Life advice for a 22 year old not getting along with her future mother in law?

Reply Thu 8 Oct, 2015 03:29 pm
I apologize in advance for the long post as I have no idea how to really cut this down.

A little about myself: My fiance and I met back when we were in high school and have been dating for three years, nearly two and a half of it long distance, and we have been engaged since last August. Shortly after the engagement I finally moved in with him, to his insistence, this past January finally ready to take the plunge of living together and due to lack of available work where I was previously living. We're currently living in his dad's old house with his older brother due to a combined factor of lack of income to live anywhere else (for my fiance and I) as well as an agreement between him and his parents that they would help pay for all his college so long as he agreed to live here. Just to note, his parents are divorced and have been for some time now. As well as his dad lives now on the other side of the country and mother lives a half hour away from us, which means, unfortunately, frequent unplanned visits from her during mine and my fiance's sleeping schedule as he works second shift.

Up until after a couple months of moving in with my fiance, she and I got along very well. Almost instantly I was accepted into the family when he and I started dating. Over time though I have observed that she and I are opposite personalities. I'm more of a laid back type while on the flip side she's more high strung to the point where she can become a total bitch to people. Quoted by those who know her as well as seeing it happen in person all to frequently. I'll be up front and honest when I say I was shocked the first time she lashed out at me. One day in March she managed came to the house while I was alone, cleaning none the less, with no warning and after some polite conversation seemed to turn a 180 and full on verbally attack me over her oldest son calling her all the time because I wasn't cleaning to their standards. Even though her oldest is 29, at that point didn't communicate at all to me or my fiance his frustration, and I managed to keep the house fairly clean despite the claims against me. I.E. - the worst I have ever let the cleaning go was a small amount of dishes that would sit in the sink for no more than a day and some small piles of dog hair that would gather up because, hey, we have a big dog that sheds constantly, thus unless I were to follow him around all day with the vacuum, I never will 100% keep up with keeping the floors completely dog hair free. I should also mention that out of the three people in the house, I am the ONLY person who cleans 99% of the time with the occasional help from my fiance on his days off. Since then she's gone on to berate me due to my lack of finding work and how it's “hurting her son” as well as going so far as to call me “lazy” and a “child”, despite that fact that I have put in dozens of applications and shown her that I am trying. She's even gone as far as to invade our privacy by going into our room while we're at home as well as while we're away to look for god only knows what. While I do understand where she's coming from on the job part, I feel she's over stepping the line quite a bit by coming by unannounced, berating me for things I have no control over, and entering into our privet space without our consent.

Things between her and I have gotten pretty bad. Several times over the past six months she has threatened to kick me out, though she does not have her name on the house. A couple months ago she got so angry with me that she threatened to put her hands on me, by saying she'll physically pick me up and throw me out of this house be damned how I look, all because she showed up unannounced and we were still in bed sleeping at 10 in the morning, even though this is during mine and my fiance's normal sleep schedule. Then a week ago, upon finding out from a friend of ours later that day, after she couldn't get a hold of either of us and noticing we weren't home, proceeded to go to one of our known vape shops we frequent and loudly caused a commotion to all those in the shop about me! I still have no idea what it was about and I'm honestly still confused as to what she thought this would accomplish seeing as I was not around to hear what it was about.

To be honest, I've gotten to a point I've become so afraid of her that I avoid her at all costs. If she calls, I ignore it. If she comes by, I try not to be at the house unless she unexpectedly drops in without warning. Even then, I tend to avoid her as much as possible. She is kind to my face when others are around, but if it's just by unfortunate accident that she and I are alone, she verbally attacks me.

My fiance doesn't want to stand up to her due to fear of her pulling her funds to help him with school as well as he doesn't like confrontation despite that fact he himself is not overly fond of her. While I can't blame him on his thinking, I have made him aware about what is happening as well as my feelings about the situation.

I honestly feel at a loss here as to what to do. I love my fiance dearly, but this constant cycle of issues is starting to push me away to the point where I just want to get away from his family.

ossobuco

Reply Thu 8 Oct, 2015 03:58 pm
Is his father's name on the house?

I'd consider inquiring from him (maybe by your fiance) if you could change the locks. That's just a first thought and might make stuff way worse.

The real first problem is your fiance isn't standing up to her. Not that I can't understand that, but it doesn't bode well. You two are both young and this is a difficult situation. First person to talk with is your fiance. As it is, you two are facing a hard four or more years.

If it were me, I'd be out of there if your fiance and his father don't back you. Since it is his mother, you two should first attempt to have an understanding that she must know the hours that you two do your sleeping, that she must call before showing up, and that she must treat you with courtesy. You don't have a job as a live in maid. She is way out of line. If nobody backs you, why stay?
Ragman

Reply Thu 8 Oct, 2015 04:29 pm
@Myimagination339,
If I got this right...she stalked you when you weren't home and then made a fuss at the vape shop?

