Democratic Party Debates - Election 2016

snood

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2015 10:12 am
Well, next Tuesday, October 13th is the first Democratic Party Debate. Here are some things I'll be looking for that come to mind, and I'd appreciate it if you all shared what you will be looking for too. And we can all add to it as more things occur to us.

1) While Bernie has been racking up record breaking crowds at his events, this will still be his biggest national audience to date, so it will be the first time most people besides the political junkies who have been keeping up all along will get a good look at him. I expect Bernie to really hit hard at the things he sees that make him a distinctive better choice than Hillary. Be that his independence from big money, his record on civil and human rights, or just his ability to speak in plain talk and not jargon, I will be looking for him to stress those things that make him unique from others.

2) I think the moderators of a debate have a lot (probably far too much) of influence on how candidates get perceived, just by the kinds of questions they ask. If they spend too much time on click bait superficial stuff, like asking Bernie if his popularity surprises him, or asking Hillary email questions, it could make both of them seem less impressive. If they ask questions that play to their strengths, like allowing Bernie a chance to talk about his genuine accomplishments in government or letting Hillary explain how her experiences make her uniquely qualified, that will make a difference.

3) If it comes off as another popularity contest or clown show like the GOP debates, I think these debates could come and go without substantially moving the polls one way or another. If they just play into whatever Faux News or Tabloids would want them to do to get the loudest cheers, I think it will be a huge waste of time.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 23 • Views: 6,224 • Replies: 110

Below viewing threshold (view)
snood

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2015 03:38 pm
Really am interested to know others' thoughts about the Dem debates.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2015 03:50 pm
thank the deity of your choice our debates are over, now we just have to wait two weeks to see which dope wins, and if we go to the polls again in six months or we get a few years of relative peace
snood

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2015 03:56 pm
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

thank the deity of your choice our debates are over, now we just have to wait two weeks to see which dope wins, and if we go to the polls again in six months or we get a few years of relative peace

In Australia (that's where you're from, right?) they don't have these ridiculously prolonged campaigns that last for years, do they?
djjd62

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2015 04:02 pm
@snood,
Canada, this has been one of the longest, 76 days from the election call to the vote
0 Replies

coldjoint

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2015 04:48 pm
@snood,
Quote:
Really am interested to know others' thoughts about the Dem debates.

^Your post prior to this one^

After saying that, you talk about Australia?

Quote:
In Australia (that's where you're from, right?) they don't have these ridiculously prolonged campaigns that last for years, do they?

Keep pounding sand for the Democrats.

0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2015 05:01 pm
@snood,
I will be looking to see what they do about their agreement to try not to talk about each other, especially negatively. Two policy wonks talking on a stage is not likely to go over well with the public. Hillary might compensate by going after R's, but that will make her look mean if Sanders does not join her and also dismissive of Sanders, so I dont see how that works for her.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2015 07:52 pm
@snood,
Thanks for the heads up.

Back tomorrow.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2015 11:01 pm
@snood,
I hope the moderator ask serious policy questions that affect everyday people in their daily lives.
Lash

Reply Tue 6 Oct, 2015 04:50 am
@Real Music,
If they don't, Bernie will call them on it.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 6 Oct, 2015 06:45 am
I'm not encouraged by the choice of moderator for the first one - Anderson Cooper. I've seen him do good, incisive, no-bullshit questioning, but I've more often seen him just regurgitate whatever headline fluff is selling most briskly at the moment. I mean, his claim to fame is those super sensationalist 'man on the spot' type reports during and after Hurricane Katrina, being sure to show him battered by the storm or standing in waist deep water. Hopefully he can resist his spotlight hogging urges and ask some useful questions.
engineer

Reply Tue 6 Oct, 2015 07:45 am
@snood,
I'm not really worried about the moderator. All the Democratic candidates are policy wonks at heart. I think the entire debate is going to be long on specifics and short on fireworks.
snood

Reply Tue 6 Oct, 2015 07:48 am
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

I'm not really worried about the moderator. All the Democratic candidates are policy wonks at heart. I think the entire debate is going to be long on specifics and short on fireworks.

