TheCobbler

Thu 27 Aug, 2015 04:29 pm
@djjd62,
Those "damned rice burners" as you call them, were economical and set the trend for nearly all cars to come. While the USA was making ever increasingly larger SUV's and gas guzzling V8 sedans the Japanese (and Germans and Italians etc...) were cornering the market on gas efficient "compact cars"...

This is what led to the near collapse of the US auto industry. I guess the auto industry figured out that they could no longer let the oil industry decide the MPG of cars and they had to compete with Japan on fuel efficiency or die...

So in essence it was not the Japanese that "took away the jobs" it was US auto manufacturers making ever increasingly more expensive gas guzzling SUV's that took the jobs.

Consumers don't care if the oil companies want to sell more gas, they simply want something efficient, safe and economical.

Just to be clear, most SUV's are generally more dangerous on the road than a compact car. The sheer added weight of them alone is enough pierce most guardrails and send them toppling over cliffs and bridges into ravines.

Bigger is not always better.

And just to make one thing clear, the very first model T Ford ran on ethanol made from corn not gasoline made from crude oil.

It was a "corn burner"...

Wikipedia
Rice straw can potentially produce 205 billion liter bioethanol per year in the world, which is about 5% of total of consumption. It is the largest amount from a single biomass feedstock. Rice straw predominantly contains cellulose 32–47%, hemicelluloses 19–27%, lignin 5–24% and ashes 18.8%

A rice burner referred to any compact car, not just Japanese made ones...

So yes, a Volkswagen bug is a rice burner also.
Finn dAbuzz

Thu 27 Aug, 2015 05:17 pm
@TheCobbler,
Cobble this...
TheCobbler

Thu 27 Aug, 2015 08:44 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
No thanks Smile
0 Replies

TheCobbler

Fri 28 Aug, 2015 12:00 am
What's up with this?
https://www.facebook.com/NYDailyNews/videos/10152945688017541/
0 Replies

TheCobbler

Fri 28 Aug, 2015 12:23 am
To lay down one's life...
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10152463427716661
0 Replies

snood

Fri 28 Aug, 2015 05:50 pm
Ohio Cop Pulls Over Black Man Who 'Made Direct Eye Contact' With Him

"Only after handing over a written warning did the officer acknowledge the real reason he'd pulled over Felton, a black man who was driving a car with out-of-state plates: He had "made direct eye contact" with the officer.

The Dayton Police Department confirmed the incident in a statement emailed to The Huffington Post on Friday, and acknowledged that "making direct eye contact with an officer" is not a legitimate reason to be stopped."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/cop-pulls-over-black-man-making-eye-contact_55e0ad60e4b0b7a96338e614
TheCobbler

Sat 29 Aug, 2015 12:15 am
@snood,
He must be guilty, he looked at him... (cynical)

Last night I saw a cop cruiser with a headlight out, he drove into a convenience store parking lot. His window was rolled down and he had a female in the cruiser with him. I told him, "Hey, your headlight is out". He said, "I am aware it this" (in a smart tone of voice). I live in a metro with over 100,000 residents, the station was only a 1/2 mile down the road but I guess it is just fine for him to drive around with one headlight. He drove off in the opposite direction from the station... Who polices the police?
hawkeye10

Sat 29 Aug, 2015 12:28 am
@TheCobbler,
You are just pissed that you did not get your gay ass kissed by a cop.
TheCobbler

Sat 29 Aug, 2015 12:42 am
USA: Donald Trump to Blacks: Go Back to Africa
http://www.africannewstoday.com/world/usa-donald-trump-to-blacks-go-back-to-africa/

Let's hope stuff like this provokes Blacks, Latinos and Asians to get out and vote no matter what hardships are placed in their way.

I will be voting for Hillary, she has a proven record on civil rights and women's issues. She has the strongest civil rights record of ANY candidate, including Bernie. I love Bernie but, Hillary is the ticket for me.

Hillary pisses off the Republicans the most too! That is a sign she is the one to support!
TheCobbler

Sat 29 Aug, 2015 12:44 am
@hawkeye10,
Why are you so curious about my gay ass? It is none of your stinking business.
Lash

Sat 29 Aug, 2015 05:12 am
@TheCobbler,
Hillary can't touch Bernie on civil rights- but I can definitely see your attraction to her. You both believe saying some ridiculous bulshit will be accepted as fact by people who don't know better.
0 Replies

snood

Sat 29 Aug, 2015 05:13 am
@TheCobbler,
Racist, misogynist AND homophobe! The trifecta!
0 Replies

snood

Sat 29 Aug, 2015 08:45 am
Los Angeles woman gets out of her car and DANCES before cops arrest her

http://thegrio.com/2015/08/28/los-angeles-woman-gets-out-of-her-car-and-dances-before-cops-arrest-her/#comments

NBC Los Angeles reports that around 10pm, a high speed chase ensued after 25-year-old Kelsey Wood, failed to yield to police while driving erratically. During the incident she ran over two spike billowed from the blown tires.

That is when video shows the suspect jump out of the driver’s seat and begin to dance around, spinning and throwing her hands in the air, as if nonplussed by her predicament.

She then got back into the vehicle and continued to nod her head until an officer pulled her out, pinned her to the ground and handcuffed her.

She was detained around 10.22pm and booked for felony evading and allegedly driving a stolen vehicle.

