Unfair and unbalanced

snood

Reply Sat 12 Sep, 2015 07:21 am
I mean, where is any sense of fairness or balance in the media? They hound Hillary Clinton into apologizing for what appears to be the big nothing of having a private email server. But then they parade Dick Cheney out at every turn - to promote a book, to promote his sidekick/clone daughter, to undermine the present president... whatever.

And they never -EVER call him on having lied us into a disastrous war whose effects the world is still feeling, on the disastrous fiscal policy that has taken us years to dig out of, on ignoring and denying climate change, on having the worst terrorist attack ever on American soil happening during his watch. They seek him out for advice on the middle east? They allow him to constantly try to rewrite and spin history so that all the disasters of his administration get blamed on the present one.

And.they.will.not.challenge.him.

Cowardly is way too nice a word for this "fourth estate".
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 17 • Views: 6,041 • Replies: 62

izzythepush

Reply Sat 12 Sep, 2015 07:30 am
@snood,
The American media is the most right wing in the developed world. The most successful lie promoted by Fox News is that there's a liberal bias.

Media is owned by the rich, they're more concerned with increasing their wealth than reporting the truth.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 12 Sep, 2015 07:42 am
@snood,
Just FYI - I have heard Cheney taken to task for being wrong about Iraq more than once. I googled it and this was first in line to pop up.

http://theweek.com/speedreads/451394/fox-news-megyn-kelly-dick-cheney-got-wrong-iraq
snood

Reply Sat 12 Sep, 2015 07:46 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

Just FYI - I have heard Cheney taken to task for being wrong about Iraq more than once. I googled it and this was first in line to pop up.

http://theweek.com/speedreads/451394/fox-news-megyn-kelly-dick-cheney-got-wrong-iraq

OK, every once in a while some stalwart may be bold enough to offer up a question or two. But where is the dogged expose'? Where is the relentless intensity in pursuit of justice? I tell you where - advocating for the 6th or 7th "investigation" into the "scandal" at Benghazi. No way you're going to tell me that it's okay with you that they're still chasing after Cheney's analysis of the middle east, are you?
Lash

Reply Sat 12 Sep, 2015 07:58 am
@snood,
I think Cheney fades into obscurity if he doesn't run for office or write a book etc.

The impetus of the FOX interview was an article he wrote blaming Obama for current Iraq problems. His old wrong head lifted from obscurity for a minute, so he was interviewed. One reason they may have had him on is to rebut him because of the very reason you're pissed. It's possible.

Like: "who are you to think anyone is interested in your opinion after your contribution to the creation of this problem?"

Surely if HRC wasn't running for office, we'd know nothing about her emails - or it would have been a boring blip months ago with no follow-up.

Cheney should just find a Barcolounger and be quiet, imo.
snood

Reply Sat 12 Sep, 2015 08:08 am
@Lash,
That's what Bush, his vice president did.

But I don't think it's in Cheney's insides to sit down and shut up. His enormous macho pride will have him seeking the camera to try to influence his torture-promoting, dead American soldier strewn legacy
oralloy

Reply Sun 13 Sep, 2015 06:15 am
@snood,
snood wrote:
I mean, where is any sense of fairness or balance in the media? They hound Hillary Clinton into apologizing for what appears to be the big nothing of having a private email server.

Why do Democrats always think that they are above the law and the rules don't apply to them?

snood wrote:
But then they parade Dick Cheney out at every turn - to promote a book, to promote his sidekick/clone daughter, to undermine the present president... whatever.

And they never -EVER call him on having lied us into a disastrous war whose effects the world is still feeling, on the disastrous fiscal policy that has taken us years to dig out of, on ignoring and denying climate change, on having the worst terrorist attack ever on American soil happening during his watch. They seek him out for advice on the middle east? They allow him to constantly try to rewrite and spin history so that all the disasters of his administration get blamed on the present one.

And.they.will.not.challenge.him.

All politicians lie. That said, there is no evidence that Cheney was lying about the war. Note that being mistaken about something does not constitute a lie.

