can someone edit this college essay for me?

emealz

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2015 05:21 pm
please help! need some to proofread my college essay and help me make it better!

I visited many Instate colleges throughout my junior year of high school. Monmouth wasn’t one of my top choices. Transition. My brother goes to Monmouth and I didn’t want to invade in his personal space here, so I kept my decisions elsewhere but still applied. Once I got accepted I decided to visit the campus. I chose Monmouth because being on campus felt comfortable and like home I knew I wouldn’t be worried being late to class. The campus is a perfect size I knew I wouldn’t have to worry about jumping on a bus to get to the other side of campus like Rutgers. In addition, I just felt comfortable here, like I belonged on this campus. Many people say you will know when you are at the right campus because you feel comfortable living here and being on your own. I’ve stressed, dealt with depression, and got anxiety all throughout high school whenever I walked down halls or had to present assignments I constantly felt judged and worked up. A huge stress reliever is the beach and knowing that it is about 20 minutes away from campus. Monmouth has not too many students that I would feel overwhelmed by the campus and all of the people. The classes are small meaning there is discussions and conversations not just lectures. Professors are willing to work with you if you need help, and will connect with you. The campus itself was beautiful not overcrowded, and very green. I applied undecided because I'm indecisive and haven't been completely positive about what major I wanted. I know the programs are all fantastic and the professors will help network with you and you don’t feel like you're just a number in a class of 300 students. I loved the business building and program, during an open house the campus allows prospective students to sit in a class to get the experience of it. I was put into an intro to ethics class in Business Hall and I loved it. The business program is important and amazing here and being able to learn and network with professors and students. The distance from my family was just the right amount that if I had to go home it wouldn’t be a problem but it just about far enough that I could be responsible and independent on my own and not be homesick.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,083 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Banana Breath

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2015 06:49 pm
@emealz,
For a college essay you should focus on positive things, and focus primarily on you, why you want to go to the school in question, and how that fits in with your plans. Thus you should cut out lines such as:
Quote:
Monmouth wasn’t one of my top choices.
I’ve stressed, dealt with depression, and got anxiety all throughout high school

You should also avoid lines that sound like you're just sucking up to them, such as
Quote:
"The business program is important and amazing here"

0 Replies

Ishmeah

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2015 07:01 pm
@emealz,
It seems that you already got into the college, so I'm guessing this is an assignment for a class. Could you explain what the specific assignment asks for, if you don't mind?
Banana Breath

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2015 07:19 pm
@Ishmeah,
It sounds like the kind of college that wouldn't require any sort of admissions essay, but perhaps they require one to determine placement into either basic or remedial (developmental) English classes.
Ishmeah

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2015 07:58 pm
@Banana Breath,
Quote:
It sounds like the kind of college that wouldn't require any sort of admissions essay, but perhaps they require one to determine placement into either basic or remedial (developmental) English classes.

I live in the same state as Monmouth University, and last I checked, they require an essay. Also, the semester has already started, so I would assume that all the placements have already been done by now. My guess is that this is the first assignment for his/her writing 101 (or whatever) class.
0 Replies