Why he do this (getting into the mind of a dog)?

Linkat

Reply Tue 8 Sep, 2015 11:35 am
This past weekend we went on a little mini family vacation - including the dog. We camped on a beautiful lake in the mountains. One day we rented a boat and went tubing and swiminng and stuff. Our dog who doesn't like to get wet did enjoy the boat ride and being on a boat (his breed is known for traveling regularly on boats).

Kids did some tubing while hubby drove and I watched to make sure kids didn't fall off and get lost. Dog just enjoyed the ride no problem. Then we stopped and I jumped in to go tubing. The dog began to cry and whine. When I swam back later to get on board, he saw me and was about to jump in - fortunately we did have a harness to keep him from leaving the boat and a vest just in case.

But why would he do this? A dog that doesn't even like to get wet. He barely walked into the lake at our campsite even though we camped with direct access.

Dogs (mine in particular) often times make you ask this question. Can you figure it out? Also, feel free to add your own pet-related - why he do this? Maybe we can all help each other out.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 9 • Views: 2,252 • Replies: 13
No top replies

Tes yeux noirs

Reply Tue 8 Sep, 2015 11:53 am
My guess is the dog was worried that you were in danger when he saw you go in the water. When he saw you in the water again he wanted to jump in and help you. I suppose this raises the question of why he didn't whine over the kids going in the water. Maybe he cares about you more?

0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 8 Sep, 2015 11:53 am
@Linkat,
Sounds like simply separation anxiety issues. You should think about setting up a camera at home and record him when no ones around. Was there anyone left on the boat with him at the time he started to whine?

ehBeth

Reply Tue 8 Sep, 2015 12:25 pm
@Linkat,
He may not have realized that you were going into water.

When he got into the boat did he have to go through water or was he lifted in?
Linkat

Reply Tue 8 Sep, 2015 12:47 pm
@tsarstepan,
Yeah my husband and at least of the other kids. He also cried when my husband went into the water - but he didn't try to jump in.

He treats the kids differently than us in general. It seems he treats the kids almost like an equal - whereas he treats us as top dog(s) in a sense.
Linkat

Reply Tue 8 Sep, 2015 12:49 pm
@ehBeth,
We carried him into the boat from the dock. We all walked into the boat from the dock. This was while we were in the middle of the lake, just sorta of swimming around and tubing and stuff.

I think someone here may be right - it seemed almost like he might have thought I needed help. He wasn't alone so it wasn't like he felt he was left alone.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 8 Sep, 2015 01:14 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

Yeah my husband and at least of the other kids. He also cried when my husband went into the water - but he didn't try to jump in.

He treats the kids differently than us in general. It seems he treats the kids almost like an equal - whereas he treats us as top dog(s) in a sense.

He loves you the mostest. Very Happy
ehBeth

Reply Tue 8 Sep, 2015 01:19 pm
@Linkat,
Sounds like he didn't realize that you were in water and wanted to join you wherever it was you were.

You and hubby are the alphas in his pack, so he's more interested in being with you than being with the betas (kids).

We see that a fair bit at an offleash dog beach. There is a jetty that runs into the lake. Dogs don't want to walk into the water, then people are in the water, the dogs jump in and freak out that they're in water. Some dogs manage to figure out swimming at that point. Most have to be hauled out of the water since swimming isn't instinctive for most of them.
0 Replies

saab

Reply Tue 8 Sep, 2015 01:59 pm
I had a dog which loved to go in the water - so no problems
also had a cat, who came along to the beach now and then and as soon as I went swimming it started to cry and whine and even started to swim out to sit on the top of my head.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 8 Sep, 2015 02:09 pm
@tsarstepan,
That's my take too.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 8 Sep, 2015 02:12 pm
@saab,
You made me laugh, Saab, but I probably shouldn't, as I understand the anxiety for your cat. Sweet, though.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 8 Sep, 2015 02:44 pm
@saab,
saab wrote:

also had a cat, who came along to the beach now and then and as soon as I went swimming it started to cry and whine and even started to swim out to sit on the top of my head.

Now that is funny.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 8 Sep, 2015 02:49 pm
@tsarstepan,
Cute -- maybe I do tend to give him a treat every morning. You know the way to a man and dog's heart is throught their stomach.

Also - we were at the camp and my dog is very good at staying nearby. We only leash him when we walk him or at places you need to leash your dog. So he was set free and stayed within our camp area. I went off to the bathroom.

When I came back my husband was all upset. Doggie took off. He couldn't find him - he went wandering off our site and was walking down the roadway quite a ways.

I said I wonder why he did that seeing we had been there a couple of days he did not wander off at all, just stayed within our camp area. Then I said, maybe he was looking for me. The dumb thing though was he walked the opposite way I did - however, when we had taken him for a walk that was direction we had walked in.
Ragman

Reply Tue 8 Sep, 2015 04:52 pm
@Linkat,
Probably your dog is scouting. He's sniffing around smelling nature smells..looking to see if 'the pack' is or could be in any danger..and maybe saw a varmint.
0 Replies