Sark the Shark, USC lose to Lowly Huskies 17-12

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2015 11:44 am
AhHaHaHa!

http://www.si.com/college-football/2015/10/09/washington-beats-usc-steve-sarkisian-chris-petersen

Excerpt:
Quote:
LOS ANGELES — Win Forever. That’s the catch phrase, ethos and inspirational book Pete Carroll left behind after his nine-year stint at USC ended in 2010. He resurrected the program back into college football’s elite and ever since USC has flailed in its attempts to chase those highs.

At the LA Coliseum on Thursday night, USC got another reminder of why it should have deviated from Uncle Pete’s coaching tree. As USC wheezed, sputtered and pre-snap retreated its way to a 17–12 loss to pedestrian Washington (3–2), the Trojan faithful saw up-close the coach they let slip away.

Chris Petersen, then at Boise State, interviewed for the USC job following the 2013 season. The USC brass dismissed Petersen as not dynamic enough and too unwilling to handle the media and booster obligations that go hand-in-hand with the biggest football job in Los Angeles.

neologist

Reply Sat 10 Oct, 2015 05:02 pm
@neologist,
I'm still gonna root for those bums when they play Notre Dame.
I root for anybody playing Notre Dame.

Sorry if she's Votre Dame
ossobuco

Reply Sat 10 Oct, 2015 05:16 pm
@neologist,
I understand re USC, being a UCLA person. On Notre Dame, I used to follow their games, many years ago and far away. Not for the last 50ish years, though.
neologist

Reply Sat 10 Oct, 2015 05:32 pm
@ossobuco,
Laughing
I forgive you for your UCLA loyalty. Also for your past lapse of judgement regarding those other guys. You have since proved to be a valuable friend and cohort.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 10 Oct, 2015 06:42 pm
@neologist,
Very Happy
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 11 Oct, 2015 06:23 pm
Sark to take "leave of absence"

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/pac12/2015/10/11/usc-coach-steve-sarkisian-leave-of-absence-pat-haden/73787066/
ossobuco

Reply Sun 11 Oct, 2015 06:41 pm
@neologist,
I get the Washington universities mixed up. An old friend went to both of them, one for undergrad, one for med school. I've been to Washington a couple of times, liked it.

On SC, they were the "rich kids". For quite a while now UCLA has tuition too, which is one of my bugbears. So many families/students can't do it.

Some of my older cousins went to USC. My later husband and his brother went there, on full scholarships, never gave a fig about football. Those older cousins of mine were frat and sorority types, the social whirl, joiners. Me, I worked about 30-35 hrs a week. Different experiences.

Haden is a familiar name..
0 Replies

Kolyo

Reply Sun 11 Oct, 2015 09:51 pm
Despite the better part of my nature (which tells me any organization that won't pay for its female employees' birth control expenses is pretty worthless) I can't stop cheering for Notre Dame's football team. Ultimately I just can't help myself: the fight song, the leprechaun, "Touchdown Jesus", and the fact that they're reliably on network TV every Saturday -- I get swept up in the madness of it all.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2015 10:05 am
I just looked Pat Haden up on Wiki, and now I remember reading a fair amount about him back in the early seventies.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2015 02:58 pm
@ossobuco,
Sarkisian fired:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000555723/article/usc-fires-head-coach-steve-sarkisian
InfraBlue

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2015 04:26 pm
Joe friggin' Montana threw for Notre Dame, man!

Go Notre Dame!
neologist

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2015 04:56 pm
@ossobuco,
Well, now I regret my celebration.

But I still root against USC
Unless they play Notre Dame (and a few others)

As for Joe Montana, I have long ago absolved him of his error.
He was on scholarship. He had to play somewhere.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2015 05:09 pm
@InfraBlue,
I paid attention around the days of Paul Hornung and Nick Pietrosanti, the dark ages, football stats wise. Heh, my mother made me a kelly green corduroy jumper. Sort of embarrassing when they took me to dinner at the Nickodell restaurant in Hollywood when the team was going to be there, but she meant well and worked at making it. They no doubt were going to be playing USC the next day.

Montana et al are a good part of why I still pay attention to SF49ers, though I'm not a fan of their ownership. My fandome has slipped though. Generally, I'm not as one team oriented as a lot of football fans. I'm more interested in the stories, whatever team they are from.
0 Replies