How do the Chinese spell over the phone?

Reply Mon 14 Sep, 2015 06:13 pm
Since the Chinese language is written in ideographs, how would someone spell his or her name over the phone? Does he/she call out which character is used for the name? I find it fascinating!

Ragman

Reply Mon 14 Sep, 2015 08:53 pm
@eglwyswas,
Just as our smart-phones have Roman (English lettering) hard-coded into the language system for the chosen alphabet, theirs has their language script hard-coded into their phones for their region or at request of the individual who wants that script.

There's no need for them to spell it out..the letters form as part of its programmed language. Your computer's is also set up with that optional language function and should you choose the correct Chinese keyboard, that language can be programmed, too...(type in Chinese lettering).
Ragman

Reply Tue 15 Sep, 2015 06:01 am
@eglwyswas,
As for spelling of a name a symbol at a time, I'm not a Chinese linguist but all of those multiple characters have names. So they would spell it out if they were in verbal conversation (however odd it is to spell over a phone instead of typing it).
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Tue 15 Sep, 2015 06:18 am
@Ragman,
Really? A keyboard with 2-3000 Chineses characters on it? And that's the minimum needed out of 40,000 + total in the language. I think Mandarin is a little simpler.

I'm sure there is an answer. Maybe they have lots of function keys to select alternate character sets ? This is why English is the default language of IT, more so all the time.
Ragman

Reply Tue 15 Sep, 2015 06:24 am
@Leadfoot,
Chinese use cell phone and computers /computer keyboards all of the time. In certain applications, they use a simplified Chinese script. Otherwise, they have extended character sets (but not in the case of keyboards, obviously.

Here's an article in Wiki explaining simplified Chinese character sets:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simplified_Chinese_characters

My answer to the OP query about spelling still stands.
Ragman

Reply Tue 15 Sep, 2015 06:37 am
A portion of the Wiki article follows:
Quote:
Computer encoding

"In computer text applications, the GB encoding scheme most often renders simplified Chinese characters, while Big5 most often renders traditional characters. Although neither encoding has an explicit connection with a specific character set, the lack of a one-to-one mapping between the simplified and traditional sets established a de-facto linkage.

Since simplified Chinese conflated many characters into one and since the initial version of the GB encoding scheme, known as GB2312-80, contained only one code point for each character, it is impossible to use GB2312 to map to the bigger set of traditional characters. It is theoretically possible to use Big5 code to map to the smaller set of simplified character glyphs, although there is little market for such a product. Newer and alternative forms of GB have support for traditional characters. In particular, mainland authorities have now established GB 18030 as the official encoding standard for use in all mainland software publications. The encoding contains all East Asian characters included in Unicode 3.0. As such, GB 18030 encoding contains both simplified and traditional characters found in Big-5 and GB, as well as all characters found in Japanese and Korean encodings.

Unicode deals with the issue of simplified and traditional characters as part of the project of Han unification by including code points for each. This was rendered necessary by the fact that the linkage between simplified characters and traditional characters is not one-to-one. While this means that a Unicode system can display both simplified and traditional characters, it also means that different localization files are needed for each type.

The Chinese characters used in modern Japanese (called Kanji characters) have also undergone simplification, but generally to a lesser extent than with simplified Chinese. It's worth mentioning that Japan's writing system utilizes a reduced number of Chinese characters in daily use, resulting partly from the Japanese language reforms; thus, a number of complex characters are written phonetically. Reconciling these different character sets in Unicode became part of the controversial process of Han unification. Not surprisingly, some of the Chinese characters used in Japan are neither 'traditional' nor 'simplified'. In this case, these characters cannot be found in traditional/simplified Chinese dictionaries.
Web pages

The World Wide Web Consortium's Internationalization working group recommends the use of the language tag zh-Hans as a language attribute value and Content-Language value to specify web-page content in simplified Chinese characters."

0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Tue 15 Sep, 2015 08:46 am
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:

Chinese use cell phone and computers /computer keyboards all of the time. In certain applications, they use a simplified Chinese script. Otherwise, they have extended character sets (but not in the case of keyboards, obviously.

Here's an article in Wiki explaining simplified Chinese character sets:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simplified_Chinese_characters

My answer to the OP query about spelling still stands.

The OP isn't about using a keyboard. It's about speaking over a telephone, e.g. an analog landline, and spelling out words therefrom. Even with Simplified Chinese Characters there are six thousand, five-hundred characters that are considered "common."
Ragman

Reply Tue 15 Sep, 2015 10:26 am
@InfraBlue,
I've corrected and re-directed my confusing commentary...sorry for the contusion. Laughing

To some degree the Wiki article addresses this.

Are you knowledgeable about this subject?

Further discussion (a subset including vocabulary and discussion of pinyin and pinyin-to-Hanzi) is contained here:
http://www.fluentin3months.com/chinese/
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Tue 15 Sep, 2015 01:47 pm
@ Ragman

Oh yeah, I had forgotten about pinyin.

I had casually read about the Chinese writing system some time ago when I had run into the word pinyin when I was trying to decipher the pronunciation of Chinese words that I had come across.
0 Replies

TheSubliminalKid

Reply Wed 16 Sep, 2015 04:10 pm
@eglwyswas,
I lived in China for a year and often had to text in Chinese, and I can confirm that you do use pinyin

For example if you wanted to write "hello" 你好, you would first have to write 'ni' then select 你 from the drop down menu, then hao and select 好.

With some phones you can just write "nihao" and it will come up with 你好 as some store common phrases.

This can work with names too.

It's similar to the Chinese Input Method that I use online.
http://www.chinese-tools.com/tools/ime.html

Word documents also work in the pinyin format.
0 Replies

TheSubliminalKid

Reply Wed 16 Sep, 2015 04:16 pm
@eglwyswas,
eglwyswas wrote:

Does he/she call out which character is used for the name?

Yes.

Like we might say "M for Mike" to clarify we mean M and not N.

My surname in Chinese is 白, pronounced "bai", and means "White". 百 is also a surname pronounced "bai" but means "One Hundred"

So if I wanted to clarify that I mean 白 and not 百 then I would say "白雪的白" - literally meaning "Bai Xue's Bai", as "Bai Xue" means Snow White, so they'd know that I meant that character and not another one.

Hope this helps!
0 Replies