Refurbish a Sofa

gollum

Wed 9 Sep, 2015 04:52 pm
I have a sofa that converts to a bed. It is in excellent condition, except for an area on one worn sofa arm where I often put my hand.

Is there any way to address the matter other than buying a new sofa?

glitterbag

Wed 9 Sep, 2015 05:25 pm
@gollum,
You could have it reupholstered. Some folks think it's smarter to buy a new one, however I think if your sofa has good bones it makes more sense to recover it. It's pricey, but often the older furniture is built better than the newer stuff.
glitterbag

Wed 9 Sep, 2015 05:35 pm
@glitterbag,
One other thought, if it only appears worn where you rest your hand, maybe it's just built up grime. Try taking a damp cloth and mild soap and wipe the area against the grain and see if that spruces it up. I have a deep red chair that tends to look worn when its only skin cells from your hand. I wipe it every so often with a damp cool cloth and the skin cell shadow disappears.
farmerman

Wed 9 Sep, 2015 05:45 pm
@glitterbag,
where did you have it furbished the first time?
gollum

Wed 9 Sep, 2015 05:47 pm
@glitterbag,
glitterbag-

Thank you.
ossobuco

Wed 9 Sep, 2015 05:51 pm
@gollum,
I suspect that this was why they had doilies in the olden days; some places, even now.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Wed 9 Sep, 2015 06:50 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

where did you have it furbished the first time?

Where I always get my furniture furbished.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Wed 9 Sep, 2015 08:34 pm
@gollum,
Do you have a steamer?

Try that in an unnoticeable spot on the sofa first. If the colour doesn't change, try it on the worn area.

Do you still have the sofa covers (usually for the arm rests only) that would have come with the sofa to begin with?
gollum

Thu 10 Sep, 2015 07:00 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth-

I don't think any sofa overs came with the sofa. In any event, I don't now possess them.

Can I purchase them at this point?
ehBeth

Thu 10 Sep, 2015 08:21 am
@gollum,
Yup, you can buy them.

Go to a store that sells slipcovers.

http://www.slipcovershop.com/info/arm_cover_protector_info.asp (this place has them in 365 different fabrics

or you can sew/knit/crochet them yourself. they're very easy to make for most sofa arm shapes.
farmerman

Thu 10 Sep, 2015 09:00 am
@ehBeth,
we use quilts as counterpanes for couches that look a bit ratty (Dog couches that humans wouldnt situpon even on a bet)
glitterbag

Mon 14 Sep, 2015 09:24 pm
@farmerman,
So, where was your couch originally furbed?
0 Replies

ellataylor

Thu 26 Nov, 2015 10:25 pm
I would suggest to refurbish the sofa, also you can decorate with faux fur throw blankets or decorative pillows.
0 Replies

september

Tue 2 Feb, 2016 12:28 am
@gollum,
How long have you bought this sofa ? If have used it for many years ,why not buy a new one ? If you want it will feel like new,but it is still used,you need to invest a couple of hundred dollars.
0 Replies

NitinKumud

Fri 12 Jan, 2018 06:02 am
These are the few reasons why you should think refurbishing your old sofa-
1.If It's a Family Heirloom:
If the sofa has been in your family for a while and has been a prized possession with a history and special sentimental value, you may want to hold on to it. There are certain things which are irreplaceable, and you cannot put a monetary value on them.

2.If It's a Valuable Antique:
When you have a sofa that dates back over a century, and you have invested good money in it, reupholstering it makes sense. This is not something that can be replaced by a brand new sofa.

In this case, by reupholstering, you are actually restoring an antique. However, if this is an investment, this should not be attempted on your own. Get a qualified professional to do it, and it is going to be costly.

If It Has Good Bones:
It makes sense to reupholster if your sofa is very high quality or has an unusual frame.

Quite possibly, the cost of reupholstering it would be less than buying a new sofa of comparable quality. This is not very often the case, but it is possible you may have a perfectly good sofa that can be brought back to life by just re-covering with a new fabric.

Just make sure that it has a sturdy frame and good lines if it is to be considered worth reupholstering.

3.If It Costs Less:
If it is a very good quality sofa, and the cost of reupholstering it comes out less than getting a sofa of comparable value, by all mean go for it. You may want to get quotes from two or three different re-upholsterers for all fabric and parts, and then weigh it against what you would pay for a new sofa of the same quality.
0 Replies

MatthewLyon

Fri 1 Jun, 2018 11:54 pm
@glitterbag,
Yes you may find online!
glitterbag

Sat 2 Jun, 2018 12:00 am
@MatthewLyon,
Find what online?

welcome to A2K
0 Replies

toto26

Fri 28 Sep, 2018 12:10 am
@gollum,
You can refurbish it, it's worth it rather than buying a new one, if it's still in good condition.
0 Replies