Want to be a film actor. need advice/tips!

Jp364

Reply Sun 30 Aug, 2015 11:22 pm
I'm 19 soon to be 20. I'm from California but now live in az because I moved with family. I took a stage craft plus theatre class my senior year of hs trying to figure out what I wanted in life. And I found acting (Film Actor) to be my calling for a multitude of reason! But since I'm extremely new and unknowing of it all. What schools are good in arizona in what order should I do and get things. What books should I read who do I talk to and who do I go to? How do I build a resume? Etc.. I just need the most help you can possibly give!

jespah

Reply Mon 31 Aug, 2015 05:45 am
@Jp364 ,
You need to start doing things. Start with your career counselor at school (the one you just graduated from) and ask! If they can't/won't help you, try the local library (yes, really, librarians are smart people).

What you want to be doing is performing, even in lousy productions. You want to get a union card (usually it's SAG, e. g. Screen Actors' Guild) as that will open up a lot more opportunities for you. A lot of very well-known actors got their SAG cards from really forgettable productions.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/how-jennifer-lawrence-anne-hathaway-415869

This means summer stock, it means more acting classes (you're nowhere near being done yet), it means networking. It may mean modeling if you can do it. Take singing and dance, too, as those might be your way in.

But talk to your career counselor and, failing that, your local librarian. And seriously make sure you've got a fallback position. Getting into acting is HARD. The failure rate is abysmal. You need options for what to do with your life in order to get food on the table if you cannot find a paying acting gig.
0 Replies