Punctuation help needed!

Reply Mon 21 Sep, 2015 12:49 am
Hi there,

I am writing my first novel and have some questions regarding punctuation. Can anyone help me? It's my first novel. It's almost finished but for the punctuation!

Questions: 1. I can't believe it's a man I know, a man I’ve worked with, a man I’ve spent time with. Is it ok to use 2 commas above or should they be semi-colons?

I turn to the Messages Sent folder of his iphone. Do I need Italics for Messages Sent

But Joanie; she always believed in me, even when I didn’t myself. Should there be a semi-colon after JOANIE? or something else? Colon? Comma?

"Do you think he could have . . .” Here the person pauses and doesn't finish the sentence. Is this ok or do we need a question mark? "Do you think he could have . . .?"

I cover the receiver and mouth Sorry to my friend. Should Sorry be in italics?

Or should it be written like this: I cover the receiver and mouth, "Sorry" to my friend.

I pull out the now-dusty packet. Should there be a hyphen between NOW and DUSTY

"It wasn't about that." "I read those messages; that’s exactly what it was about."

Can you use semi-colons like this in DIALOGUE or is it best to use full stops? I see semi-colons more often outside dialogue.

“He’s not dangerous in that way, trust me.” Should there be a semi-colon before TRUST ME, even in informal dialogue? How about if it was reversed: "Trust me; he's not dangerous." Or just a comma?
Thank you so much to anyone willing to give advice!

Monique
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 1,099 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 21 Sep, 2015 04:33 am
I don't have time for this now, but if no one else steps up by this evening (North America, Eastern Time Zone), i'll see if i can help you out. This post is just to bookmark your thread.
FBM

Reply Mon 21 Sep, 2015 05:25 am
@MoniqueH,
Quote:
Questions: 1. I can't believe it's a man I know, a man I’ve worked with, a man I’ve spent time with. Is it ok to use 2 commas above or should they be semi-colons?

The above looks acceptable to me. In novels, you have some freedom to be creative, as long as it doesn't annoy the reader(s) and the editor doesn't reject it.

Quote:
I turn to the Messages Sent folder of his iphone. Do I need Italics for Messages Sent

I dont' think so. The initial caps should be enough. Don't underestimate your readers' intelligence. Wink

Quote:
But Joanie; she always believed in me, even when I didn’t myself. Should there be a semi-colon after JOANIE? or something else? Colon? Comma?

Comma. "But Joanie, she..."

Quote:
"Do you think he could have . . .” Here the person pauses and doesn't finish the sentence. Is this ok or do we need a question mark? "Do you think he could have . . .?"

I don't have my MLA manual within reach, but I'm pretty sure the question mark is the way to go.

I cover the receiver and mouth Sorry to my friend. Should Sorry be in italics?

Or should it be written like this: I cover the receiver and mouth, "Sorry" to my friend.

I cover the receiver and mouth, "Sorry!" to my friend.

Quote:
I pull out the now-dusty packet. Should there be a hyphen between NOW and DUSTY

I like the hyphen, but I have a feeling that it's optional here.

Quote:
"It wasn't about that." "I read those messages; that’s exactly what it was about."

Can you use semi-colons like this in DIALOGUE or is it best to use full stops? I see semi-colons more often outside dialogue.

I don't feel comfortable with semicolons in dialogue, but I doubt an editor would object to it.

Quote:
“He’s not dangerous in that way, trust me.” Should there be a semi-colon before TRUST ME, even in informal dialogue? How about if it was reversed: "Trust me; he's not dangerous." Or just a comma?

He's not dangerous in that way. Trust me.
Trust me, he's not dangerous.
MoniqueH

Reply Tue 22 Sep, 2015 12:41 am
@FBM,
Hi FBM,

Thank you so much for your help! You can't imagine how helpful it is!

I'm going to implement all your advice - they all make sense and I agree with them all!

I have some more questions that I will post shortly. I don't expect anyone to want to answer them, but just in case!

Thanks again.

Monique

I guess you are a published author?
MoniqueH

Reply Tue 22 Sep, 2015 12:42 am
@Setanta,
Thanks Setanta,

FBM answered my questions, but thanks anyway!
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Tue 22 Sep, 2015 01:26 am
@MoniqueH,
MoniqueH wrote:

Hi FBM,

Thank you so much for your help! You can't imagine how helpful it is!

I'm going to implement all your advice - they all make sense and I agree with them all!

I have some more questions that I will post shortly. I don't expect anyone to want to answer them, but just in case!

Thanks again.

Monique

I guess you are a published author?

Glad to help. I've had a few minor things published, but nothing that anyone would know about.
0 Replies