Xe is out of xyr f'ing mind.

Reply Fri 28 Aug, 2015 02:35 pm
University of Tennessee has now published this wonderful chart to stop proper English grammar from hurting people's feelings. It actually took me a little while to convince myself that this wasn't an onion article.

http://diversity.utdev3.wpengine.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/17/2015/08/gender-pronouns.png

I am all for making society more inclusive, but this is ridiculous. It may just be me, but it doesn't seem that the person making the chart had any clue about English grammar.

http://diversity.utk.edu/2015/08/pronouns/
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 653 • Replies: 4
No top replies

djjd62

Reply Fri 28 Aug, 2015 03:02 pm
if i happen upon something that appears to be female i usually address it as Rachel, if the thing appears to be male i use Glenn (with two N's), if i can't make a distinction i lower my gaze and keep moving
maxdancona

Reply Fri 28 Aug, 2015 03:21 pm
@djjd62,
I am willing to use any of the real English singular pronoun that someone wants me to use. If you want to be "he", or "she" or "it", I will do my best to accommodate you.

But to make up silly new pronouns is going a bit far in my view. (And by the way Djjd, lowering your gaze doesn't work unless he or she is wearing very tight pants.)

0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 28 Aug, 2015 03:30 pm
@djjd62,
If you can't make a distinction, you could use Chris or Pat.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Fri 28 Aug, 2015 04:12 pm
Hmm, are the h's aspirated in the words "zhee, zhere, zheres and zhem?"

If not, then there's no need to write them; "zee, zere, zeres and zem" would be more phonetic.
0 Replies