One reason I can see a good use for smartphones, beside the usual

Reply Sun 30 Aug, 2015 10:32 am
I have a dumb cell phone, near antique, myself.
I can see citizens using their phones to video police behavior, even if the police are wearing cameras.

I remember reading about the Albuquerque police* saying that handling all that processed video was a big job in itself.
* added, because I'm not absolutely positive that was the ABQ police I was reading about, but I think so. Whenever that was, they hadn't started using them yet.

Here's the article that got my attention:
http://www.seattlepi.com/news/crime/article/Police-sometimes-turn-on-the-citizen-with-a-6473271.php

I'll add that I am not anti-police, just some of them.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 3,551 • Replies: 8
No top replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Sun 30 Aug, 2015 09:21 pm
Simply put: the price of freedom is eternal vigilance. A smart phone is a valuable weapon in this.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 30 Aug, 2015 09:36 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
The Seattle Pi story was, I think, the same as the one you saw somewhere else, snort, minutes apart - which is good, it's getting around the country, about the same guy anyway. I remember it as well written.

The smartphone thing was something I pushed in my title because there is some backlash to them reccently, how people can hardly walk down the street these days because other people aren't watching where they are going. Now those phones are sounding smart again in another way.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Mon 31 Aug, 2015 08:08 am
@ossobuco,
I gave up my addiction to cell phones eight years ago. I may have to get a smart phone specifically to be a citizen witness.

ossobuco

Reply Mon 31 Aug, 2015 09:53 am
@bobsal u1553115,
I've kept my old dumb one mainly to have in case of car breakdown (triple A to the rescue) or some weird medical need (never happens but y'never know).

I'm an old photographer, not a pro, but avid for decades, and have taken hundreds of street photos. I have enough of those now, am busy enough trying to organize the ones I have, as I still like the prints. We'll see - I may switch cell phones one of these days, and that would be a fair part of the reason.
DarkCrow

Reply Mon 31 Aug, 2015 12:05 pm
@ossobuco,
I carry an older iPhone, but prefer the old flip phones. There are alternatives to taking good video. I had a Go Pro for a while, but gave it to my son. It was too large for street use. I wanted to be less obvious but not secretive. There are smaller 720 or 1080p dedicated video rigs that are the size of a thumb drive. As far as dealing with the authorities and street video, it can get very dicey. There is no consistency in the education of police and their interpretation of said laws. There are many great articles in Photographic journals and magazines about our rights as street photogs. But I never push the point. My equipment and my knees are too valuable. (pushed to ground once covering an event) The World appears a bit more aggressive now than it was twenty years ago. Having said that, I recall 1968 in Chicago, Kent State, 1964 Alabama...etc. Maybe we just see more of the aggression that was always there. Photographers of any level seem to give us some perspective in a situation or event. More cameras out there is probably a good thing in the long run. As long as all the video is seen and any editing is for technical reasons not to slant the coverage.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Mon 31 Aug, 2015 03:50 pm
This why we need to witness, no one else will:

http://editorialcartoonists.com/cartoons/RallT/2015/RallT20150831_low.jpg
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2017 06:29 am

If All Movies Had Cell Phones :
It's a nine year old video with really outdated phones but it still hits home.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2017 08:08 am
Lots of workers use their phone cameras to prove how well their job went or didn't went.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » One reason I can see a good use for smartphones, beside the usual
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/24/2024 at 04:34:29