What to do when pulled over by police

yakeeko

Tue 15 Sep, 2015 07:03 pm
When you get pulled over by police over a traffic violation that you think you didn't do, what should you do?

maxdancona

Tue 15 Sep, 2015 07:15 pm
@yakeeko,
That depends. Are you White or Black?
BillRM

Tue 15 Sep, 2015 08:14 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
That depends. Are you White or Black?

Bullshit as cops both black and white cops had been killed in traffic stops by both white and black drivers so they could care less about the color of someone skin.

Now after pulling over in as safe location as possible , I would turn the car engine off and keep my hands where the cops can see them.

Then I would be polite to the officer even if facing a large traffic fine for something I might disagree with the officer about.

I sure the hell would not had done what the nut case who later killed herself in jail did IE being rude to the officer when he ask her to put her cigarette out and then refusing a lawful order by the cop to get out of her car and so on.

That sad event would not had happen if she had just allowed the cop to write the ticket for not signaling in changing lanes.

The time to complain about such a ticket or the cop is in court.

maxdancona

Tue 15 Sep, 2015 08:35 pm
@BillRM,
Of course it matters, a traffic stop of a Black person is far more likely to result in police brutality than a stop of a White person. Math doesn't lie.

I am a White man. I was stopped recently for an expired inspection sticker. I didn't worry about where my hands were... in fact when the cop came over I was reaching across the seat to get my registration out of the glove box. The cop waited for me to finish, he wasn't worried at all. He explained to me that there are two type of inspection failures... mine was a safety failure, the most severe kind of failure, and that it wasn't legal for my car to even be on the road. (The issue was an airbag warning light on the dashboard).

I explained to him that I didn't know about the safety failure rule (which was true) and that I had some business to do before work and asked if it was OK if I got it fixed that day. He agreed and let me go.

As a White man I generally make small talk with the officer. My goal is to get him or her to write a warning. And, I do politely make my case to the officer... I have never had a problem. Generally police officers are quite nice I have zero concern of being seen as a threat.

In my decades of life I have been stopped my share of times... I have never even thought about keeping my hands visible. There is no need for a White man to worry about this.

If I were Black, knowing the statistics, I would have a completely different attitude.
BillRM

Wed 16 Sep, 2015 03:54 am
@maxdancona,
Quote:
Of course it matters, a traffic stop of a Black person is far more likely to result in police brutality than a stop of a White person. Math doesn't lie.

Right and the reasons some blacks have more problem then whites is not perhaps their own damn behaviors driven by such police hate organization as BLM? The woman, who later committed suicide, for example and who ended up on the ground in handcuffs over a simple traffic stop did it to herself and have nothing to do with race but everything to do with her own behaviors.

Quote:
I have never even thought about keeping my hands visible. There is no need for a White man to worry about this.

I am as white as white can be and I do keep my hands where they can see them.
Linkat

Wed 16 Sep, 2015 05:41 am
@yakeeko,
Provide your liscence and registration. Then allow the police officer to talk to you. Be polite and if the situation dictates its you can discuss why you feel he is mistaken - always be respectful because unfortunately and right or wrong he is in a position of greater power and being respectful would only help your situation. You can always have your day in court if you feel he is overstepping his boundaries and being an a$$.

I was only pulled over twice - both times I did do something wrong. The first was an honest mistake (didn't notice that I had a delayed red light and went through a red light) and the damn cop gave me a ticket and was completely mean - had I been a bit older and more experienced I would at the very least gone and fought the ticket more for the inappropriate harrassing behaviour of the police offier.

The second I was completely at fault and should have gotten a ticket - I was speeding for no other reason than I was pissed. The police officer was very kind and asked me questions which I honestly answered - he didn't even give me a written warning.

Funny how different a police officer can be.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Wed 16 Sep, 2015 07:51 am
@BillRM,
Quote:
The woman, who later committed suicide, for example and who ended up on the ground in handcuffs over a simple traffic stop did it to herself

So she threw herself on the ground and then put handcuffs on herself. I didn't know that was what happened.

BillRM

Wed 16 Sep, 2015 09:26 am
@maxdancona,
Quote:
So she threw herself on the ground and then put handcuffs on herself. I didn't know that was what happened.

She clearly disobey the lawful order of a police officer and when you do that you are setting yourself up for being arrested.
maxdancona

Wed 16 Sep, 2015 02:59 pm
@BillRM,
If she were White, the police officer would have never escalated.

There were two people involved, one was a private citizen going about her business, the other was a profession police officer sworn to protect and serve.

In my opinion, the police officer's job is to protect and serve. He has the duty to act professionally and to refrain from escalating any situation. It is the police officer, not the civilian citizen, who is duty bound to keep his emotions out of the interaction and to act according to the best interest of the community (including the woman in question).

In my opinion, it is the police who are there to serve the public. You seem to think that it should be the other way around.
BillRM

Wed 16 Sep, 2015 03:10 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
If she were White, the police officer would have never escalated.

So if the woman was white the cop would not have gotten annoy at her for blowing smoke at him and then refusing to put her cigarette out as she was giving him a hard time for pulling her over just for not signaling a lane change?

When he then order her out of the car and she then refused to do so he would had just walk away from her?

Sorry I never knew that a white person had a free lic. to be rude and disrespectful to cops and not obey their lawful orders.

Damn here I could had been rude and annoying and disobeying cops for fifty years if I only knew I could get away with such behaviors due to my skin color!!!!

My damn parents telling me to be polite and respectful to cops when I did not need to be.
BillRM

Wed 16 Sep, 2015 03:38 pm
@maxdancona,
Oh a funny story, when I was driving once on the Florida Turnpike and came to the toll booths every toll lane have a cop looking at the cars.

