How Did You Learn The Bible?

Squeakybro

Reply Tue 17 Nov, 2015 01:36 pm
@neologist,
Now some of the things you have mentioned make sense. Personally I just take a zippo along.
neologist

Reply Tue 17 Nov, 2015 02:26 pm
@Squeakybro,
The flint in your Zippo, though small, can be encouraged to light other forms of tinder if fuel should run dry.

It happens often. And it's a shame. An experienced woodsman dies of exposure through some mistake. I like to refer folks to the Jack London story To Build a Fire. It's a short and gut wrenching read. But it shows the importance of planning.
Squeakybro

Reply Tue 17 Nov, 2015 04:43 pm
@neologist,
Well I don't need any of that. When I camp I am always checked on twice a day.
0 Replies

Smileyrius

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2015 10:55 am
@Squeakybro,
Quote:
The word scriptures doesn't even show up in the old testament. And the word scripture only shows up in one verse that is speaking in the future. The new testament is scripture.

I often wonder if you think about why this is? The Hebrew scriptures are a collection of writings by Gods appointed judges, prophets and kings. When the Greek scriptures were being written, they did not yet have the Greek scriptures, so they were referring at that time to the holy writings that they used, namely the Hebrew scriptures.

We have been over Pauls letter to Timothy (2 Timothy 3), but think about what he was writing to young Timothy. Was he truly suggesting that he had known from youth texts that had not been written yet? Was he lying to Timothy? or was he just putting on a performance, writing as if to Timothy but that Timothy should ignore it? How do you discount the texts Timothy had known from youth without going beyond what is written?
Squeakybro

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2015 11:59 am
@Smileyrius,
Paul taught Timothy the new testament.

2 Tim 3:10-15
10 But you have carefully followed my doctrine, manner of life, purpose, faith, longsuffering, love, perseverance,
11 persecutions, afflictions, which happened to me at Antioch, at Iconium, at Lystra-- what persecutions I endured. And out of them all the Lord delivered me.
12 Yes, and all who desire to live godly in Christ Jesus will suffer persecution.
13 But evil men and impostors will grow worse and worse, deceiving and being deceived.
14 But you must continue in the things which you have learned and been assured of, knowing from whom you have learned them,
15 and that from childhood you have known the Holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.
(NKJ)

The new testament is based on better promises.

Heb 8:6-7
6 But now He has obtained a more excellent ministry, inasmuch as He is also Mediator of a better covenant, which was established on better promises.
7 For if that first covenant had been faultless, then no place would have been sought for a second.
(NKJ)

And if you don't abide(live) in the new testament you don't have God. And you lose the promises.

II Jn 1:8-11
8 Look to yourselves, that we do not lose those things we worked for, but that we may receive a full reward.
9 Whoever transgresses and does not abide in the doctrine of Christ does not have God. He who abides in the doctrine of Christ has both the Father and the Son.
10 If anyone comes to you and does not bring this doctrine, do not receive him into your house nor greet him;
11 for he who greets him shares in his evil deeds.
(NKJ)

Smileyrius

Reply Thu 19 Nov, 2015 11:02 am
@Squeakybro,
You are still asserting that the old covenant and the Hebrew scriptures are one and the same. if you truly believe that then I would assume you have not read them. The "old covenant" has been replaced yes, the new covenant is the only means of salvation yes,

Squeaky wrote:
The new testament is based on better promises.

but then you quoted
the king james wrote:
He is also Mediator of a better covenant, which was established on better promises

I agree that he is the mediator of a better covenant, which is based on better promises, yet your paraphrase there changes the meaning.
squeaky wrote:
And if you don't abide(live) in the new testament you don't have God.

KJV wrote:
Whoever transgresses and does not abide in the doctrine of Christ does not have God

you are again paraphrasing. what the scripture says I have no problem with, but your paraphrasing here again changes what the scripture is speaking about

The covenant is not the Hebrew Scriptures as much as the doctrine of the Christ is not the Greek scriptures, The new and old testament are modern terms, not actually used in reference to collections of scripture at the time. Paul taught Timothy the doctrine of the Christ, which he was prepared for through his upbringing through his mother Eunice, who was a devout Jew.

Squeakybro

Reply Thu 19 Nov, 2015 12:11 pm
@Smileyrius,
Others have used them same deceptions on me before. It didn't work for them, and It isn't going to work for you. No need in even trying it. They couldn't quote the Word either. The Word didn't abide in them either.

John 5:39-41
39 "You search the Scriptures, for in them you think you have eternal life; and these are they which testify of Me.
40 "But you are not willing to come to Me that you may have life.
41 "I do not receive honor from men.
(NKJ)

neologist

Reply Thu 19 Nov, 2015 12:17 pm
@Squeakybro,
Squeakybro wrote:
Others have used them same deceptions on me before. It didn't work for them, and It isn't going to work for you.
The problem is you are being deceived over what you believe to be deceptions. Starting with your identification of the holy spirit as a person.
Squeakybro

Reply Thu 19 Nov, 2015 01:00 pm
@neologist,
lolo Not knowing the Holy Spirit is why your deceived by your human wisdom. Your carnality.

