Happy Birthday, Mom

Reply Mon 14 Sep, 2015 08:57 pm
My mother was born on September 14th, 1922. My Grandmother was 15 as of two weeks earlier. Mom was a bright and sunny spirit, she never wanted anyone to be uncomfortable. When I was a teenager, her optimism made me a little crazy, I was too young and too cynical to understand why she chose to be so hopeful. But I began to realize my mother was my biggest supporter, she loved me unconditionally, no matter what. When I gave birth to my first son, my mother fell in love again. That child remembers her vividly.

Sadly, she was diagnosed with Alzheimers when she was only 58. Her decline took years. She disappeared by millimeters until her body just failed. Recently I learned that she explained to my oldest, that she was ill and she would become someone he wouldn't recognize. She would become forgetful, and it was insidious but true. When he told me, my heart almost stopped. She had such a generous spirit that she took the time to comfort that child so he wouldn't be afraid. He was only 9.

Mom was a kind soul, but she wasn't a pushover. She died in 1995 at the age of 72. We all miss her, she was one of the funniest women I have ever encountered. Her sense of humour was immaculate and she could take a joke. She gave as good as she got. She would have been 93 if she hadn't succumbed to illness. I'm honored she was my Mom, and I truly hope she was happy with me as her daughter. Rest in peace, Mom, we all love you.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,139 • Replies: 3
No top replies

glitterbag

Reply Wed 16 Sep, 2015 08:04 pm
@glitterbag,
You were the best, Mom, love you.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 16 Sep, 2015 08:37 pm
@glitterbag,