• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 13 • Views: 2,607 • Replies: 18
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 6 Sep, 2015 05:33 am
@hawkeye10,
you can have the chili beef and add Chicken Gumbo in its place. The others are pretty much ok. Of course Id rather eat split pea
roger

Reply Sun 6 Sep, 2015 04:16 pm
@farmerman,
Their vegetable soups seem to have a very strong medicinal odor, at least to me. I can't eat them.
farmerman

Reply Sun 6 Sep, 2015 04:17 pm
@roger,
you cook em over mesquite?
CalamityJane

Reply Sun 6 Sep, 2015 04:18 pm
I've never eaten any of them. Canned soup can(ned) not be good .
roger

Reply Sun 6 Sep, 2015 04:35 pm
@farmerman,
I know I'm going to regret saying this, but I wouldn't recognize a mesquite tree if it bit me on the butt. I don't think they like the altitude, or something. Now, well treated rail road ties are a different matter.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 6 Sep, 2015 04:43 pm
@CalamityJane,
CalamityJane wrote:

I've never eaten any of them. Canned soup can(ned) not be good .

They used to be better, cheap and popular. The selection at the stores now seems to me to be 1/3 what it was in the 80's...for instance I have not had chili beef in years. A mug of Campbell's soup in hand (in a special Campbell's logo mug) is an iconic 1970's image.
0 Replies

Agent1741

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2018 07:16 pm
Tomato is my favourite always has been!
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2018 10:13 pm
I always keep several cans of tomato bisque and cream of chicken on hand. They work well with ground beef and chicken when you need to make a quick meal and forgot to defrost the meat. Because, necessity is the mother of invention......when you need to make dinner....and you really don’t want carry out.

I invented some pretty good meals when pressed for time.......
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2018 11:55 pm
I rarely touch Campbell's soups. The salt content is scary!

However, I do at times go for the cream of potato which I fix up with more potato and using half and half instead of milk.

The chicken noodle looks dreadful, smells odd. kind of reminds me of the egg drop soup at the local hole-in-the-wall Chinese takeout. It's low.cost there and it shows.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2018 02:02 am
Never saw this thread before. This is my favorite:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/615fN3jeoZS._SY550SX366_SY550_CR,0,0,366,550_PIbundle-12,TopRight,0,0_SX366_SY550_CR,0,0,366,550_SH20_.jpg

I was bemused because the label used to say that it was made with mutton. Maybe 'Mericans don't like the thought of mutton. The label also says "Product of Canada." Perhaps they don't produce mutton in the You Ess of Eh?
engineer

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2018 06:06 am
@Setanta,
Strange to think this was posted by Hawkeye.
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2018 06:22 am
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

Strange to think this was posted by Hawkeye.

I was pretty disappointed that it wasn't an unironic Andy Warhol pop art thread.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2018 03:08 pm
@Setanta,
Haggis?
farmerman

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2018 03:35 pm
@roger,
mutton is often used for what we call Lebanon Baloney, an otherwise inedible salty tarry tasting cured loaf loaded with sodium nitrite as a "spice"
farmerman

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2018 03:38 pm
@farmerman,
Mrs F always uses Campbells Cream of Tater whenever he makes meat pies(like clam/corn pie or chicken corn pie? DEEELICIOUS and the soup just acts more like a spackle to hold it together
glitterbag

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2018 01:26 am
@farmerman,
Yeah, some of those soups are great when mixed with other ingredients, and you sure don't need to add salt.

I use tomato bisque to make a chili thing my family loves. I was stumped one night, needed to make dinner and started to gather 'things' from the fridge and pantry. I browned a pound of ground beef and then tossed in 2 medium sized sliced onions, then I toss in a generous amount of chili powder, around 1/4 tsp red pepper, garlic salt to taste, and once the aroma seems right I toss in about 8 ounces of sliced mushrooms (I use canned mushrooms only because they dont need to be sautéed), then I stir in a can of Campbells Tomato Bisque and let it simmer. (the idea is to get everything browned before the onions get too soft, but that how my family likes it....it might not matter to others)

It's quick, it's satisfying (if you like beef, chili and garlic) and I've even taken it to office parties.

Maybe it sounds awful, but it's been helpful in our household.
Sturgis

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2018 06:06 pm
@glitterbag,
Doesn't sound awful to me. When will we be strapping on the old feed bag?
glitterbag

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2018 06:31 pm
@Sturgis,
Just as soon as you get here. Bring an appetite.
0 Replies