switch with sockets in series

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2015 12:02 am
I have a very strange socket in my bedroom that is on a switch so that it is on when two other sockets are off (and vice versa). I currently have lamps plugged into the two normaly off sockets (off when switch down). The sockets do work normally, untill you plug a load over about 1A into the normally on socket (on when switch down). At this point, when the switch is down, the lamps on the supposedly off side of the circuit turn on by themselves. They appear to be wired in series (just confirmed that now by unplugging lamps and the faulty socket goes out) so that other terminal of the socket is probably at the same potential as the switch. It may also be switching the neutral (I haven't tested the sockets with a multimeter yet).

How dangerous is this given that I sleep next to it? I also live in a rental so if this has to be repaired will we have to pay for it?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 583 • Replies: 2
No top replies

dalehileman

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2015 02:20 pm
@Cyberdragon,
Quote:
(just confirmed that now by unplugging lamps and the faulty socket goes out)
Cyber sorry but you'll have to explain that'n

Incidentally, what happens if you apply a much larger load than 1A to the "normally on" socket

That is, does it come on fully
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2015 02:42 pm
@Cyberdragon,
It certainly sounds like something is wired incorrectly. Call your landlord. If he doesn't respond then whether you can repair it and charge it back to the landlord will depend on the jurisdiction. (Most places in the US will probably allow you to do it.)

Danger is another question entirely. Considering we don't know how long this situation has existed, we don't know. As long as the electrical has standard fusing of some kind, I doubt it is too dangerous as far as fire. The greater danger is in electrocution from the wrong wires being hot if someone is working on it.
0 Replies