3 or 4 way switch/dimmer woes.

Reply Wed 26 Aug, 2015 09:25 am
Hello,
I preface this by saying I am NOT an electrician, just a DIYer lol. The power is OFF

TLDR: Can't get a dimmer to work because I am a N00b.
So I have a circuit for one lamp to which I want to add a dimmer (5 wire wifi enabled). The circuit is set up as follows.

There are 3 switches. Two 3-wire, and One 4-wire(4 way as I understand). The box I am working in is one of the 3 wire verities. To complicate things, the box in which I am working also has a switch which I presume once operated a ceiling fan (it is a 2 wire and does nothing) and it is wired into the whole thing.

So what I am left with is the box, which has FOUR bundles of romex (Two 2-wire and two 3-wire) coming in. There is a wire nut tying together most of the white(neutral) and an unused ground. I removed the 3 wires from the old switch as instructed, and connected them to the dimmer (ground, neutral from the bundle, Load, and TWO "travelers" <---this I think is my problem) Nothing. The dimmer LED doesn't light, and neither does the fixture.

I know this is probably confusing and a long shot. I also know it will probably end in having to call a professional lol.

Thanks for any help. I can answer questions, or send pictures if need be.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 598 • Replies: 2
No top replies

engineer

Reply Wed 26 Aug, 2015 02:43 pm
@LeonRedbone,
Can you find the owners manual for the switch you bought and post a link?
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Wed 26 Aug, 2015 02:47 pm
@LeonRedbone,
LeonRedbone wrote:

I removed the 3 wires from the old switch as instructed, and connected them to the dimmer (ground, neutral from the bundle, Load, and TWO "travelers" <---this I think is my problem) Nothing. The dimmer LED doesn't light, and neither does the fixture.

It looks as though you may be unsure as to the identification of the three wires removed from the original switch. Have you tried reinstalling the original switch to see if the circuit still works?

Please provide the mfr/model number of the switch you are installing so that I can see the instructions you are trying to follow.
0 Replies