world champions

Reply Sun 13 Sep, 2015 01:06 pm
By what criteria are the Superbowl champions deemed to be World Champions?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 7 • Views: 2,235 • Replies: 16
No top replies

jespah

Reply Sun 13 Sep, 2015 01:18 pm
@grampy1765,
By winning the Super Bowl.
grampy1765

Reply Sun 13 Sep, 2015 02:03 pm
@jespah,
That only makes them NFL champions. They haven't played any other teams from anywhere else in the world. The NFL season, playoffs and Superbowl game are not open to any teams other than NFL teams. It is strictly an NFL competition. Hence, the winners are merely NFL champions.
jespah

Reply Sun 13 Sep, 2015 03:26 pm
@grampy1765,
That's right. The term 'world champions' is hyperbole. It's a junk term, much like the World Series is.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sun 13 Sep, 2015 04:16 pm
@grampy1765,
Get over it! The same thing has been true for more than a century with MLB and the World Series. Why no outcry over that?

This is not connected to semantics and/or rivalry about terminology of football vs soccer issues?

Super Bowl determines the world championship of American gridiron (NFL-style) football. I don't hear Canadians crying about it. They have their championship with the Grey Cup and don't get upset over the SuperBowl and the NFL terminology.
grampy1765

Reply Sun 13 Sep, 2015 05:18 pm
@Ragman,
I'm Canadian. Our Grey Cup champions are duly recognized as the champions of the CFL, not the world. Our egos are more in check.
margo

Reply Mon 14 Sep, 2015 01:56 pm
It's a question that's always interested me - world champions in you own little world.

But now you have true world champions - the US womens soccer team
0 Replies

George

Reply Mon 14 Sep, 2015 02:37 pm
@grampy1765,
grampy1765 wrote:
I'm Canadian. Our Grey Cup champions are duly recognized as the
champions of the CFL, not the world. Our egos are more in check.
I'd enjoy a Grey Cup champ v Super Bowl champ match.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 14 Sep, 2015 02:40 pm
@grampy1765,
Ah-hahahahahahaha . . .

I've been visiting Canadia for more than 15 years, and living here for the last decade. Canadians are every bit as egotistical and fanatically patriotic as anyone can allege Americans to be. So go get yourself a coffee at Tim Horton's, then head on over to Canadian Tire for an oil change, and don't forget to stop at Rona's on the way home. I've met more than one Canadian who insisted that Canadians should shop at Canadian Tire and Rona's, even if it costs more. This false Canajun modesty is just another aspect of Canadian conceit.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 14 Sep, 2015 02:43 pm
@grampy1765,
No one else plays football by NFL rules, and that includes the CFL. George is right, there should be a Superbowl/Grey Cup playoff--then all the American football players who didn't make the NFL draft cut and went north can play against their former teammates and rivals.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 14 Sep, 2015 02:48 pm
Here are the CFL rules for "import" players, taken from the CFL's web site:

Quote:
Each team may have a maximum of 42 players, including 3 players who shall be identified as quarterbacks and 39 other players, of whom not more than 19 may be imports.

Teams must have a minimum of 41 players, including two players who shall be identified as quarterbacks and 39 other players, of whom not more than 19 may be imports.

Each team must establish a reserve roster of 4 players. These 4 players may be imports or non-imports.

Any team employing the maximum number of "import" players would be nearly half American, given that no other nations play this style of football. Of course, CFL play is markedly different from NFL play.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 14 Sep, 2015 02:54 pm
@grampy1765,
grampy1765 wrote:

I'm Canadian. Our Grey Cup champions are duly recognized as the champions of the CFL, not the world. Our egos are more in check.

That is because the Super Bowl winner would destroy the Canadian team. There are no other football leagues for them to compete against therefore they are the world champions. Simple.
George

Reply Mon 14 Sep, 2015 04:38 pm
@McGentrix,
Actually there are other American Football leagues throughout the world.

None would be able to put forth a team that could seriously compete with
the Super Bowl champion.
McGentrix

Reply Wed 16 Sep, 2015 08:55 pm
@George,
really? I've not seen or heard of them. To the internets!!!
ossobuco

Reply Wed 16 Sep, 2015 09:06 pm
@McGentrix,
I have - I think Andrew Luck's father was involved in that at some point, why Andrew lived in Europe for a while as a child. But I'd heard of some teams before I read that. At least one, maybe more, in Italy, for example.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2015 04:35 am
They're going hell for leather to broaden their appeal. They tried it back in the 80s on Channel 4, that was a brief flash in the pan. Now, they've made a deal with the BBC in the hope of getting those unwilling to pay for sports channels, where all the best sport is, to watch it.

Admitting to liking American football is a bit like admitting to train spotting or wearing women's underwear. You don't make friends and influence people like that.

Quote:
The BBC will show three live American football games from Wembley and the Super Bowl after signing a two-year deal with the National Football League (NFL). The deal also includes a weekly highlights show, which begins in November.

The first two games, between the New York Jets and Miami Dolphins, and the Jacksonville Jaguars and the Buffalo Bills will each be shown live on BBC Two on 4 October and 24 October respectively. The third and final clash between Detroit Lions and Kansas City on 1 November will be available via the BBC Sport website and Red Button. Highlights will also be on BBC Two.

A weekly highlights package called the The Road To The Super Bowl will also be shown from the beginning of November. The show will feature action from every game in the run up to the 50th Super Bowl, which will be live on BBC TV, radio and online on 7 February 2016.

Sky Sport looked set to the sole broadcaster of NFL action this season after Channel 4 opted out of renewing its deal for coverage. However, doing so has opened the door for the BBC to get the live matches and highlights, as well as on-demand video clips through its mobile app and website.

BBC Sport Director Barbara Slater said: "NFL has a growing fan base in the UK and I'm delighted that the BBC can bring it free-to-air for our audience. We look forward to delivering all the best action and drama of American Football for the next two years on BBC TV, Radio and Online at the BBC Sport website."

http://www.broadbandchoices.co.uk/news/tv/bbc-signs-two-year-deal-to-show-nfl-american-football-00697
0 Replies

selectmytutor

Reply Thu 1 Oct, 2015 06:46 am
@grampy1765,
Winning the superbowl
0 Replies