Can true happiness be found from within?

stuh505

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2004 08:59 pm
Certainly, most people rely on relationships and such and could not be happy without them...but I wonder if this is actually a part of our physiology, or if it's just a very common personality trait that not everyone has.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 916 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Scarlettmarsden

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2004 10:45 pm
Ha! I find that quite a proposterous question. Is it not for the human form to instinctly search out happiness, wherever it could be found? Most usually found in others, in the love of others. But if we have the love of ourselves, FOR ourselves, would that not make us happy? To be spiritually enlightened is the constant search for that truth, that love, peace, happiness that exists inside us. If we did not have it, we could not find it in others, no?
0 Replies

the reincarnation of suzy

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 05:17 am
I think one can find happiness within oneself and there probably is not a physiological "need" to be coupled to have that. But I think human beings do need relationships and associations with others to be truly satisfied. I mean, I would not want to live alone in the world, but I'm not sure that is the same as not having a romantic relationship. So, I dunno!
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 01:54 pm
Stuh, that is a perfectly reasonable and interesting question. I plan to give it some thought, even though I find it beyond my reach in terms of available data.
0 Replies

Not Too Swift

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 08:21 pm
It goes without saying, the first relationship that counts is the one with oneself; the others follow. If the first one fails, the others will not be successful. Happiness is not a burden you can put on others, alas!

But your question in its context (as I read it) relates more to psychology than it would to physiology.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 08:37 pm
I saw a TV special about a man who built his own cabin in alaska, and lived there for 20 years choosing not to return to civilization. I wonder if he was really happy? Or maybe he just felt too different to live with the rest of the world. I wonder about these things because I am a very introverted solitary person. I meet people, I have friends, but they are only temporary...I never know anyone for more than a few years. So I try to find happiness in my own achievements. It sort of works.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 08:42 pm
Stuh, it is good that you can live comfortably by yourself, that you are not dependent on the love of others for happiness. But it is still better, I think, to share one's self-love with others. I like to think that when I came to my wife and my friends for companionship, I came to them to share my happiness with them, not to live solely off theirs.
0 Replies

malinda

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 10:42 pm
happiness comes from...
True happiness, to me, does come from within. I seek out people that are positive and try to keep a positive attitude to stay happy.Although,I do believe happiness comes and goes,constantly changing.How could you ever know true happiness if you never knew sadness.You must have one to have the other.It does not matter who is in your life,it is up to you to keep a positive outlook on life. Very Happy
0 Replies

tcis

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 11:14 pm
Good question.

I think the best is a combination of both. Happiness from within, and with friends and loved ones.

That is ideal, but is not always possible.

I've noticed this: you don't see too many people totally alone for long periods of time, who are that happy. Most of my acquaintances that are loners don't seem that happy. Now, of course that could be a chicken-egg situation. Maybe they're alone because they are so unhappy in the first place.

Off on a bit of a tangent: solitary confinement is considered one of the most intense punishments. How come one never hears of one of those dudes coming out of this punishment all happy, having achieved inner happiness? All that has happened is that they've been isolated from others. Why do none of them take this opprtunity to work on inner happiness? Admittedly, this example is not directly answering the question...and I put it forth a bit tongue in cheek...still...its just an extreme slant on it, that may be worth considering as part of the overall answer.

I'd really like to think that total happiness can be found from within. It seems like it should be that way. But, it appears that the vast majority of people need a certain amount of contact with others, significant relationships, to achieve consistent happiness. This is what I have witnessed thus far, at least. I almost hope to be proven wrong.

Another sort of kicker: When I was younger, in my 20s or so, it seemed like I was really happy pretty much being alone. But as I got older, it seemed like I had much more desire and need to be around others. This, I did not expect.

How many really old people do you see that are completely alone in the world, and also extremely happy? Just a question...
0 Replies