PLANNING TO SEE "A WALK IN THE WOODS"?

Reply Sun 6 Sep, 2015 11:20 am
When we get home, we're anxious to see this Redford produced and directed and acted version of Bill Bryson's classic of creative non-fiction.

Redford and Nick No;te as two bucket list hikers. Nolte plays the sub felon Katz, while Redford is the Bryson character.

Ive seen both high and low reviews for this one. I have no idea why. Although the "all Is Lost" movie got simiar mixed reviews . Most of the bad reviews came from folks who had NO CLUE about the sea.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 499 • Replies: 9
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 6 Sep, 2015 11:22 am
@farmerman,
That was the one Bryson book I liked a lot.
Ragman

Reply Sun 6 Sep, 2015 12:03 pm
@farmerman,
Also, I've got the book right here on my book table, as well.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 6 Sep, 2015 01:14 pm
@ossobuco,
I liked."In a Sunburned Country" a little better.

Every Insect , mollusc or reptile in Ausrealia, will kill you.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 6 Sep, 2015 01:43 pm
@farmerman,
Didn't ever see that one. He did one on the U.S., forget the title, and he made a lot of fun of the people in Iowa. In my few weeks ever in Iowa, I liked the people and the place. Similar thing for me with his trip around England, some kind of readiness to ridicule sticks in my memory. Maybe he was funny and I was in a bad mood whatever years I read them, but I've read a lot of travel writing, many dozens of books, plenty of it with the authors describing the culture they were travelling through, and I'd not been as irritated before.
farmerman

Reply Sun 6 Sep, 2015 01:56 pm
@ossobuco,
His father was a skinny tied Iowanian. I think the book you were talking about was the "Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid"

PS "In a SUnburnt Country" was never a movie, just a book
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 6 Sep, 2015 01:58 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
He did one on the U.S.,
He actually did 2 that traced the English Language from Britain to US and Canada.

The neat thing was that he did the work as entertainment and not really hard assed scholarship.

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 6 Sep, 2015 02:04 pm
I meant the book, sorry.
Well, you can tell I wasn't entertained at the time, re Iowa or England, but was happy with A Walk in the Woods, the book.
farmerman

Reply Sat 12 Sep, 2015 04:40 pm
@ossobuco,
well, we went to see "A Walk..." While it was entertaining and had enough humor so we get the point, it wasnt nearly as good as your imagination could conjur by reading the book.
I give it 3 of 5 stars. I was swept up by Redford's last movie "All is LOST" (so I really expected more of him). That movie was a believable, tightly edited and good solid movie. Ya'd think the Appalachians and Bryson's book could have given him a lot more to work with than a sinking boat.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 12 Sep, 2015 05:15 pm
@ossobuco,
Scrap that ok.

I'm just listening.
0 Replies