WBYeats

Reply Thu 8 Oct, 2015 04:10 am
-In consideration with mathematical history, it tried to __ the people to think of the start of algebraic expression.

Could I use evoke? In dictionaries, I can only find: evoke memories/sympathy/feeling/childhood/the life of the Irish/old-fashioned mood/variety of emotions; I don't find a person as the object, but dictionaries can't include everything and can't be perfect.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 421 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 8 Oct, 2015 04:34 am
No, evoke wouldn't work. It's a poor sentence to begin with, even before you get to the blank you have to fill in.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 8 Oct, 2015 04:39 am
@WBYeats,
-In consideration with mathematical history, it tried to __ the people to think of the start of algebraic expression.

This is largely nonsense, and i suspect it was not written by a native speaker. What is "in consideration with?" One would be more likely to say "in consideration of." What tried to get people to think of the start of algebraic expression? That clause could only work if algebraic expression already existed, but it appears to refer to what ever circumstances lead to the development of algebra. You could fill your blank "get" or "spur," but not evoke. Evoke means to call forth, and then your sentence would be saying to call forth the people. It really is a nonsensical sentence.

You should ask your instructor to find native speakers of English to write these exercises.
WBYeats

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2015 10:57 am
@Setanta,
Excellent answer. Thank you.

But I think my instructor has been dead many years. I was a student in school many decades ago.
0 Replies