National Honor Society...important .. worth the effort ?

Linkat

Reply Wed 30 Sep, 2015 09:33 pm
When I was in high school I was part of the National Honor Society. It didn't seem that you had to do as much work once you meet the academic requirements.

But now you need to write 2 essays, gather details and adults confirming you were involved with community service, extra curriculum activities and leadership positions as well as write a statement of each of the above.

It was a lot of work to gather and write the essays and statements that my daughter did and now she needs to interview with the staff .... but a friend of hers who has better grades and has the other requirements did not was it worth the effort? In other words how helpful is it?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 855 • Replies: 7
No top replies

roger

Reply Thu 1 Oct, 2015 08:37 am
@Linkat,
What's the benefit. You know the costs in terms of time and effort, but what's the benefit, assuming there is one. I'm really pretty sure that if a graduate approaches an employer with such a certificate in hand, he's going to be laughed out of the office.
Linkat

Reply Thu 1 Oct, 2015 09:26 am
@roger,
This is for high school so it would be used for applying to college not really for an employer. It is supposed to be exclusive where you can't just be a good student academically, but you need to demonstrate that you also excel in community service, activities outside of schoolwork like athletics, band, or other clubs and organizations and have demonstrated leadership skills.

Basically a very well rounded leader. So you apply and if you get in then you also participate in this organization by helping in various community service and or lead these types of projects.

It wasn't this intense when I was in high school, but to be honest everything seems more intense in high school now.

I was in an international honor society in graduate school, but I did nothing .... other than my grades ... I didn't even know anything about until I got a letter congratulating me on the accomplishment. One of my professors nominated me..probably nominated everyone that met whatever the criteria was.

I did put it on my resume. Why wouldn't you put a major accomplishment on a resume? And often times job applications have a spot to put such accomplishments in. I have never been laughed at by an employer for this. And I've seen such things on resumes of interviewees.

0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Thu 1 Oct, 2015 09:34 am
Yes. Do it.

It will look good on college applications. Besides that, it shows the student actually completed a list of tasks.
engineer

Reply Thu 1 Oct, 2015 10:40 am
@PUNKEY,
I'm in favor as well. The things she is being asked to do are things she will be asked to do when filling out college applications, applying for scholarships, etc. It's good practice. It also does look good on college applications. Probably doesn't mean a whole lot but it the big scheme of things it doesn't cost a lot either. Depending on your school, there will likely be some sort of recognition at graduation. My son had a special honors cord that was worn with the cap and gown.
Linkat

Reply Thu 1 Oct, 2015 10:55 am
@engineer,
Good points on the scholarship and application practice. Keep copies of the essays and so forth and then you can tweak as needed for these sorts of things.

I figure one more accomplishment on your application doesn't hurt either.

From the sounds of it ... it seems they take just about everyone who puts in the effort to complete the process...assuming you meet the qualifications ... in other words can demonstrate that you have participated in all 3 areas once you meet the academic requirement.

And bonus I get to go to a nice recption.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2015 09:17 am
I read her essays and statements - they were very touching and one brought a tear to my eye. Full of real feeling. Her interview is set for toward the end of the month. She heard the interview is very short - usually just a question or two on anything they might not be clear on - or if you seem lacking in one area.

Good news a couple of the teachers/administrators that were on the board selecting and reviewing the applications are ones that love my daughter.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2015 11:27 am
So all the work paid off - she was selected. We go to induction this week.

Does give you an incentive though - if your gpa falls below a certain threshold you might be kicked out. Also, if you get into any sort of trouble. Guess it helps them keep on the straight path.
0 Replies