"could not raise a mouthful of water"? Is it a hyperbole?

Reply Thu 27 Aug, 2015 06:01 am

Context:

Frederick also expressed disappointment with Euler's practical engineering abilities:

I wanted to have a water jet in my garden: Euler calculated the force of the wheels necessary to raise the water to a reservoir, from where it should fall back through channels, finally spurting out in Sanssouci. My mill was carried out geometrically and could not raise a mouthful of water closer than fifty paces to the reservoir. Vanity of vanities! Vanity of geometry![19]

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
McTag
  Selected Answer

Reply Thu 27 Aug, 2015 07:27 am
@oristarA,

Quote:

No, it's a rather awkward translation, presumably from German into English.
It will be factual: the pump could raise water to a point closer than fifty paces (50 steps...say 40 metres) to the new reservoir (intended to supply the garden fountain with water under pressure.)
oristarA

Reply Thu 27 Aug, 2015 08:51 am
@McTag,
McTag wrote:

Quote:

No, it's a rather awkward translation, presumably from German into English.
It will be factual: the pump could raise water to a point closer than fifty paces (50 steps...say 40 metres) to the new reservoir (intended to supply the garden fountain with water under pressure.)

Still, I don't think Euler could have been so poor in engineering: first we use a mill to raise water, then we can channel it to the reservoir. He's considered the greatest mathematician in history by some people, after all.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Thu 27 Aug, 2015 10:19 am
Yeah, you can take it as hyperbole. He's saying that his mill couldn't raise water sufficiently. If it couldn't raise a mouthful of water closer than fifty paces to a reservoir then I'd say it couldn't raise water at all.
McTag

Reply Thu 27 Aug, 2015 11:56 am
@InfraBlue,

No a mouthful, not a drop, no water was brought closer that fifty paces.

It's no exaggeration (= hyperbole). I leave others to guess the reasons behind the problem. Pump efficiency? Leaky pipes? Probably not Euler's calculations, as noted.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Thu 27 Aug, 2015 01:44 pm
Ok, that is what he's getting at, no water raised at all.

It's a nice figure of speech.
0 Replies