"If black lives matter..."

Miller

Reply Sun 20 Sep, 2015 07:50 am
If black lives matter, why doesn't the life of a tiny, 2 year old white baby matter? The baby, little Bella was brutally punched by her mother's boyfriend and as a result the tiny tot died from the inflicked trauma, in the City of Boston.

The boyfriend has claimed that2 year old Bella was possessed, and that he wanted to rid the tiny tot of whatever had possessed this baby.

To me and many other Bostonians, the life of little Bella does matter. And we will never forget her.

maxdancona

Reply Sun 20 Sep, 2015 07:57 am
@Miller,
Why do you think we just observed 9/11? It was to remember the loss of Baby Bella (and all the other losses that happen this time of year).
Miller

Reply Sun 20 Sep, 2015 08:11 am
@maxdancona,
I didn't hear anything mentioned about tiny Bella, during the service held in NYCity. I don't know what was said in Boston.
maxdancona

Reply Sun 20 Sep, 2015 08:15 am
@Miller,
In the 911 remembrances, weren't we honoring the people who died? Bella is a person who died.

Why wouldn't that include her?
maxdancona

Reply Sun 20 Sep, 2015 08:16 am
@maxdancona,
I assume you see what I am doing, Miller (which, by the way, is the exact same thing you are doing.)
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Sun 20 Sep, 2015 09:11 am
@Miller,
We know that Bella matters because it is all over the press, we are talking about it here, there are pictures of Bella all over the news and we demand justice for Bella. Bella clearly matters. Bella matters to you.

When a black child is killed the press scans social media for the worst picture they can find of the parents (if they bother to report it at all), they dig into the past to find out if there were any past run-ins with the law, was domestic violence involved, they insinuate that the child was clearly in a bad home and something was bound to happen and there is very little outcry for justice. That is why people think that maybe we don't think black lives matter and why maybe we should pay as much attention to those deaths as we do to Bella's.
gollum

Reply Sun 20 Sep, 2015 01:49 pm
@engineer,
engineer-

The example that you bring out involves a black child being killed by a black parent.

However, in the newspapers I read of "black lives matter" when an (often white) police officer kills a black man.
engineer

Reply Sun 20 Sep, 2015 06:25 pm
@gollum,
It's the same thing though. The press will immediately find a picture from social media where the victim is holding a beer or making some funny sign (which they will call a gang symbol). They will pour through his background to see if he's ever had trouble with the police, been suspended from school, jaywalked. There won't be a huge outcry for justice and likely there won't be justice. The story is he had it coming.

How do you know a police officer's life matters? His death will be a NATIONAL EVENT. Every police officer in town will stop what he is doing and race in to try to find the killer and there will daily updates in the press, not just the local press, the national press. Maybe the President will call the widow. There will be an outpouring of support from the community and maybe a go fund me page for the kids. There is nothing wrong with any of that, but that is how you know that his life mattered, because people really, really care that it was ended prematurely.
0 Replies