Referring to the war as disastrous is a bit hyperbolic. Perhaps though we should have simply killed Saddam as soon as we captured him and then pulled out immediately after.

Hardly a disastrous fiscal policy.

Lots of people ignore and deny climate change. Climate scientists don't help matters when they commit fraud.

Hardly Cheney's fault that Muslims hate our freedom and try to kill us.

I'd be interested in hearing Cheney's views on the Middle East. If I saw that he was to be interviewed on a TV program, I'd likely watch it.
revelette2

Reply Sun 13 Sep, 2015 08:24 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
Why do Democrats always think that they are above the law and the rules don't apply to them?

I guess you haven't been keeping up, turns out it is not against the law to have a private email server in the state department and to delete them.
revelette2

Reply Sun 13 Sep, 2015 08:32 am
@snood,
I get what you are saying. Disputing a few of his statements concerning Iran and Iraq is a far cry from really going in depth and getting into his whole role in respect to the Iraq war and his sanctioning torture. Asking him how much influence he put on Intelligence and congress to promote his agendas. No media has done any of that to this day who manages to get him in an interview.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Sun 13 Sep, 2015 12:28 pm
I don't like how MSNBC skews their coverage. Therefore I don't watch them and I don't have to worry about trying to censor them.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 13 Sep, 2015 01:49 pm
It is true that the US media is more to the right - which is unusual, as most other countries have a liberal media. I personally would never watch FoxNews and have gone away from CNN too - way to sensational for my taste.

However, we can read and watch many different outlets to get our own opinion. The UK press (Guadian, BBC) is pretty objective about the US candidates and a great source of information.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sun 13 Sep, 2015 01:58 pm
@snood,
Cheney is just a big dick.
snood

Reply Mon 14 Sep, 2015 01:44 pm
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:

Cheney is just a big dick.

Yeah. The other night on his show, Larry Wilmore said that Chris Wallace on Fox News calling Cheney on his lies about Iraq was like "a dick calling a dick a dick".

Wallace interview with Cheney was the exception that proves the rule. I was just in a discussion on another thread with someone who looks at Scott Walker, Jeb Bush and Chris Christie and doesn't see ridiculous failed governors. He looks at Obama and sees as ludicrous a narcissist as is Donald Trump. I can only comfort myself by hoping that the annals of history will accurately reveal the facts of who these people were and what they stood for. Nowadays people only listen to the news they are predisposed to agree with, and Fox is a bloody liar.
McGentrix

Reply Mon 14 Sep, 2015 03:03 pm
@snood,
Just out of curiosity, why are they failed Governors? That they may disagree with you politically does not make them failures. I am interested in how they failed.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Mon 14 Sep, 2015 03:35 pm
@snood,
Why are you linking Clinton with Cheney? They are completely different people. Your whole line of argument is rather bogus.

Hillary Clinton has chosen to run for the presidency and as such she has put herself in the spotlight and invited scrutiny and criticism. Everyone who ever runs for president has to endure this. It isn't a surprise, it isn't a travesty. It is part of the job of a political candidate.

The narrative that the Hillary Clinton email thing is a "big nothing" is bullshit. She did screw up. She might not have stepped outside of lines that her wonderful PR/marketing team can't fix... but it is clear that she was not acting with transparency in the best interest of the American public.

Dick Cheney is not running for president. That is the only reason that he is not facing the same scrutiny that Hillary is facing.

I think any suggestion that the "fourth estate" should refrain from giving presidential candidates a special scrutiny is ridiculous.

Hillary is getting the same treatment that any other major presidential candidate gets. The fact that her supporters think that she, of all the people running, should be free from scrutiny or criticism is ridiculous. This is an election, not a coronation.
snood

Reply Mon 14 Sep, 2015 04:05 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Why are you linking Clinton with Cheney? They are completely different people. Your whole line of argument is rather bogus.

