theory that a woman has the right to control her reproductive choices are the same people who will march up to a pregnant woman who is enjoying a glass of wine and read her the riot act on child abuse, with women obviously being the worst offenders. Be a obviously pregnant woman and order a glass of wine in a restaurant and let me know if you get served. Maybe, maybe not. This has to do with our fetish about "protecting" children too, though it is nice to see a lot of people now speaking up about how over protecting our kids is hurting them, and us. And this is also about the long march to criminalizing parenting. And what we seem to take as our right to try to manage other people's lives. And I have already mentioned guilt trips, lying, and disregarding science.

Yes, this issue is at the crossroads of several of my pet peeves.
0 Replies

Linkat

Thu 22 Oct, 2015 02:07 pm
@hawkeye10,
She wasn't calling child abuse - what doctors do (or at least mine) would be to talk to you about diet and what things should be avoided or limited and why. At least that is what a good doctor does - I can't tell you the reasons for all the items she suggested not having or limiting because I don't remember. But she did explain the reasons why these suggestions are in place.

In no way to I ever feel that she would claim child abuse if I ate an extra can of tuna fish - it was suggested and I figured it would be better to follow her suggestions as it was an easy accomdation to make - except maybe the tuna.
hawkeye10

Thu 22 Oct, 2015 02:16 pm
@Linkat,
Child abuse is claimed by random do-gooders who catch a PG woman drinking, and think that they just have to say something, try to smarten her up you know. This is exactly like the non smokers who go up to smokers and telling them that they are going to die early, and while nobody knows that because it appears that some people can smoke for their entire lives and not suffer any harm at least there is some evidence that just a few cigs a day could be harmful. There is no such evidence with a drink a day.
0 Replies

najmelliw

Fri 23 Oct, 2015 02:08 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

The problem comes from when a child is born and it has some mental or physical problems. You'd probably have doubts yourself. These doubts happen to almost literally EVERY PARENT even if the both parents were stone cold sober throughout the pregnancy. Doubt and anxiety is the very nature behind parenthood.

Where are you going with this? Because this line of reasoning can basically be used to give prospective parents a 'license to do whatever they please'. Switch alcohol for heroin, for instance, and then tell me if your point still stands.
0 Replies