SS question pertaining to an Estranged spouse

sandiec

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2015 09:43 am
I have not seen,nor do I know where my spouse is (this has been for a long while) I got a letter from t he City clerk saying he never filed for a divorce so I am assuming we are still legally married. I have moved on with my life. I will be 67 in Sept. Would anyone know if I can file for SS, using his benefits? I have worked but only part time for about 5 years and full time for about the same amount of time, and that was 20 years ago. Any advice as to where I should begin would be helpful, I am just totally "ignorant" on this subject. Thanks in advance.

jespah

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2015 10:05 am
@sandiec,
You need to consult an attorney. That lawyer will probably perform a skip trace on your estranged husband, in order to try to find him. The first place they will look will probably be in death notices.

If you are widowed, then benefits are different, and if there is abandonment they are different still. But either way, get thee to a lawyer.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2015 10:51 am
Make an appointment at your local Social Security office. In a minute, they can look up his account and tell you the last place he worked (IF he got a real paycheck and SS was taken out).

They will also counsel you on your benefits, if you are entitled to any.

roger

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2015 09:10 pm
@PUNKEY,
Getting information out of SSA can be challenging, to say the least.
0 Replies