Housemates boyfriend

Kat1

Reply Mon 31 Aug, 2015 02:42 pm
I've been living with my lovely housemate for two years. In the last year she's been in a pretty full on relationship with a divorced older man with two teenage boys. She has been staying with them every weekend so I've had the house to myself. My housemate and me have just moved into a new house together, its hugh - 5 bedrooms. The problem is she plans to have him over most weekends with a least one boy staying too. They all stayed for two nights to help us move in which was fine and helpful but they totally took over and she wasn't great at telling them when they'd outstayed their welcome. I'm concerned how to hold my own and keep it as my house as well. We're both renting, paying the same amount but the boys will obviously be using lots of utilities if they stay. And my housemate is off work with depression too whereas I'm working full time and very busy! So need my chill out time. Her last words to me were 'shall we leave the spare rooms made up for the boys' I quite strongly said 'no!' Which I don't think she liked but I might want a guest to stay too. Any advice??

View best answer, chosen by Kat1
Butrflynet

Reply Mon 31 Aug, 2015 02:46 pm
@Kat1,
Whatever you decide, you two need to put the financial and living arrangements in writing in the form of a rental contract.

0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 31 Aug, 2015 03:03 pm
@Kat1,
I bet your landlord will have something to say about so many guests.

And it might not be him/her embracing these extra folks on a regular basis with open arms.

If you need to, make the landlord the bad guy. "Oh, sorry, but our landlord only allows five nights of guests per month!"

And talk to your housemate and explain that this is not the relaxing home you had envisioned for yourself. In particular, life with teenaged boys can be stressful, messy, and stinky. Do they clean up after themselves? Pay their share of the utilities? Because if they don't, then yeah, this is really unfair.

You can go to a more nuclear option and have it put into writing, e. g. the boys will buy their own laundry soap and dish soap and do their own chores. If they don't and the house becomes infested, then the cost of an exterminator is on them (don't be so quick to dismiss this as a possibility; roaches love unwashed dishes).

But no matter what, you both need to be more assertive, or these guys will take over - and it sounds like it has already started. Good news for you, though, if push comes to shove, you can just leave. Plus you've got a job and can save money to get your own place.

In the meantime, roommate disputes can be hell on earth, but if you don't learn to stand up for yourself here, where you don't have a lot at stake (if this guy and his sons start to hate you, then who cares? If they become destructive, then call the landlord or the cops), it'll be a lot harder later in life when there's more on the line.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 31 Aug, 2015 03:04 pm
@Kat1,
Perhaps, regardless of what you had for an agreement before, this is not a workable situation anymore. You either need to find your own place or a different flatmate, or get her to understand that she has to see this current arrangement is no longer a workable and keep it to boundaries that are workable. her depression and emotional state is not helping matters. Maybe she can no longer keep to a reasonable arrangement?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 31 Aug, 2015 03:05 pm
@Kat1,
I sympathize, foreseeing a big mess. I hope you aren't locked in on all this yet.
I think I agree with Butrflynet re putting things in writing, though good luck on even doing that and doing it well.

I'm also wondering why you agreed to this. Not to criticize you - I had just moved to a small artist studio for a few months and a friend who lived in the building wanted to move, I helped her look, and ended up partner in a lease on 3,000 square foot building. My situation was at least fun, though, and it's how I met my husband.

So, I'm not scolding you, exactly, but wondering if it's a matter of fear of/or not wanting to live alone, or if you are really liking that house..
0 Replies

vikorr
  Selected Answer

Reply Mon 31 Aug, 2015 03:13 pm
@Kat1,
Ahh...there is only you and your housemate (who is in a relationship with a man with 2 kids)...you both then move in to a 5 bedroom house...and you didn't see this coming?

Why on earth did you choose a 5 bedroom house then? They cost so much more to rent than a 2, or 3 bedroom house.

It makes little to no sense.
Kat1

Reply Mon 31 Aug, 2015 03:25 pm
@vikorr,
I didn't make it clear, sorry. The house we've moved to is a friends so we are house sitting for a year but still paying rent and looking after her two cats. Its a gorgeous house! The rent is considerably less. Thank you for all your comments. I have lived on my own before and felt lonely so living with a housemate is better. And I am saving (or at least trying) to save for a mortgage. Its hard as we're all friends and you want to keep the peace. I think I will need to be more assertive and do what I want to do too. I'm not great at that! Maybe having boundaries on when they can stay etc.
0 Replies

Dropship

Reply Mon 31 Aug, 2015 06:22 pm
Kat1 said- "I'm working full time and very busy! So need my chill out time"
----------------------------------------------------------

Course you do..Smile
On the other hand you wouldn't want to live in a lonely silent house, so make sure your room is strictly off limits to everybody, and is a "den" or "sanctuary" of your own where you can chill and watch your TV and get on your computer etc.
Then after you've chilled you can go out the door into the rest of the house and cook a meal and talk to the other people.
Regard them as a "real-life" soap to entertain you..Smile
0 Replies