Rom 8:6-8
6 For to be carnally minded is death, but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.
7 Because the carnal mind is enmity against God; for it is not subject to the law of God, nor indeed can be.
8 So then, those who are in the flesh cannot please God.
(NKJ)

1 Cor 2:4-7
4 And my speech and my preaching were not with persuasive words of human wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power,
5 that your faith should not be in the wisdom of men but in the power of God.
6 However, we speak wisdom among those who are mature, yet not the wisdom of this age, nor of the rulers of this age, who are coming to nothing.
7 But we speak the wisdom of God in a mystery, the hidden wisdom which God ordained before the ages for our glory,
(NKJ)

0 Replies

Smileyrius

Reply Fri 20 Nov, 2015 08:29 am
@Squeakybro,
Squeaky, you are slow to discern and quick to judge. You assume much of those who disagree with you. That said, from experience with those of your position, I understand why you condemn those who don't accept your teachings on scripture as truth, and I shan't hold it against you. We are each one doing our utmost to be found spotless in the day of our judgement (2Peter 3:14, )
Just a pointer if you are inclined to take note. If the spirit is truly at work in you it would be evident. (Matthew 7:16) you won't need to keep reminding your audience.
(Proverbs 12:15)
Squeakybro

Reply Fri 20 Nov, 2015 09:26 am
@Smileyrius,
But it is evident to those in the meat. Only those in the milk cant see.

1 Cor 2:11-15
11 For what man knows the things of a man except the spirit of the man which is in him? Even so no one knows the things of God except the Spirit of God.
12 Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, that we might know the things that have been freely given to us by God.
13 These things we also speak, not in words which man's wisdom teaches but which the Holy Spirit teaches, comparing spiritual things with spiritual.
14 But the natural man does not receive the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; nor can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

I have encountered a lot like you also. You cant answer questions with the Word, you cant ask questions with the Word, you don't have any revelations of Jesus Christ that I have seen. And yet you assume the authority that you have the right to judge me. And I'm posting the truth.

John 17:17-19
17 "Sanctify them by Your truth. Your word is truth.
18 "As You sent Me into the world, I also have sent them into the world.
19 "And for their sakes I sanctify Myself, that they also may be sanctified by the truth.
(NKJ)

15 But he who is spiritual judges all things, yet he himself is rightly judged by no one.
(NKJ)

0 Replies

AugustineBrother

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2016 01:51 pm
@Squeakybro,
I learned what is of Faith and what isn't, FIRST. Then when I read the Bible I knew the difference between 'God created everything' and 'how God created everything'.

Squeakybro

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2016 09:13 pm
@AugustineBrother,
Faith-Works-Love (By Themselves they are only principles) But together they are righteousness.

People are trying to make a conclusion out of pieces and parts. It cant be done. Faith alone won't get you to heaven. Works alone won't get you to heaven. Love alone won't get you to heaven. That is the only conclusion.

XXX If all you have to present to God is faith, YOU ARE NOTHING.
1 Cor 13:1-2

1 Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal.
2 And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing.
James 2:14
14 What does it profit, my brethren, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can faith save him?
James 2:17-18
17 Thus also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead.
18 But someone will say, "You have faith, and I have works." Show me your faith without your works, and I will show you my faith by my works.
James 2:24
24 You see then that a man is justified by works, and not by faith only.
James 2:26
26 For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.
Rom 16:26
26 but now has been made manifest, and by the prophetic Scriptures has been made known to all nations, according to the commandment of the everlasting God, for obedience to the faith--
(NKJ)

XXX You are saved by grace through faith. But that is NOT SALVATION.

Eph 2:8
8 For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God,
(NKJ)

Luke 6:32-33
32 "But if you love those who love you, what credit is that to you? For even sinners love those who love them.
33 "And if you do good to those who do good to you, what credit is that to you? For even sinners do the same.
(NKJ)

xxx Some stand on faith and some stand on works and some stand on love. They are all principles, they have to be together. So many on here are argueing just one point or part of a whole. You need to understand. Faith without works or love is dead. Works without faith or love is vanity. Love without faith or works is useless. Love is NOT AN EMOTION. Love is an action.

So many are running on blind faith. They dont even know what faith is. In reality their useing trust as faith. Their different. Your faith should be in what is written, all of it. But faith alone will NOT get you to heaven. Works alone will NOT get you to heaven. Love alone will not get you to heaven. What you need is the true faith in the Word of God. If you have the true faith in the Word of God you would try your best to do the works that are in the Word. Now love is NOT a feeling but an action. And the only way to learn what Godly love is would be tod do the works. That is how you learn what love is by trying to do the works. In the Word that you have put your faith in.

Rom 5:1-4
1 Therefore, having been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ,
2 through whom also we have access by faith into this grace in which we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God.
3 And not only that, but we also glory in tribulations, knowing that tribulation produces perseverance;
4 and perseverance, character; and character, hope.
Eph 2:18-20
18 For through Him we both have access by one Spirit to the Father.
19 Now, therefore, you are no longer strangers and foreigners, but fellow citizens with the saints and members of the household of God,
20 having been built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ Himself being the chief corner stone,
Eph 3:12
12 in whom we have boldness and access with confidence through faith in Him.
(NKJ)
0 Replies