Facebook error message

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2015 04:00 pm
I have a weird problem logging onto FB--I get an error message saying
DATA TRANSFER INTERRUPTED.. "Connection has terminated unexpectedly. Some data may have been transferred." I am on Win 7--and 2 computers wired thru a router. I have changed all the cables, the plugs and even ran the internet cable directly to this computer..Problem is only on Win 7 computer. XP is OK.. Roadrunner was called and everything seems ok on their end.
Any idea?? Thanks a million, Mike
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 798 • Replies: 10

jespah

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2015 05:30 pm
@Miracle617,
Try logging in from another computer - e. g. at a coffee shop or a friend's house. This is to determine whether it's a login issue (e. g. your account is not working at all, which can be a malformed cookie or you might even be temp banned from Facebook) or an internet protocol (e. g. your IP address) problem.

If you can get in from another person's computer, call roadrunner again and ask them to issue you a new IP address.
Miracle617

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2015 06:38 pm
@jespah,
thanks Jespah--I didnt explain myself fully--its working on an old XP computer wired in thru my router---I have changed all the cables , etc
to no avail. So your idea that it could be the IP address on my Win 7 computer
might be the answer. Thanks a lot
jespah

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2015 06:41 pm
@Miracle617,
That's my spitballing - hey, nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Miracle617

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2015 07:28 pm
@jespah,
just had a second thought---what will this IP address change affect? Like online banking sign-ins and everything else??? I recall a place where I could view my address---is there such a place?? and thks again
jespah

Reply Sat 10 Oct, 2015 03:45 am
@Miracle617,
Online banking doesn't care. This is not your password. What I'm trying to figure out is if your current IP is somewhere in some massive Facebook IP range block.

You could view it (it's a dos prompt and I am NOT going to teach you that, as there are way too many opportunities for mischief if you don't know WTF you're doing) but it would tell you nothing. It's just a series of numbers. You can also just Google - look up my IP address.
Miracle617

Reply Sat 10 Oct, 2015 04:45 am
@jespah,
yeah, I knew it was dangerous--I was gonna write it down in case the Roadrunner change didnt work
never mind
jespah

Reply Sat 10 Oct, 2015 05:11 am
@Miracle617,
As I think of this, it's more likely that you've got spyware or some sort of virus, but try the IP thing (hey, you never know). A virus scan can't hurt anyway.
Miracle617

Reply Sat 10 Oct, 2015 12:36 pm
@jespah,
I loved your term " spitballing" ha
I ran a scan--didnt help--will try a Roadrunner call later
0 Replies

Miracle617

Reply Wed 14 Oct, 2015 07:50 am
@jespah,
it was a virus--called KOOBFACE... took $130 worth of phone help to clean computer--Microsoft and a company in TX.. I was sceptical but they fixed it.
Thks for your help
jespah

Reply Wed 14 Oct, 2015 08:50 am
@Miracle617,
Ai yi yi I'm glad it was resolved. Thanks for the update!
0 Replies