Salt and Blood Pressure - Long Term or Short Term Effect?

gollum

Wed 23 Sep, 2015 06:25 am
If you eat a meal with a lot of salt in it, does it cause your blood pressure to go up shortly after and then go back down to where it was before your meal?

Or, does a high-salt diet over years cause a long-term increase in blood pressure?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 13 • Views: 4,668 • Replies: 20
Topic Closed
No top replies

Ragman

Wed 23 Sep, 2015 06:33 am
@gollum,
That may depend on your specific health. If you have impaired kidney or other cardiac and/or other organ problems, it may stay higher for a while longer.

If you're a generally healthy compromised person, the effect could be temporary. However, all that being said, senior people are advised to keep salt intake lower to avoid taxing and weakening organs like the kidneys and heart.

Google is your friend. When I used Google to do your search, I got this Wikipedia article on the health effects of salt on health:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Health_effects_of_salt
ossobuco

Wed 23 Sep, 2015 06:37 am
@gollum,
I've read at least thirty years ago that salt will affect some people negatively and not others. Do you never bother to use Google? I just did. Considering looking up the words 'salt and blood pressure'.

Here's an article about it in a Time Magazine from last year:

http://time.com/3313332/salt-and-blood-pressure/
Ragman

Wed 23 Sep, 2015 06:39 am
@ossobuco,
(Note to Gollum): hello, wall!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Wed 23 Sep, 2015 06:39 am
@Ragman,
Great minds, eh?
Ragman

Wed 23 Sep, 2015 06:40 am
@ossobuco,
hiya hiya!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Wed 23 Sep, 2015 08:59 am
salt.

confusing.

in the news in the last couple of weeks

http://www.reviewjournal.com/sponsored-content/the-dangers-low-salt-diet

Quote:
(BPT) - Salt, or sodium chloride, is essential for life. In fact, no mineral is more essential to human survival than sodium because it allows nerves to send and receive electrical impulses, helps your muscles stay strong, and keeps your cells and brain functioning. However, sodium chloride (salt) is a nutrient that the body cannot produce, and therefore it must be eaten.

The average American eats about 3,400 mg per day of sodium, according to The National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey.

You may have heard that this is too much, but according to new research, it may actually be on the low side of the healthy range.

A 2014 study, published in the New England Journal of Medicine, tested sodium consumption in more than 100,000 people in 17 countries. The study found that the healthy range for sodium consumption was between 3,000 and 6,000 mg per day. Eating more than 7,000 mg per day of sodium increases your risk of death or cardiovascular incidents, but not as much as eating less than 3,000 mg per day.

The low salt diet was significantly more harmful than the high salt diet.

http://www.belmarrahealth.com/sodium-potassium-balance-in-diet-critical-in-chronic-kidney-disease-prevention/

http://www.ticotimes.net/2015/09/14/costa-ricans-diet-includes-much-salt-sugar-experts-say

http://www.hcplive.com/medical-news/high-salt-diet-may-lead-to-multiple-sclerosis-onset-

too much?
too little?

talk to a doc and get a referral to a dietitian if you've got health issue/concerns
0 Replies

ossobuco

Wed 23 Sep, 2015 09:14 am
Righto. I've know about dangers of low sodium for years too, but not re the numbers you just quoted. Thanks for that. For years here the going number was 2800 re what not to go beyond.

I'm wondering now about some of the salt worrying as being partially promoted by product purveyors. It has probably been a mix of the complications of simplifying physiology for what was taken to be mass benefit.

Ragman

Wed 23 Sep, 2015 12:18 pm
@ossobuco,
2800 mg...? Yikes! That sure sounds like a lot of salt in one day.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Thu 24 Sep, 2015 03:08 am
Wasn't the OP asking whether the rise in blood pressure is immediate but temporary or long term?
piercen54

Thu 24 Sep, 2015 03:20 am
@gollum,
Its short term in fact. But don't take too much salt on daily basis..
0 Replies

Setanta

Thu 24 Sep, 2015 03:22 am
@Brandon9000,
Yes, he was. The rise in blood pressure is immediate and temporary. If one's BP is consistently too high, reducing salt intake will effect an immediate change--and a temporary one if one goes back to a high salt diet.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Fri 25 Sep, 2015 03:56 pm
@gollum,
Perhaps and no.

The anti-salt program is a crazy bunch of BS perpetuated by government agencies that depended on it for continued funding

Do a little research, it's all out there.
0 Replies

mattiebrown777

Fri 23 Sep, 2016 01:05 am
@gollum,
When your heart beats, it pumps blood round your body to give the body the energy and oxygen it needs. Pressure is needed to make the blood circulate. The pressure pushes against the walls of your arteries (blood vessels) and your blood pressure is a measure of the strength of this pushing, combined with the resistance from the artery walls.
0 Replies

sjfivfcare

Tue 31 Jan, 2017 01:24 am
@gollum,
Too much salt put adverse affects on one's health
such as on KIDNEYS, BONES, HEART, SKIN, STOMACH so try to eat salt as much low as possible
0 Replies

LeonReyfman

Mon 24 Apr, 2017 08:10 am
@gollum,
Salt works on your kidneys to make your body hold on to more water.
This extra stored water raises your blood pressure and puts strain on your kidneys, arteries, heart and brain.
Tips to reduce salt intake:
1)Eat fresh foods as much as possible.
2)Cut back on condiments loaded with sodium.
3)Try other seasonings, such as basil, curry, and oregano.
4)Buy a cookbook of low-sodium recipes.
5)Rinse off all canned foods before eating.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Mon 24 Apr, 2017 02:14 pm
"If you eat a meal with a lot of salt in it, does it cause your blood pressure to go up shortly after and then go back down to where it was before your meal?

Or, does a high-salt diet over years cause a long-term increase in blood pressure? "

I'm now at the age that I feel as well as what I ate. (Even forget the hangover - I now can get food hangovers.) I can tell the next day if I have overeaten, or had too much salty meals or snacks. My fingers swell sightly and I'm very thirsty. It just lasts thru the AM.

Can't eat like that every day.

I am watching my salt intake more now. I do miss the bag of salt/pepper potato chips.

MyFloridaGreen

Sat 29 Dec, 2018 02:24 am
Yes i agree long but short!
0 Replies

roger

Sat 29 Dec, 2018 02:32 am
@PUNKEY,

PUNKEY wrote:

I am watching my salt intake more now. I do miss the bag of salt/pepper potato chips.

Aw, c'mon. Salt, grease, and dehydrated potatoes - what's not to like?
0 Replies

foothillanesthesia

Sat 27 Apr, 2019 04:30 am
@gollum,
If you're a generally healthy compromised person, the effect could be temporary. However, all that being said, senior people are advised to keep salt intake lower to avoid taxing and weakening organs like the kidneys and heart.
0 Replies