BMI Of 15 - 13 Year Old Teen Boy

Reply Tue 8 Sep, 2015 04:57 pm
Hi,
I eat normal amounts of food and I do not starve myself at all, but I have a BMI of 15 and I weigh 85 pounds. Is there anything I should do to gain weight healthily?

View best answer, chosen by cschumacher
jespah

Reply Tue 8 Sep, 2015 05:00 pm
@cschumacher,
Call your doctor and ask.

There is every possibility that if you have an eating disorder, you may not know what a 'normal' amount of food is. Eating disorders tend to do that to people, to give you unrealistic perceptions of body type, portion size, etc.

Please, contact your primary care physician.
cschumacher

Reply Tue 8 Sep, 2015 05:06 pm
@jespah,
Hi Jespah,
Today for breakfast I had a bowl of cereal and some toast, for lunch I had a whole sandwich, bag of chips, some grapes, some applesauce, and a juice box. I eat about that much every meal. Does that seem like I have an eating disorder or no? Or is it just fast metabolism?
jespah
  Selected Answer

Reply Tue 8 Sep, 2015 05:12 pm
@cschumacher,
I am not a doctor.

Your doctor is.

Talk to him or her.

Just because you are eating these things gives no indication of portion sizes or how much exercise you are getting (Google exercise bulimia if you don't believe me). And maybe you do have a fast metabolism but I would not know that, whereas your doctor will be able to determine that.
0 Replies

FebinMelepura

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2017 08:36 am
@cschumacher,
It's trickier than it sounds. Especially if you want to do it the healthy way. I recommend eating six times per day and eating about every three hours. The most important thing you can do to gain weight is to eat more calories than your body needs.
Eat Lots of Protein. High-protein foods include meats, fish, eggs, many dairy products, legumes, nuts and others.
Using plenty of spices, sauces and condiments can help with this. The tastier your food is, the easier it is to eat a lot of it.
Here are some energy-dense foods that are perfect for gaining weight:
1) Nuts: Almonds, walnuts, macadamia nuts, peanuts, etc.
2) Dried fruit: Raisins, dates, prunes and others.
3) High-fat dairy: Whole milk, full-fat yogurt, cheese, cream.
4) Fats and Oils: Extra virgin olive oil and avocado oil.
5) Grains: Whole grains like oats and brown rice.
6) Meat: Chicken, beef, pork, lamb, etc. Choose fattier cuts.
7) Tubers: Potatoes, sweet potatoes and yams.
8) Dark chocolate, avocados, peanut butter, coconut milk, granola, trail mixes.
0 Replies