I am not "linking" the two, per se. I was attempting to make a larger point that the press hasn't been even in their creation of stories. Your statement about my line of argument is hyperbolic. I suggest you breathe deeply or add water to your libation - it's not all or nothing; there's certainly room for debate about whether there are false equivalencies, inaccuracies and acts of unfair coverage performed by the MSM. Cheney has been in the news a lot lately - it's the only reason I pointed out instances of press bullshit related to him.

Hillary Clinton has chosen to run for the presidency and as such she has put herself in the spotlight and invited scrutiny and criticism. Everyone who ever runs for president has to endure this. It isn't a surprise, it isn't a travesty. It is part of the job of a political candidate.

If you are of the opinion that Hillary Clinton is simply receiving her fair share of press scrutiny and nothing else, we'll have to agree to disagree.

The narrative that the Hillary Clinton email thing is a "big nothing" is bullshit.

There is a spectrum of opinion about the importance of her email server, just as there is a spectrum of opinion about her actions vis-a-vis Benghazi. From "bullshit, made up story" to "malfeasance that threatens national security"
You and I lean different ways. No need to be snippy.

She did screw up. She might not have stepped outside of lines that her wonderful PR/marketing team can't fix... but it is clear that she was not acting with transparency in the best interest of the American public.

Dick Cheney is not running for president. That is the only reason that he is not facing the same scrutiny that Hillary is facing.

He's not running for president, and he's not facing the same scrutiny - agreed. I beg to differ that not running for president is the only reason he has never faced that type scrutiny.

I think any suggestion that the "fourth estate" should refrain from giving presidential candidates a special scrutiny is ridiculous.

And it would be ridiculous, if anyone had tried to make the case that presidential candidates shouldn't receive enhanced levels of scrutiny. I didn't. I think what you did there is known as erecting a straw man.

Hillary is getting the same treatment that any other major presidential candidate gets.

Certainly a matter of opinion.

The fact that her supporters think that she, of all the people running, should be free from scrutiny or criticism is ridiculous. This is an election, not a coronation.

Who said I'm a Hillary supporter, or anything about a ******* coronation? My thread is about the lack of fairness and balance in media coverage, and I used those two people as examples. Don't put words in my mouth, or ascribe motives that evidently only exist between your ears.
maxdancona

Reply Mon 14 Sep, 2015 04:16 pm
@snood,
Let's compare the scrutiny Hillary is facing with other recent top tier candidates. Romney was questioned very critically about his activities at Bain. Of course everything about Obama from his liberal ties to his birth certificate was questioned.

Here's my challenge. You can have the past five election cycles and use a top tier candidate from either party. Pick any one and let's compare the challenges they endured with Hillary's experience.

The poor mistreated woman message (which she even used against Obama if you remember) has no basis in reality.
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 14 Sep, 2015 04:43 pm
@snood,
Quote:

It is largely a bought and paid for PR apparatus now, owned by the corporate class, propagandizing the agenda of the elite.

Surely you knew this before now.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 14 Sep, 2015 04:46 pm
@revelette2,
revelette2 wrote:

Quote:

I guess you haven't been keeping up, turns out it is not against the law to have a private email server in the state department and to delete them.

So long as it does not contain government secrets, and so long as all work emails are forwarded to a government server in a timely fashion so that the IG and FOIA personnel can view them. Which seems to have not been the case.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 14 Sep, 2015 05:15 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Let's compare the scrutiny Hillary is facing with other recent top tier candidates. Romney was questioned very critically about his activities at Bain. Of course everything about Obama from his liberal ties to his birth certificate was questioned.

Here's my challenge. You can have the past five election cycles and use a top tier candidate from either party. Pick any one and let's compare the challenges they endured with Hillary's experience.

The poor mistreated woman message (which she even used against Obama if you remember) has no basis in reality.

I think Hillary Clinton has been the object of unfair scrutiny. You do not. We disagree. I don't know about you, but I don't have to pursue every difference of opinion ad infinitum. If you kind of sense (as I do) that neither of us will sway the other on this, launching a search through the last several elections to try to prove the other wrong seems more than a little superfluous.