Blank page caused by cookies on login

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2015 03:20 am
So for a day and a half now, I've been getting a problem with attempts to log in to Facebook. Upon login, and after, any Facebook page I go to only presents a completely blank page. The problem works across Firefox, Chrome, and Internet Explorer. It can be rectified by clearing any facebook specific cookies, but of course, without cookies, Facebook presumes you are not logged in, so this doesn't actually help bypass the problem, only diagnose the cause. I have managed to log in to an alternate account (which is unfortunately not suitable for long term use, or as a replacement to my own account), so I know the problem is specific to the cookies facebook adds to my account's login, and not others or to my computer. I've done all the virus scanning, cache clearing, incognito mode, etc, etc, etc. Unfortunately, I'm not especially skilled with computers, so I'm at a loss as to what to do next or how to fix this, besides just making a new account and pretending the problem won't happen again :/

Any ideas?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,048 • Replies: 5
No top replies

jespah

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2015 05:57 am
Then clear cookies and log back into Facebook.
0 Replies

Starhammer

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2015 02:08 pm
@Starhammer,
Like I said, upon clearing cookies, Facebook treats you as logged out. Upon logging in, Facebook adds cookies that cause the problem.

Anybody have any answers that aren't an attempt to be snarky and condescending? I know this is the internet and that seems unrealistic...
jespah

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2015 02:46 pm
@Starhammer,
Actually, that's not how I understood what you originally said. I'm sorry if you thought I was being snarky; now I have more information.

You're getting malformed cookies for some reason or another. Try another computer, e. g. at a neighbor's or the like and at least confirm that the issue is absolutely on your hardware or ISP end and not your account. If you can get in with another computer, then the next step is to contact Facebook support.
Starhammer

Reply Sat 3 Oct, 2015 06:24 am
@jespah,
I'll give that a try when I can. Thank you for the idea.
0 Replies

Starhammer

Reply Sun 4 Oct, 2015 01:56 am
@jespah,
Ok, tried from another computer. Identical behavior. Facebook is definitely sending out bad cookies when my account logs in.
0 Replies