Present Perfect of Past Simple?

Reply Tue 22 Sep, 2015 10:44 am
Which of the following sentence is correct?
1) During my career I have worked on papers that have been published.
2) During my career I have worked on papers that were published
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 803 • Replies: 7
No top replies

dalehileman

Reply Tue 22 Sep, 2015 11:45 am
@moritz sulzer,
Mo I think they're both okay, with maybe only a subtle diff in meaning. Maybe with 1) some of the publishing had come later

I hope some of our experts--and we do have some real talent here in a2k--will discuss the grammatical implications
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Tue 22 Sep, 2015 05:28 pm
@moritz sulzer,
#1 is as correct but is a bit stilted.
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Tue 22 Sep, 2015 08:42 pm
@moritz sulzer,
The present perfect is used to show that a past event still has some relevance or influence on the present, and perhaps the future.

Your sample sentences have two clauses, each with a different subject/verb. The event in the first clause, "During my career..." is still relevant to the present, as it's showing your work history/level of expertise, so the present perfect is the correct choice.

I don't think the event in which the papers were published is very relevant to the present. I would use the simple past for that clause.

I think 2) is the sentence I'd write, but I wouldn't raise an issue with anyone who thinks that the publishing of the papers is still relevant and prefers 1), either.
dalehileman

Reply Wed 23 Sep, 2015 10:17 am
@FBM,
Thanks FBM, I'm continually impressed by youse guys
FBM

Reply Wed 23 Sep, 2015 08:21 pm
@dalehileman,
Well, in my day job I pretend to teach English, after all... Wink
dalehileman

Reply Thu 24 Sep, 2015 09:27 am
@FBM,
Well hell FBM I spent 60 years in the field of journ in one capacity or'nother, and I never did catch onto all those technicalities
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Thu 24 Sep, 2015 01:37 pm
On my first trip to Boston I was told to try fresh scrod as soon as I got there. Picked up at the airport by a cab, I asked the driver if he knew "where I could get scrod". He replied that while he'd been asked that many, many times, he'd "never been asked in the past pluperfect tense before."
0 Replies