The Cold War?

Reply Tue 29 Sep, 2015 10:50 pm
I have an assignment due in one of my college courses and I'm suppose to interview people about what they know about the Cold War. Here are some suggested questions that my professor gave us. Personal recollections about your life during the Cold War if you lived in that time (like around the 50's-60's) or if you had parents that talked about it.

Here are the example questions I was given.
1) What words or phrases come to mind when you think of the term Cold War?

2) Did you ever study the Cold War in school? If so, what are some aspects of the Cold War that you remember?

3) Who were the parties involved in the Cold War?

4) Can you name any key events that are associated with the Cold War?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 1,963 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 30 Sep, 2015 03:25 am
@Chights47,
1. MAD--mutual assured destruction

2. No, we didn't study it in school, we lived it.

I can't believe your question number three. It was shirts versus skins.

4. The building of the Berlin Wall, and subsequent reports of those who were killed trying to cross the wall, or who successfully tunneled from East Berlin to West Berlin. The Cuban revolution, when Castro was our buddy, and then he suddenly became the Devil incarnate.

But the biggie was the Cuban missile crisis--look it up, if you need to.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 30 Sep, 2015 05:54 am
@Chights47,
Chights47 wrote:

I have an assignment due in one of my college courses and I'm suppose to interview people about what they know about the Cold War. Here are some suggested questions that my professor gave us. Personal recollections about your life during the Cold War if you lived in that time (like around the 50's-60's) or if you had parents that talked about it.

1) What words or phrases come to mind when you think of the term Cold War? A bomb, H bomb, fallout shelter, take cover. (Take cover were the words that started a drill in schools. When the teacher said, "Take cover," all the kids had to get under their desks with their heads facing away from the windows. How this could protect us from a nuclear bomb was never made clear. )

2) Did you ever study the Cold War in school? If so, what are some aspects of the Cold War that you remember?No we didn't study it in school. As set said, we lived it.

3) Who were the parties involved in the Cold War? Soviet Union, US, Europe, Communist countries

4) Can you name any key events that are associated with the Cold War? Cuban missile crisis.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 30 Sep, 2015 06:17 am
@Chights47,
Chights47 wrote:

2) Did you ever study the Cold War in school? If so, what are some aspects of the Cold War that you remember?

How many people have you interviewed so far?

Are there any questions you have asked them that are not on the suggested list?
izzythepush

Reply Wed 30 Sep, 2015 08:22 am
This side of the pond, the Prague Spring and the fall of Dubcek plays large. Someone painted Long Live Dubcek on a wall on a main road which remained until about five years ago.

http://www.diverse.4mg.com/dubcek1.jpg

Quote:
The following remains in place,decades on,partially overgrown and adulterated. On Mansbridge Rd on the original end of Allington Lane now called Romill Close near Gaters Mill. It reads , apparently 1968 vintage.
LONG LIVE DUBCEK

http://www.divdev.fsnet.co.uk/graff.htm
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 30 Sep, 2015 09:02 am
@izzythepush,
I lived most of my life in the Cold War, literally faced it.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Wed 30 Sep, 2015 09:49 am
@Chights47,

Glasnost, Solidarność

I studied the early part of the Cold War in school. I lived through the end of it.

The Western Bloc and the Eastern Bloc, generally.

The Prague Spring, 1980 Summer Olympics
0 Replies

Chights47

Reply Wed 30 Sep, 2015 03:25 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Thanks for the response Frank! I haven't really been able to fully interview anyone, I've been able to ask a couple colleagues some of these questions but not enough for a full interview. The goal of my assignment is just to try an analyze how people understand the Cold War today.
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 30 Sep, 2015 03:34 pm
@Chights47,
Chights47 wrote:

Thanks for the response Frank! I haven't really been able to fully interview anyone, I've been able to ask a couple colleagues some of these questions but not enough for a full interview. The goal of my assignment is just to try an analyze how people understand the Cold War today.

During the most troubling and dangerous days of the Cold War, Chights...I was a member of SAC...the most fearsome war force ever assembled. A third of our airplanes were always in the air...loaded with thermonuclear bombs...and assigned targets if hostilities broke out.

I'm glad we (meaning both sides) showed the world that we were not as primitive as some thought humans to be.

We got through it!

RABEL222

Reply Wed 30 Sep, 2015 10:04 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
We got through it!

By hiding under our desk. The young kids were most affected by this action.
0 Replies