What's the difference between a human being and a human person?

Reply Thu 27 Aug, 2015 05:12 pm
IS there a difference? I've heard this argument used before when discussing abortion. Some people say that although the fetus is genetically a unique human being, it is not a "person." I don't get it. What's the science behind that?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 2,112 • Replies: 17
No top replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 27 Aug, 2015 05:32 pm
@kellirosej,
Personhood is a legal status.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Thu 27 Aug, 2015 06:01 pm
@kellirosej,
There is no science, these moral questions can't be answered by science. Each society invents their own answers to what a person is and what rights they have.

Our modern society has decided that human fetuses get rights at some arbitrary point somewhat related to the age of viability. There is no reason for this, we just made it up.

There is no reason for any human rights... we just made up all of them.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 27 Aug, 2015 07:24 pm
@kellirosej,
I have always been of the opinion that the fetus should be allowed to reach the stage where it can make its own decision vis a vis abortion. A lot of folks are not willing to allow sufficient time for that to take place, however.
maxdancona

Reply Thu 27 Aug, 2015 07:26 pm
@neologist,
Quote:
I have always been of the opinion that the fetus should be allowed to reach the stage where it can make its own decision vis a vis abortion.

Huh? If it reaches that stage, and decided that yes, it wanted to be aborted... what happens then? I don't think your point makes any sense, Neo.
djjd62

Reply Thu 27 Aug, 2015 07:31 pm
@neologist,
wonderful
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 27 Aug, 2015 07:44 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
. . . Huh? If it reaches that stage, and decided that yes, it wanted to be aborted... what happens then? I don't think your point makes any sense, Neo.
OW!
I bit my tongue.
That's what I get for tongue in cheek posts.

But on another note:
How many fetuses would you expect to submit to very late term abortion at the age of, let's say, 18 years?
djjd62

Reply Thu 27 Aug, 2015 07:47 pm
@neologist,
if teen suicide or suicide attempts due to feeling unwanted or unloved is any indication, there's certainly some who would/do
maxdancona

Reply Thu 27 Aug, 2015 07:49 pm
@neologist,
Teenage suicide is a real problem, Neo. I don't think you want to go there.

neologist

Reply Thu 27 Aug, 2015 07:51 pm
@djjd62,
I don't know the statistics, but I would surmise the number of teen suicides falls far short of the number of abortions.

I'll consider a look at other's research, though.
neologist

Reply Thu 27 Aug, 2015 07:56 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
Teenage suicide is a real problem, Neo. I don't think you want to go there.
You certainly may be right; but the dark reality is that suicide, which may seem a Hobson's choice, is nevertheless a choice made by the one who's life is involved, whereas the fetus is afforded no such choice.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Thu 27 Aug, 2015 07:59 pm
@neologist,
The tragedy and pain caused by teen suicides experienced by the teen and his or her family far surpasses that caused by abortion. A fetus doesn't suffer depression, loneliness and hopelessness. Nor do the families a fetus suffer the grief of losing a loved one.

The reason that most people accept the abortion of a fetus is that it doesn't know anything. It hasn't experienced anything and doesn't have any understanding. It hasn't lived the life or impacted the people that make the loss of a child so tragic.

A fetus is just a collection of cells. A teenager is a human being with a developed mind, the ability to communicate and understand the world around it and connections and experiences with other human beings.

You are really crossing a line with this one, Neo.
neologist

Reply Thu 27 Aug, 2015 08:02 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
A fetus is just a collection of cells. . . You are really crossing a line with this one, Neo. . .
Yes, I believe you are right.
djjd62

Reply Thu 27 Aug, 2015 08:08 pm
@maxdancona,
it's an honest point of discussion, sometimes you have to cross a line if you're going to get where you're going
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Fri 28 Aug, 2015 01:07 am
It seems that you all want to force a woman to carry a child to term no matter how she was impregnated. Not only that but I believe that a child is not considered able to make decisions until they are 12 or so. Dosent make much sense to me either. Sounds like another way to enforce anti abortion.
djjd62

Reply Fri 28 Aug, 2015 04:55 am
@RABEL222,
i can't speak for the other folks on this thread but i say abortions for all, i'm also all for physician assisted suicide if an illness (or perhaps even life itself) becomes unbearable, the ultimate in late term abortion
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 28 Aug, 2015 11:48 am
@RABEL222,
Sorry to have rearranged your post. Just trying to be efficient.
RABEL222 wrote:
Not only that but I believe that a child is not considered able to make decisions until they are 12 or so.
It was a tongue in cheek suggestion. But, consider it for a moment: Suppose you were to reach the age of 12 only to be told your mother had considered abortion, but waited until now to offer the pro choice to you. What choice would you be likely to make? Just a guess, but I am thinking you would lean pro life.Let me know if you would have chosen otherwise.
RABEL222 wrote:
It seems that you all want to force a woman to carry a child to term no matter how she was impregnated. . . Sounds like another way to enforce anti abortion.
I don't know about the motives of others. AS for me, I can't envision any attempt to rewrite legislation or even define what is moral. But I would hope to have folks get their definitions straight.
Regarding the unborn, is it only a matter of viewpoint?
Zygote or Baby?
Fetus or Infant?
Clump of cells or Human?
Abortion or Legalized Infanticide?
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Sat 29 Aug, 2015 01:45 am
@neologist,
Quote:
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

A fetus is just a collection of cells. . . You are really crossing a line with this one, Neo. . .

Yes, I believe you are right.

I think the Supreme Court already made that medical decision. Personally I would like to see abortion outlawed for most abortions with the provision that help be given to children born out of wedlock and unmarried mothers. But rape and incest should be considered along with the mothers health. It would be nice to make the daddys pay to support their kids.
0 Replies