Given the recent backlash over the Sandra Bland case, some are pointing out that this incident very clearly illustrates the disparity between how people of color are treated during encounters with police versus others in the community
ossobuco

Sat 29 Aug, 2015 10:27 am
@snood,
This report is clearer on what happened re the tires.. but no different re treatment of her. She wasn't shot at.

I get your point, white woman vs black person. I don't know the stats re how many are ever shot after chases and after what specific police described behavior, though I do see the discrepancies are quite large. I also don't know if the discrepancies in general are more against black men than black women who made cops give chase, per situation, as I suppose less women cause them to give chase.

0 Replies

snood

Tue 1 Sep, 2015 07:41 am
Fox News’ Bill O’Reilly vows to “put #BlackLivesMatter out of business”

“I’m dissenting, they’re a hate group,” O’Reilly said, “and I’m going to tell you right now, I’m going to put them out of business. And any media person who supports them, I’m going to put them on this program and put a picture of them on the air.”

http://www.salon.com/2015/09/01/fox_news_bill_oreilly_vows_to_put_blacklivesmatter_out_of_business/
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Tue 1 Sep, 2015 11:40 am
Didn't there used to be someone in this forum (Rosa Smoza?) who was declared a racist for posting articles on Black on White violence?
0 Replies

Foofie

Tue 1 Sep, 2015 12:18 pm
Back in the 1960's the concern was that Black education matters. That seems very well focused. To say Black Lives Matter is obvious. Who says they don't? Think of all the different types of employment that Black Americans have. The economy requires their lives to matter. Plus, with many conservatives wanting to show that abortion is amoral, who gets many of the abortions (rhetorical question). It should then be obvious that to conservatives that Black lives matter.

0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Tue 1 Sep, 2015 12:55 pm
Bad Cops are particularly loathsome due to the oath they take and they power they wield. When they can be identified and caught they should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law. However, this end is not served, in the least and is, in fact a detriment, when people accuse innocent cops of murdering black (or any other color) criminals. Ie Ferguson and St Louis.

Isn't it racist, in and of itself, to accept that black men and women are incapable of understanding facts and differentiating between good and bad cops? Why shouldn't we hold them up to the same standards of rationality we expect from every other race?

I know it's not the same, but when I was a long haired hippie I was on a few occasions harassed by cops for no reason other than I looked like a hippie. It pissed me off, and I might have initially assumed that in a similar instance involving a cop and a hippie the cop was wrong, but I am absolutely certain that I wouldn't have clung to that assumption in the face of numerous facts which proved otherwise.

(I know, I know...perfect example of "White Privilege")

If you have experienced harassment by cops for no reason other than your race, you have an absolute right to be pissed and distrust cops. What you don't have a right to do is tar all cops with the same brush, ignore facts and worst of all, call for or condone violence against any and all cops.

"Black Lives Matter" is an absurd slogan that has no meaning except in the minds of the people who consider themselves part of or sympathetic to the Black Lives Matter "movement."

The average American hears the slogan and says "Of course they do. All lives matter." Then they see the BLM members going ballistic over any such statement and they think, "What are these people saying? That all lives don't matter? That black lives matter than white, yellow or red lives? What is wrong with these people?"

But let's give them their slogan, but not necessarily the right to define it for all of us:

If black lives matter why are so many blacks ending them through murder and abortion?

Skip the latter if you are Pro-life, but focus on the former. The black on black crime statistics in this nation are like Lord Voldemort, their "names" cannot be spoken. If you are a white person (as I am) and your raise the matter you are very often labeled a racist for doing so. The argument is that the only reason a white person would is to distract from the issue of white cops killing black people. How do you argue against such nonsense?

Whites kill blacks and blacks kill whites, but in neither case to the extent that blacks are killing blacks. As a white person living in a well-to-do neighborhood I probably have a better chance of being killed by my wife than a black person. I'm not worried about black violence as long as it is so obviously focused on other blacks.

If one was truly a racist, one would never bring up black on black crime statistics for fear that it might somehow change the norm.

I get that blacks are not inclined favorably towards whites telling them to get their own house in order, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't, especially if they don't trust whites to help their people. Who else is going to do it? Obama? Give me a break.

0 Replies

hawkeye10

Tue 1 Sep, 2015 01:40 pm
What happens to BLM with reports of surging crime rates and repeated reports of the execution of cops?

This is a no-brainer.

What a wasted opportunity, wasted by a cop hating ghetto culture mashed up with fantasizing feminists driving the very unfortunately named "Black Lives Matter" .
hawkeye10

Tue 1 Sep, 2015 01:55 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
Activists with the Black Lives Matter movement rejected the Democratic Party's recent statement of support, making clear that they are not affiliated with any political party.

"A resolution signaling the Democratic National Committee's endorsement that Black lives matter, in no way implies an endorsement of the DNC by the Black Lives Matter Network, nor was it done in consultation with us," the Black Lives Matter Network wrote in a statement Sunday.

"We do not now, nor have we ever, endorsed or affiliated with the Democratic Party, or with any party. The Democratic Party, like the Republican and all political parties, have historically attempted to control or contain Black people's efforts to liberate ourselves," the statement continues. "True change requires real struggle, and that struggle will be in the streets and led by the people, not by a political party."
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/black-lives-matter-dnc_55e48104e4b0c818f6188cab

In other words " we intend to keep yelling and destroying stuff, we dont actually want to fix the "Justice" system". They are the typical self professed victim looking mostly for an excuse to keep on being an abuser.

Here in my very liberal Olympia Wa I am seeing an increasing weariness with BLM. We have unique issues going on here so that might not translate across the nation, but I bet it does.