Reply Thu 1 Oct, 2015 04:44 pm
Hello,

I am a Dutch girl and I write songs but sometimes I write something down and try it out a couple of times, sing it like a million times and then get the feeling that it´s wrong. Incorrect grammar or just not a real expression.
So please help me out. In the spirit of ´something taking you over´ can you say ´They take over me´? Or does it have to be ´They take me over´?

Thanks in advance Very Happy
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 555 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Ragman

Reply Thu 1 Oct, 2015 08:37 pm
@DutchieSongs,
poetry and song-writing can be however suits you and whatever form you want. That's totally up to you.

That being said, as an English-speaker, however what sounds slightly better logically and to my ear is 'take over me' .

0 Replies

FBM

Reply Thu 1 Oct, 2015 08:43 pm
@DutchieSongs,
I agree with Ragman. Songwriting is art, and you have a lot of freedom to play with words. Both of the phrases you suggest would sound perfectly fine in a song.
McTag

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2015 12:56 am
@FBM,

ABBA made it big in Britain, and worldwide, using slightly awkward English. It was unconscious, and it was charming. Not a problem.
Ragman

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2015 07:51 am
@McTag,
Then there's the case of the group Aha! and their song 'Take On Me'. That's pretty awkward, too. They're still counting their money.
0 Replies