This advice has sunk in?

Reply Sat 10 Oct, 2015 08:48 pm
Does "This advice has sunk in" mean "This advice has been fully understood or realized"?

Context:

Men are often advised to stand out from the crowd to attract women—there can be only one alpha male. Women, on the other hand, are told not to be too weird. This advice has sunk in: a 2006 study found that when in a mating mind-set, men become less conformist and women become more so. A paper in the June issue of Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, however, reports that we have it all wrong.

More:

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/men-are-attracted-to-nonconformist-women/
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 491 • Replies: 6
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
InfraBlue

Reply Sat 10 Oct, 2015 11:47 pm
@oristarA,
Yes.
oristarA

Reply Sun 11 Oct, 2015 05:31 am
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:

Yes.

Thanks.
So "men become less conformist and women become more so" means "men become less conformist and women become more conformist"?
The above is what confused me.
McTag
  Selected Answer

Reply Sun 11 Oct, 2015 06:36 am
@oristarA,
yes.
oristarA

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2015 07:34 pm
@McTag,
McTag wrote:

yes.

The "men become less conformist and women become more so" gives me the impression that it means "men become less conformist and women become more less conformist." Wink
InfraBlue

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2015 08:14 pm
@oristarA,
Yeah, I had to re-read it to make sure, but the sentence is contrasting "less" with "more," and "so" is a pronoun referring to "conformist" with the sense of, "such as has already been suggested or specified." (American Heritage Dictionary)
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Tue 13 Oct, 2015 03:49 pm
@oristarA,

No, "less" is balanced by "more" in that example.

It's a neater way of writing the phrase "men become less conformist and women becone more conformist", i.e., avoiding the unnecessary repetition eof the word "conformist".
0 Replies