Stop the presses! If you fiance doesn't stand up to her, he has no backbone. if you ever got married she's ruin your marriage. If you were to try and have a baby, she'll demand you name the baby after her choice. She'll take over your life even more. If you think that life is hard with her now-- just wait and see? As it is, she's making your life miserable now.

He has to stop her. There no college education financial support that is worth that. If he has to put off the education or finance a different way to afford college, he must do so..or else. In fact both of you are relying on this support with living arrangements. You allowed yourself to become indebted to a mad- woman.

Make the changes ..and take a sacrifice to get out from under her dictatorship. Get your dignity and life back.
ehBeth

Reply Thu 8 Oct, 2015 04:45 pm
@Myimagination339,
Myimagination339 wrote:

My fiance doesn't want to stand up to her due to fear of her pulling her funds to help him with school as well as he doesn't like confrontation despite that fact he himself is not overly fond of her. While I can't blame him on his thinking, I have made him aware about what is happening as well as my feelings about the situation.

He may be too young to be in a committed relationship. He's dependent on his family for all of his support. Expecting him to stand up to his family at this point may not be realistic.

If you cannot live independently without relying on your boyfriend's family for housing and support, you both need to reconsider the living situation and relationship.

ossobuco

Reply Thu 8 Oct, 2015 05:22 pm
@ossobuco,
I was a little fuzzy on my last paragraph. I don't expect her to come to an understanding with you alone, as she pays no attention: a) fiance and I hope the father stand up for you with her; b) the understanding by her that I listed in my first post must happen.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 8 Oct, 2015 05:24 pm
@Ragman,
I agree, I was thinking that, re the terrible price of this college financial support.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 8 Oct, 2015 05:29 pm
@ehBeth,
That's true too. That was underlying my saying 'you two are very young'. Being her son for all these years, and young to boot, he may not have it in him to stand up to her.

If she leaves, then the young man is facing being completely run over if he stays there.
ehBeth

Reply Thu 8 Oct, 2015 05:45 pm
@ossobuco,
Or they may just let him get on with his education.

Who knows what the real dynamics are? I sure don't.

I do wonder about mom showing up at vape shops - that suggests there's at least one piece of the story missing.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 8 Oct, 2015 05:52 pm
@ehBeth,
Dad would. Dunno re her. It's true we don't know her and don't know the history of the son with her. She appears to be a big controller from my view here.
0 Replies

think rethink

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2015 06:07 pm
@Myimagination339,
hi, first of all, my very deep sympathy ,regarding this trauma, i am very sorry about it.

being aware about the danger of raw advice, i will only alert your focus, to a critical point or two, which are false facts and true potential reality.

entry level love, would be, getting to know someone you deeply appreciate.

you basically love yourself, therefore love (appreciate) the joy, of whatever that self (you), enjoys.

in a brutal nutshell, you express love to yourself, through appreciating that amazing person, but you don't love him quite yet, merely confusing the self love, with appreciation of outside.

i will stop here, assuming ,that you, scratching your head figuring out why this is related to your ordeal, how this might improve things,

will drive the awareness home with triple effectiveness, giving you so much more empowerment, then me elaborating

Ragman

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2015 06:36 pm
@think rethink,
Shocked
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2015 06:42 pm
I'll ask: whose dog is it?
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2015 07:03 pm
@Myimagination339,
Granted, his mother sounds like a nightmare so you need to take evasive action. The first thing I would do is place a lock on my bedroom door, I might even put a sign on the door stating that the pythons were loose getting their exercise, please don't open door.

Regarding your job search, I'm not sure if you are searching for the perfect job, but you should consider part-time anywhere, a Walmart, Target, restaurants, and don't sniff at bartending, they get great tips.

I don't know about your transportation, if you have reliable public transportation or you have your own cars, but I'd be hitting the door if she shows up unannounced. Good luck
ossobuco

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2015 08:06 pm
@glitterbag,
I'm not clear she has power to enter, since she isn't on the deed. Maybe part of the divorce settlement? I'm not versed in law, just wondering. I assume dad agreed to her entry, but on such a sloppy basis?

I think dad needs more information. What he'd do with it, we don't know.
Maybe there is a reason besides job opportunity that he is far away, or maybe not.
glitterbag

Reply Sat 10 Oct, 2015 12:36 am
@ossobuco,
I don't know either, but the mother doesn't have freedom/permission to wander in this couples bed room, and I'd make it as uncomfortable as possible for her if she did. If she's mot afraid of snakes, I'd claim a different wild animal was loose in the BR while I was away. The situation sounds complicated and I thank God I never had to live with my creepy in-laws during my first marriage, and by the time I was on to the second, it was especially not necessary.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Life advice for a 22 year old not getting along with her future mother in law?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/16/2024 at 10:07:18