How do you fatten up a cat?

Montana

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2004 12:22 pm
That's great news :-D

Are you giving him the wet food too?
0 Replies

princesspupule

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2004 04:08 pm
I got KalKan Optimum last time, and he's not crazy about it... He likes it a little better w/brewer's yeast smashed into it(and it makes it better for him, all those B vitamins Smile.) Next time I'm buying Iams canned and seeing what difference THAT makes. I swear, his neck and shoulders are thickening up and it's only been a few days! He's not the scrawny 9oz. weakling of the beach anymore :wink:
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2004 04:51 pm
I tried some other wet food that's expensive too, but Cali didn't like it much, but she loves the Iams. I'm glad your kitty is happy :-D
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2004 04:54 pm
http://static.wired.com/books/96/04/stuff/index4a.bug.gif

<excuse me. I just dropped in for a second to insert a frog image>
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2004 04:55 pm
LOL!
0 Replies

Tidewaterbound

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2004 05:39 pm
I'll second the stopping of the milk/cream. Outside kitties love it, but it's very bad for them--will give them worms. I've finally gotten hubby to stop giving them the treat they love SO much, after having to go to the vet's to get worm medicine.

For kittens, kitten chow is best. Iams if you can afford it, if not, Purina Kitten chow will do. Also, when they are just weened. Soak the kitten chow in water, it makes it easier for the little ones to eat and digest. They also know when they are full faster.

Don't forget the canned food, a little wet food is a must.

Good luck PrincessP.

Oh, and Montana, your kitten is a cutie for sure.
0 Replies

Tidewaterbound

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2004 05:40 pm
gustavratzenhofer wrote:

Just as long as it isn't a toad. Shocked
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2004 09:14 pm
AngryWaves wrote:
I'll second the stopping of the milk/cream. Outside kitties love it, but it's very bad for them--will give them worms. I've finally gotten hubby to stop giving them the treat they love SO much, after having to go to the vet's to get worm medicine.

For kittens, kitten chow is best. Iams if you can afford it, if not, Purina Kitten chow will do. Also, when they are just weened. Soak the kitten chow in water, it makes it easier for the little ones to eat and digest. They also know when they are full faster.

Don't forget the canned food, a little wet food is a must.

Good luck PrincessP.

Oh, and Montana, your kitten is a cutie for sure.

Yup, good advice for sure.

Thanks AngryWaves, she's a prize to our family :-)
0 Replies

fortune

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2004 07:53 am
Though I am sadly cat deprived at the moment, I have always had cats in the past. Quite a few to be precise. When you have veritable pride of hungry cats the feeding can get a wee bit expensive. Our solution to this was to provide the dry food as normal but instead of buying boxes and boxes of canned food, I'd just pick up some liver for the little ones, a bit messy to prepare but the cats just loved it.
0 Replies

bigdice67

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2004 09:58 am
We have a brother and a sister from the same litter, and lemme tell ya, the girl is petite and weighs about 9lbs, which is just perfect. Her brother though, I mean, I don't know what went wrong, they've always eaten the same food, dry food the whole day(Dr. Hills), and wet food in the evening, but our tiny little tomcat (back then...) is now a 13lbs monster...cuddly as hell, and just muscular!
0 Replies

princesspupule

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2004 11:06 am
bigdice67 wrote:
We have a brother and a sister from the same litter, and lemme tell ya, the girl is petite and weighs about 9lbs, which is just perfect. Her brother though, I mean, I don't know what went wrong, they've always eaten the same food, dry food the whole day(Dr. Hills), and wet food in the evening, but our tiny little tomcat (back then...) is now a 13lbs monster...cuddly as hell, and just muscular!

Is Dr. Hills a brand name? I don't think they sell it in Hawaii... Iams is working: he has chisled musculature and his neck is thickening up quite handsomely on the Iams we've been feeding him since it was mentioned here. I finally finished up the end of the canned food I had bought on sale and have a couple cans of Iams to try on him as well as the dry. He seems to prefer the Iams dry to his wet, so Iams must be most tasty...
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2004 12:06 pm
AngryWaves wrote:
gustavratzenhofer wrote:

Just as long as it isn't a toad. Shocked

Tell me about it. Once you kiss the toad, gus gets uglier.
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2004 03:19 am
Princesspupule, BigDice is talking about Hill's Science Plan. They like Iams, also...

Glad to hear that you cat is doing fine!
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2004 08:38 am
Princess
That's great news. I'm glad he's on his way to healthy living :-)

See how big and healthy my girl has gotten Laughing

http://www.able2know.com/gallery/albums/userpics/11505/normal_Mvc-015f%7E11.jpg
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2004 09:37 am
Lol, Montana - and she is soo elegant! I wish I could see her in real life. She is such a little beauty!
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2004 09:45 am
Have you explained to Cali that young ladies should keep their legs together? That is MOST unladylike.

<LOL> My Rosie didn't listen either.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2004 09:46 am
LOL! Thanks urs. I wish you could meet her too. She's very social :-)
0 Replies

Rattenburg

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2004 05:46 pm
You won't change his genetics by feeding him unhealthy foods. If he has small genetics, he will be small, you can't change that. If you feed him foods with too high of a nutrient content, you can end up killing him or ruining him by killing his liver, kidneys and all those organs. If you want a big cat, go adopt one from a breeder that has big parents with big cats in their lines.
0 Replies

Rattenburg

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2004 05:49 pm
urs53 wrote:
Princesspupule, BigDice is talking about Hill's Science Plan. They like Iams, also...

Glad to hear that you cat is doing fine!

Actually, you can get better and cheaper food than Science Diet. Just look at the ingredients, I think the first ingredient is corn meal, not very healthy!
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2004 05:50 pm
Eva wrote:
Have you explained to Cali that young ladies should keep their legs together? That is MOST unladylike.

<LOL> My Rosie didn't listen either.

LOL Eva. I don't know how I missed your post. This little girl simply has no manners, haha!
0 Replies