I hope you're right. We get enough drama from the GOP - if the Dems stick to issues it might not be a popcorn munching event, but it will be a welcome contrast for me.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 6 Oct, 2015 11:21 am
If the Dem candidates cannot deal with more substantive issues than that clown carload from the other party...

...we ARE in serious trouble.

Being more substantive than the Republican "debates" is not an especially high bar with which to deal!

I expect almost all substance...and just a moderate amount of fluff. (You cannot eliminate all!)

I sure hope there is more humor and humanity among the participants.
coldjoint

Reply Tue 6 Oct, 2015 11:24 am
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
I expect almost all substance

Substance? Better have the plunger ready. The crap should be overflowing.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 6 Oct, 2015 04:31 pm
@Frank Apisa,
I see gun control as being one of the most crucial issues in the particular competition between Hillary and Bernie. This is an excellent piece by Joan Walsh the lays out clearly each candidates strengths and weaknesses on the issue (Hint: Hillary has the advantage on this one) While Bernie's tiptoeing and insisting that the solution is for pro and con states to "talk to each other" may have won him the issue in Vermont, it remains to be seen whether that approach will fly nationally.

http://www.thenation.com/article/hillary-clinton-is-running-to-bernie-sanderss-left-on-this-one-issue/

I also think immigration might loom large. Clinton has been coming out and distancing herself from Obama, being much more lenient in her stated policy. And you just KNOW Bernie isn't going to sit still for anyone trying to get to the left of him on immigration.
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 6 Oct, 2015 04:45 pm
@snood,
Gonna be some interesting discussions at the debate, Snood.

Hope all the candidate remember to aim the heat toward the other side of the aisle.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Reply Tue 6 Oct, 2015 06:47 pm
@snood,
Quote:
I also think immigration might loom large. Clinton has been coming out and distancing herself from Obama, being much more lenient in her stated policy. And you just KNOW Bernie isn't going to sit still for anyone trying to get to the left of him on immigration.

What ever they can give away, as long as it isn't theirs(including the country), is no problem from Democrats. They buy votes, and import them, anyway they can.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 10 Oct, 2015 06:45 am
Call me a politics junkie or a sucker for this kind of reality show, but I’m excited about the debate Tuesday night. This could be big for either Bernie or Hillary or both. This will be the first time the majority of non-political junkies get a good look at Bernie and form an impression of him. This may be Hillary’s chance to shine as a credible, viable candidate and shed some of the baggage of Benghazi and server-gate. If they get to be specific and not just dramatic, here are some things I’ll be listening for:

1) Wall Street Reform – Clinton is perceived as collusive with Wall Street. She just this week released her plan that is much stronger than Obama’s weak enforcement record against financial misconduct. Will Bernie reveal a plan for far more specific and stronger reform?

2) Affordable Care Act – Bernie has often said that Obamacare is better than what we had, doesn’t go far enough, and would make it more Universal. Clinton has come out similarly, but specifically opposing the “Cadillac Tax” in Obamacare that imposes a 40% excise tax on employers offering certain levels of coverage. Will they be clearer about how and what they would change in Obamacare?

3) Gun Control – This is the area that may show the biggest contrast between the two. Hillary is pushing for stronger administrative actions than Obama has yet taken – specifically calling for an end to the legal immunity that firearms dealers and manufacturers have enjoyed. Bernie is also for more restrictions, but hasn’t been as specific yet. Will Hillary be perceived as clearly more progressive here?

4) How to pay for stuff - There may or may not be a spirited exchange about how exactly the candidates would pay for some of the things they propose. For instance, Bernie has proposed a single-payer health care plan and universal free college education. Hillary has talked about a plan for reducing prescription drug prices. Can they lay out how they would pay for these things?

I'll be there with popcorn and a soda!