sharing subscription based magazine content

Reply Mon 24 Aug, 2015 06:51 am
Hi
Does anyone the offical stance if I have a subscription to an online magazine, which features an article which I think may be of interest to a friend or colleague, so i tell them about it and they ask me to send them the full article becasue they cant see it as not a subscriber. Can i legally do this? There is a section in their terms and conditions that says I can't share my username and password, but nothing about "a copy and paste". I would include the article authors name.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 1,041 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 24 Aug, 2015 06:59 am
@Nianotreve,
Are they paying you or are you making some sort of profit? If not, that is fair use, as far as I know, in US. Think about what is going on with sharing of music MP3.

Also, you are not allowed to broadcast the text..or publish it in public..e.g. on FB or anywhere on the Internet. One-time sharing is acceptable, as far as I know.
Nianotreve

Reply Mon 24 Aug, 2015 07:05 am
@Ragman,
Thanks for the quick reply - yes they are actually paying me ie the company that i work for - They are not paying us to supply them with the articles though, this i guess would be more "added value"]
Ragman

Reply Mon 24 Aug, 2015 07:15 am
@Nianotreve,
I'm not 100% sure about this. you never wrote that you're operating in a corporate setting. Perhaps someone at your job could advise you best about the legality. You can't expose your company to any liability.

Quote:
yes they are actually paying me ie the company that i work for - They are not paying us to supply them with the articles though
This isn't making sense to me. Can you clarify?
0 Replies

HesDeltanCaptain

Reply Mon 24 Aug, 2015 07:27 am
@Nianotreve,
Usually they'll say something like you can share a "portion" of the content but not the entire thing.

Aggragate sites like Drudge and others do this by giving just a short preview of the content while linking to the actual site. But they don't give the full article.

For this particular example, my thinking would be no it'd be illegal.

For myself, I'd rather let people freely read, distribute, and copy anything I write than close it off behind a wall demanding to be paid first. But then that's the difference between artists and hacks. Wink
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 24 Aug, 2015 10:13 am
@Nianotreve,
Unless your company or colleague is going to pay for a second distribution of the content, I think you're out of luck. But contact the legal department in your company to be sure - this is one of the reasons why they exist.
0 Replies