What are the important court decisions backing Freedom of Association?

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2015 10:55 pm
I'm in a discussion with a Russian troll on another forum who wants to know why the US didn't sign some anti-Nazi resolution in the UN. The real reason we didn't sign it is because some pro-Nazi groups were in on the removal of Yanukovych in Ukraine, so the Russkies are trying to say these groups were the ONLY ones who wanted Yanukovych gone, which is untrue. Anyway, examining the anti-Nazi resolution, it appears to violate the concept of Freedom of Association. So to argue this with the Russian troll, I just need a couple of precedents to uphold Freedom of Association, and I don't know how to look them up.

Any chance of getting help on this?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 646 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 3 Oct, 2015 02:41 am
One good first step in "looking up" anything is to conduct a web search. I did this using Google as the search engine and got many, many hits right away. Here are a few of them:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_of_association

http://www.theacru.org/issue-freedom-of-association/

http://law2.umkc.edu/faculty/projects/ftrials/conlaw/association.htm

When searching for any information using a search engine, it is crucially important to use an effective search criterion. I used "freedom of association+court rulings." If you are searching for something, and don't find what you had hoped to find, then you probably need to refine or change your search criterion.

I am bemused that you would care whether or not you can take down the arguments of someone whom you consider a troll. That would probably be a waste of time. Specifically, the FSB, the successor to the KGB in the Russian Federation, employs people to spread pro-Russian propaganda, and propaganda which vilifies those identified as Russia's enemies. In one article which i read, it was stated that the FSB pays $250/month for this kind of activity. That's not something which would support much of a life style, but it could be a good way to supplement one's income.
Blickers

Reply Sat 3 Oct, 2015 12:42 pm
@Setanta,
Thank you for the answer. I was looking more for something along the lines of the US government not being allowed to arrest people for joining an organization unless the individual has taken part in some illegal activity the members of that organization might have done. In other words, the government can't ban organizations, unless the organization wants to violently overthrow the government of the USA. Your links have led to Alabama vs the NAACP, which is useful, now I'm trying for more.

Just for the record, in case you might be interested, here's a link to the UN Resolution-not sure if this was a committee resolution or if it ever got to the General Assembly. First you go to this page:
http://www.un.org/en/ga/third/69/propslist.shtml
Then click on the link in Item 66. Which is: A/C.3/69/L.56/Rev.1 . Otherwise the UN's page blocks the link.

The part I'm objecting to is section 28(b) on page 6:
"Shall declare illegal and prohibit organizations, and organized and all
other propaganda activities, that promote and incite racial discrimination, and shall recognize participation in such organizations or activities as an offence punishable by law." I figured that would be unconstitutional if it were a law in this country, so there would be little point in voting for a resolution calling for other countries to do things we consider unconstitutional.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 4 Oct, 2015 01:48 am
If you are trying for more, then refine the search criterion and do more searches. I have only a limited interest in this topic, and won't exert myself very much. Organizations with which one might wish to associate are protected by the first amendment. Basically, you or an organization can say anything you want, as long as you don't incite criminality.
0 Replies