I assume they was looking for someone but it hit me as funny and I shouted ok gentlemen I will paid the damn toll this time.

Never saw so many cops laughing their heads off.

Thank god I was white as after reading the comments on this website I am sure if I had been black they would have open fired instead of laughing.

0 Replies

maxdancona

Wed 16 Sep, 2015 04:40 pm
@BillRM,
I just watched the video again. She didn't blow smoke at him. She was pretty calm in telling him that she didn't think she should have been stopped. The told him clearly that she thought he was wrong, but she also accepted that he was going to give her a ticket.

If he were a professional, he would have done his job. He would have given her the ticket and walked away. Instead he got his feelings hurt and decided to use his "authority" to stop someone from "disrespecting" him.

Police are professionals who are there to serve the community. You do have the right to be disrespectful of a police officer. They are public servants, not petty dictators.
BillRM

Wed 16 Sep, 2015 05:35 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
I just watched the video again. She didn't blow smoke at him. She was pretty calm in telling him that she didn't think she should have been stopped. The told him clearly that she thought he was wrong, but she also accepted that he was going to give her a ticket.

You do know that I and others had seen it also and know better? In fact I think I had posted the video on this thread.

By the way by promoting this theme of racial policing you are also promoting more unneeded conflicts between the police and the young black males that going to end up costing the lives of a lot of black males and some police officers.

Oh well keep it up and you might be able to get the killing of young black men by the police up to ten percents of the killings in the black community by other blacks.
maxdancona

Wed 16 Sep, 2015 05:55 pm
@BillRM,
I would rather fire the bad police and hire more good ones. That would go a long way to lowering the number of deaths in minority communities.
BillRM

Wed 16 Sep, 2015 06:13 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
I would rather fire the bad police and hire more good ones

You define good as police officers willing to suffer attacks by minorities members without taking self defense steps?

Cops that will say well I hope like hell he will only cripple me at worst as unlike white attackers I am not allowed to defend myself.

Of course your good police officers who will be too intimidated to do forceful policing in the black community and therefore will allowed the gangs to run wild killing even more innocent blacks.

Police are far far down the list of dangers for black young men from the main killer of black young men IE black gangs.
maxdancona

Wed 16 Sep, 2015 06:23 pm
@BillRM,
Quote:
You define good as police officers willing to suffer attacks by minorities members without taking self defense steps?

Yes, that is exactly how I define a good police officer.

A police officer has a duty, and has taken an oath, to serve and protect. We train them, we pay them, and they do a job. Part of that job involves a certain amount of risk. If you aren't willing to take that risk, then you should do some other job.

Of course, a police officer has a right (and a duty) to use violence, even deadly violence in cases where it is absolutely necessary to do so to prevent imminent harm to himself or to others. The key phrase here is "absolutely necessary".

These countless cases of police officers shooting unarmed teenagers, doesn't even come close this standard.

Police officers should be held to a very high standard. They are held to a much greater standard than average citizens in the community. Part of this standard means that they should act with professionalism and restraint in all circumstances. If they feel that this puts them at greater risk, then so be it.

That's what the job entails. Let's fire the bad cops and hire police officers who are willing to do their job correctly in spite of the risk.

BillRM

Wed 16 Sep, 2015 07:03 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
Of course, a police officer has a right (and a duty) to use violence, even deadly violence in cases where it is absolutely necessary to do so to prevent imminent harm to himself or to others. The key phrase here is "absolutely necessary".

Absolutely necessary is not the law, the law is the same for the police as it is for citizens a reasonable fear that your life or the lives of others or great bodily harm is at risk.

Your absolutely necessary standards would result in a lot of police officers being killed or prosecuted, at least until there was no one let that would take the job of a police officer under that standard.
0 Replies

BillRM

Wed 16 Sep, 2015 07:49 pm
@maxdancona,
I think that if you do not wish to allowed black citizens to have police protection as after all police officers are racist killers even the black Uncle Tom police officers, the solution is to seal those area off and allowed the black gangs to run those areas of the cities, similar to what now happen in large scale riots.

In fact, with how police officers are being treated and how you wish them to be treated you will run out of anyone at any price who will be willing to police the poor and gang ridden black areas.

Then you can come back here and cried about the death toll of blacks without police protection.
maxdancona

Thu 17 Sep, 2015 12:02 am
@BillRM,
You are wrong Bill.

There are good police officers that do their job with professionalism, restraint and respect for the community they serve, including minority community. I want these officers to be rewarded, respected and celebrated.

And I want the bad police officers to be held accountable, particularly the ones who shoot unarmed Black teenagers.

But your assertion that there aren't many good police officers who are both ready and able to serve is simply incorrect.

BillRM

Thu 17 Sep, 2015 12:25 am
@maxdancona,
There are damn few police officers when attacked by hoodlums of any color are going to risk leaving their wives/husbands and children without a parent and a partner in order to meet some standard you and people like you would wish to imposed on them before they can defend themselves.. So yes by your light not mine there are damn few "good" cops.

A standard that stated in effect that their lives and wellbeing is of far less worth then their attackers.

Sorry but the reasonable fear standard had always been the standard used by the society when dealing with the need to employed deadly force in self defense of both citizens as well as police officers.

If hoodlums of any color do not care to risk being killed by police officers my strong suggestion to them would be for them not to attacked the society protectors.

Next my suggestion to you is to stop the aiding of people who wish to drum up hate for officers with special note of the black community therefore making it more likely that the officers will be attack and will need to used deadly force as a result.