antifreeze poison

Fri 28 Aug, 2015 10:28 pm
My friend has been taking a teaspoon of antifreeze ever day for the last 10 days and continues to do it will she be ok

Ragman

Fri 28 Aug, 2015 10:29 pm
@brezzydonna7,
Why is she doing that? Stop her! It is deadly. In your subject for this topic, you know that it's poison.

It's definitely poison and she's trying to kill herself.

Here is the data on 2 different types of antifreeze. It is deadly:
https://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/002751.htm
0 Replies

roger

Fri 28 Aug, 2015 10:58 pm
If she's dosing herself with the old ethylene glycol, she has probably done her kidneys irreparable damage. If it's the newer propylene glycol, who knows? The chemical itself is probably safe, but who the heck knows what else has been added to inhibit corrosion and other chemicals.

Has the friend been depressed or showing suicidal tendencies?
Ragman

Fri 28 Aug, 2015 11:05 pm
@roger,
Pls take a look at the link I provided. Propylene glycol is not safe. All of these are poison:
Ethylene glycol
Methanol
Propylene glycol
roger

Sat 29 Aug, 2015 12:00 am
@Ragman,
Okay, let's play dueling links.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propylene_glycol
Ragman

Sat 29 Aug, 2015 02:29 am
@roger,
I read and acknowledge the lower toxicity. I also read that ethylene glycol is but gradually being replaced by propylene glycol due to its lower toxicity.Which means that there's a still a fair chance that this person may be ingesting a highly toxic level of poisin

It remains to be clarified whether or not this person is actually trying to committ suicide...by taking the more dangerous version (ethylene glycol) or the lesser of the evils. It's not good either way, if this is actually the truth.
brezzydonna7

Sat 29 Aug, 2015 04:19 am
@brezzydonna7,
She's extremly depressed... but refuses to go into a hospital. The church abandoned her due to her depression saying she effects the body of christ. She to depressed. Even her best friend left her. She wants to die I was just hoping the antifrezze wouldn't hurt her
tsarstepan

Sat 29 Aug, 2015 05:18 am
@brezzydonna7,
Call the police. They can appropriately handle her case and get her necessary medical help.

Call the police rather than an ambulance as this is self-inflicted. In terms of getting her committed into a hospital (at this point, a NECESSITY not an option) this might make sure that she won't be able to block any attempts at Involuntary commitment or civil commitment.

Quote:
For ethylene glycol: Death may occur within the first 24 hours. If the patient survives, there may be little or no urine output for several weeks before the kidneys recover. Any brain damage may be permanent. Vision loss or blindness may also be permanent.

For methanol: Methanol is extremely toxic. As little as 2 tablespoons can kill a child, while 2 to 8 oz. can be deadly for an adult. The ultimate outcome depends on how much was swallowed and how soon appropriate care was given.

https://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/002751.htm
Tes yeux noirs

Sat 29 Aug, 2015 05:51 am
@brezzydonna7,
Quote:
The church abandoned her due to her depression saying she effects the body of christ.

No true church would do this.
0 Replies

roger

Sat 29 Aug, 2015 03:27 pm
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:

I read and acknowledge the lower toxicity. I also read that ethylene glycol is but gradually being replaced by propylene glycol due to its lower toxicity.Which means that there's a still a fair chance that this person may be ingesting a highly toxic level of poisin

And I have to acknowledge that a teaspoon a day of propylene glycol might be in the toxic range. "The dose makes the poison"> They use it in ice cream and many other kinds of food and medicine, but surely not at those. You can get it at Tractor Supply for under $30.00 per gallon. It's used as some sort of medication for cows or calves. The grade in antifreeze is surely not USP certified, but I would still be very concerned in any other additives found in the anti freeze. It is clearly not intended for human or animal consumption.
0 Replies

chai2

Sat 29 Aug, 2015 03:59 pm
@brezzydonna7,
brezzydonna7 wrote:

I was just hoping the antifrezze wouldn't hurt her

Well, while you're sitting around hoping, she could be causing herself permanent damage, or kill herself.

I think the word "just" needs to be banished from the English lanuage.

Does no one feel a sense of urgency about anything anymore? I mean, besides the obvious situations where someone doesn't text you right back.

roger

Sat 29 Aug, 2015 04:16 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

I think the word "just" needs to be banished from the English language

Kind of like the word "but"? Usually, you can safely ignore everything before the word "but".
0 Replies

farmerman

Thu 3 Sep, 2015 02:33 pm
@tsarstepan,
propylene glycol is used for RV antifreeze. Its a food grade stuff and Its often used in recipes as a sweetener.

Maybe shes drinking RV antifreeze. Itll cause intoxication but you gotta drink a lot at once to get really fucked up.

I actually think that propylene glycol is made as both Halal and kosher
0 Replies