Reply Wed 14 Oct, 2015 09:37 pm
The Fed says that there is about $1.35 trillion worth of dollars in circulation worldwide. However, the dollar denominated foreign reserves held by China alone amount to more than that, never mind other countries. Furthermore, there is a revolving door between sovereign wealth funds and foreign reserve holdings of central banks.

So, my questions are:

(1) What measure(s) of the U.S.money supply include dollars (or assets convertible to dollars on demand) held by foreign central banks and sovereign wealth funds?

(2) To what extent are the most liquid money supply measures understated by failing to include such assets in total currency in circulation?

I was also thinking about the expansion of leveraged financial assets leading up to the financial crisis in the U.S.; at some point leverage requires someone to loan actual money (i.e. access to demand deposits); and if foreign investment from trade surpluses and subsequent increases in dollar denominated foreign reserves resulted in funds transfers from abroad into American financial assets, thus supporting the inflation of bubbles through additional leveraging, wasn't this equivalent to an expansion of the money supply?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,421 • Replies: 1
No top replies

neologist

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2015 11:12 am
@puzzledperson,
I have $23 in my wallet.
Joe Sixpack owes me $50. That's from last year...
But I have a few bucks in the bank.
And my condo is worth a lot more than I owe on it.
I live near Microsoft and Boeing Co. They're worth a ton.

So, there is more than enough money for me, if I had it.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Money supply question
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 12:37:37