Am I settling? Are we too different?

Reply Fri 28 Aug, 2015 09:46 am
So there's this guy... I shall call him Dave. We were practically best friends in elementary school and really got along well... shared a lot of the same interests, etc. But we drifted apart in middle school and high school to kinda hang out with separate crowds due to our classes and such. He was in band and football; and I had 4-H club among others. Long story short, we saw very little of each other. To top that off we also went to different colleges. But then we started to reconnect a bit over facebook, simply chatting and venting about our classes etc to each other but it never went any farther than that.

Now that we're out of college, we both ended up in the same town again. We are both single young(ish) adults in a town where it seems like all our classmates and even the underclassmen have paired up and started families. We have started chatting again, pretty regularly. We can still make each other laugh and seem to still have at least a bit of that same connection we had in elementary school.... BUT we lead very different lives and schedules. I work 1st shift essentially and he works 3rd. I love the outdoors and country life and he's a bit of a game geek and likes to cosplay. I've gathered indirectly that he dislikes anything to do with "rednecks and hicks" as some put it (at least he did), but that is really the world that I have grown up in. Yet I have also gathered that he definitely has an interest in me, as he's already asked me on a date, despite knowing that I am involved heavily in the rural lifestyle. Honestly I'm a little confused and unsure what to make of the situation. I'm afraid we are too different to be more than friends and I don't want to ruin what we have... I always thought that the only person I could see myself with is a country guy, but to this point, that has not happened nor do I expect it to anytime soon. I am 26 and am not getting any younger. I want a family eventually but don't want to be middle aged before that happens. Would I be settling if I tried to make it work with Dave? And COULD we even make it work with our different schedules and lifestyles? Could anyone share some of their experiences or do you have any advice?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 919 • Replies: 5
No top replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 28 Aug, 2015 10:02 am
@julien90,
Going on a date is not a commitment to a future with someone.

What would be the downside to going on one date with Dave?
0 Replies

Paaskynen

Reply Fri 28 Aug, 2015 12:49 pm
@julien90,
As Ebeth says, there is no harm in going on a date with, let's call him Dave. However, if you see your future as the spouse of a redneck, perhaps you ought to make it clearer to Dave that you think he is not what you are looking for. Being in the F-zone is the most damaging experience many men go through and colours their experience of women.
0 Replies

darkakari

Reply Sat 29 Aug, 2015 01:56 pm
@julien90,
Opposites attract, nobody would have any fun if we were all the same cookie cutter ppl now would we. Hey it might work out and it might not. Don't knock it till you try it. So go have fun and find out for yourself.
0 Replies

FOUND SOUL

Reply Sat 29 Aug, 2015 03:54 pm
@julien90,
I think that you are over thinking things and I understand that, that could be due to you being 26.

But, you are "assuming" a lot here.

For years you two laugh and when ever you do catch up be it face-book or any other way, you have common ground conversations.

The reality is sometimes opposite attracts as I note someone stated above whilst I fixed this error where I wrote "opposite attacks" Smile

Morals having the same core beliefs however, is a different story.

I get an impression you would grill him on his beliefs Smile Which would not constitute a date.

We don't know what will happen nor do you but unless you give it a go, you will never know.

We aren't talking marriage here just a date and if you have been friends for this long and it doesn't work out and progresses forward then I am sure you will remain friends.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Sat 29 Aug, 2015 04:04 pm
You don't mention anything about whether there is a "spark" between you two. That would be a good consideration.

If there isn't, don't go out with him. He will zap your energy. Find someone who likes to do the things you do. Don't bend to his.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Am I settling? Are we too different?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 01:02:32