Tes yeux noirs

Reply Fri 21 Aug, 2015 04:35 pm
Quite a lot, then.
ehBeth

Reply Fri 21 Aug, 2015 04:51 pm
@Tes yeux noirs,
you're not kidding

Quote:
Experts disagree on the rate of sexual abuse among the general American male population, but Allen says a conservative estimate is one in 10.

Margaret Leland Smith, a researcher at the John Jay College of Criminal Justice, says her review of the numbers indicates it's closer to one in 5.

But in either case, the rate of abuse by Catholic priests is not higher than these national estimates.

The public also doesn't realize how "profoundly prevalent" child sexual abuse is, adds Smith.

Even those numbers may be low; research suggests that only a third of abuse cases are ever reported (making it the most underreported crime).

"However you slice it, it's a very common experience," Smith says.
Tes yeux noirs

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2015 02:16 am
@ehBeth,
Leland Smith and others have been saying this for years. It is hardly new, but still, of course, very disturbing. I would say that this applies to every Western society. There are convulsions in Britain at the moment over historical abuse by famous and often well-respected people in the media and politics, and an increasing awareness of just how common sexual abuse is. The historical abuse cases are showing that behaviour that was considered by many (not all!) to be 'just harmless fun' until very recently, are now seen as criminal.

I fully believe that not very much of this would be a surprise to most women. Most young girls (from the age of as low as 8 or 9!) get used to avoiding inappropriate touching. Not just sexual touching either. Girls and women have to put up with belittling and patronizing touching too, like being patted on the head or being steered by an arm around the shoulders etc. That is how power is exercised and people (women and children) 'put in their place'.

I think that dealing with this is going to be a big moral/social/legal conundrum in the coming years.

0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2015 05:26 am
But isn't this like saying that 'police commit as much crime', or 'psychiatrists have as much psychosis', or 'athletes are just as unhealthy'? I mean, just because "everybody's doing it", don't we still have to hold the so-called subject matter experts to a higher standard? Because if not, which way is up, y'know?
djjd62

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2015 05:33 am
@snood,
and, while most abusers have the shame of the victims (or threats to said victim) to hide behind, they don't have a global organization (that certainly was, if not still) complicate in covering up and hiding their actions
snood

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2015 06:02 am
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

and, while most abusers have the shame of the victims (or threats to said victim) to hide behind, they don't have a global organization (that certainly was, if not still) complicate in covering up and hiding their actions

I think the rank and file are definitely still covering it up. This latest Pope is at least trying to open up about it
0 Replies

HesDeltanCaptain

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2015 06:16 am
@snood,
It's only 'just as much' if you average it out over the whole population.
Tes yeux noirs

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2015 06:19 am
@HesDeltanCaptain,
Quote:
It's only 'just as much' if you average it out over the whole population.

And your point is what exactly?
HesDeltanCaptain

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2015 06:24 am
@Tes yeux noirs,
I have many points, but since you're not the one I was replying to, perhaps you should read more books to be able to figure this sort of thing out on your own.
Tes yeux noirs

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2015 07:15 am
@HesDeltanCaptain,
I am puzzled by the point you made to snood. You say "It's only 'just as much' if you average it out over the whole population.", Well, the comparison was made between the whole population, and the population of priests. If this latter group is sufficiently numerous, then the comparison may be statistically valid. As far as I can see, you seem to be doing the same trolling thing you do in other threads, namely, issue some opaque or nonsensical post and then get abusive when people seek clarification. All because you have a 13 year old's desire for attention. Maybe you could find some sand that needs pounding?
snood

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2015 07:17 am
@Tes yeux noirs,
Tes yeux noirs wrote:

I am puzzled by the point you made to snood. You say "It's only 'just as much' if you average it out over the whole population.", Well, the comparison was made between the whole population, and the population of priests. If this latter group is sufficiently numerous, then the comparison may be statistically valid. As far as I can see, you seem to be doing the same trolling thing you do in other threads, namely, issue some opaque or nonsensical post and then get abusive when people seek clarification. All because you have a 13 year old's desire for attention. Maybe you could find some sand that needs pounding?

Touche'
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2015 07:50 am
@JoeBruno,
The problem is that the so called studies seems to be getting numbers out of thin air in the same manner as the claims that one in four or five college women are sexually assaulted during their four years in college.

At the same time that reported rapes on or off college campuses are at a three to four decades low.
Tes yeux noirs

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2015 08:35 am
@BillRM,
Quote:
the so called studies seems to be getting numbers out of thin air

You know this how?
BillRM

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2015 04:54 pm
@Tes yeux noirs,
By looking at similar studies/claims over the years.

Given the history of complete bullshit when it come to such numbers, all such numbers are more then questionable unless and until proven otherwise.
Tes yeux noirs

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2015 05:16 pm
@BillRM,
Quote:
By looking at similar studies/claims over the years.

That doesn't mean diddley. You don't know anything.

BillRM

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2015 06:28 pm
@Tes yeux noirs,
Quote:
That doesn't mean diddley. You don't know anything.

LOL and anything that is reported as fact by the news media should b e given credit because of what?
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sun 30 Aug, 2015 11:19 am
@Tes yeux noirs,
Quote:

http://www.natureworldreport.com/2015/08/the-way-people-think-or-act-is-beyond-the-reach-of-scientific-studies/

About 100 psychology and social science studies were tried to duplicate by a team of 270 scientists that had been published in three top peer-reviewed US journals in 2008.

The findings in the journal Science said that just 39 percent came out with same results as the initial reports.

Study co-author Brian Nosek from the University of Virginia said the research shows the need for scientists to continually question themselves.

Nosek said scientists are also under pressure to publish their research regularly and in top journals, and the process can lead to a skewed picture.

“It’s important to note that this somewhat disappointing outcome does not speak directly to the validity or the falsity of the theories,” said Gilbert Chin, a psychologist and senior editor at the journal Science.

The study topics ranged from people’s social lives and interactions with others to research involving perception, attention and memory.

0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Priests Commit No More Sexual Abuse Than Other Males
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.1 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 02:12:28