dealing with Facebook Page of a former employer

Reply Tue 29 Sep, 2015 05:12 pm
Hi. Several years ago i worked for a company and developed a facebook page branded to me as an outside sales person. I am now in a different industry and and working hard to develop my identity in that business. I have hired someone to help with marketing and he says i am heavily branded to the former company and that page has 1200 friends. ultimately i would love to pull those friends over to my new page but if i cant i cant. I would also like to get that page deleted so i am branded/associated with that company. I have no admin access, i do know the email it was registered under originally and i was able to change it my current email. I dont know the password i used way back then. I really prefer not to contact the former employer.

jespah

Reply Tue 29 Sep, 2015 05:18 pm
@FBarizona1 ,
You can't just delete and grab. This page does not belong to you; it belongs to your former employer. In fact, changing the email address smells rather fishy to me and feels unethical.

Actually, I don't see why you or your marketing person feel this page has to go away at all. It's proof of your competence, readily available online. Attract those 1200 people like you would anyone - be great online. Nearly everyone on the planet realizes that people change jobs.

You can also, of course, get your leads elsewhere. 1200 is but a small drop in the Facebook bucket. You can send invites to those 1200 people (it'll take you a while) to ask them to like any new page you make - and make one which you control and is not tied to any employer.

That would be the ethical way to do it.
0 Replies