If gays marry, then the terrorists have won!

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2004 09:03 am
Senate turns back gay marriage ban _ with an eye on November election (excerpt):

Sen. Rick Santorum, R-Pa., complained more than once during the Senate's debate that supporters of the amendment had been disparaged as intolerant.

"I would argue that the future of our country hangs in the balance because the future of marriage hangs in the balance," he said shortly before the vote. "Isn't that the ultimate homeland security, standing up and defending marriage?"

Well, this certainly is an eye-opener. I mean, we all knew that gay unions would destroy the institution of heterosexual marriage, endanger the family unit, and even increase the federal deficit. But I don't think we realized that gay marriage was a THREAT TO OUR NATIONAL SECURITY!

So, does this mean that Cheney and Rumsfeld are busy drawing up plans to invade Massachusetts? Will all gay couples be sent to Guantanamo for "questioning?" And will this stem the flow of "santorum" that is currently threatening to engulf our nation?

Noddy24

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2004 09:10 am
Joe--

As a voter in the Great State of PA, I've tried to keep Santorum out of office. Unfortunately....

Did you know that Santorum was violently against malpractice suits, a blight (even worse than gays) upon the landscape of Pennsylvania...until his wife sued her chiropractor?

Circumstances alter cusses.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2004 09:49 am
If a heterosexual marriage (that sacred institution with a 50% divorce rate) can be threatened by a few gays getting married how f*#king strong can it be?

I am insulted by the belief and assertion of these IDIOTS that the commitment shared between me and squinney and other married couples can be swayed and weakened because gays want to be married. Sorry folks, but speaking for me and squinney, we're not that stupid, or that weak. Sorry about you and yours.
0 Replies

Redheat

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2004 09:52 am
Is it me or do the Republicans seem to be getting nuttier by the day.

Jon Steward has a great piece on Santorum.

Remember when Karen Huges compared abortion to terrorism?

These days when it doubt associate it with terrorism. It's the same trick they used during the cold war. I'm not sure what is more scary, their saying it or people believing it. Shocked
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2004 10:10 am
Thanks Joe! Now I understand why the city of Boston is essentially shutting down for the DNC. The gay marriages have increased the threat of terrorism in Massachusetts. So with gay marriage and the DNC in a couple of weeks, Boston is going to be a very dangerous place indeed.

Since I work in Boston, I will keep you updated on my safety.

Bi-Poplar - what do you mean? Ever since this gay marriage thing was passed, my husband and I have been at each others throats.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2004 10:11 am
Noddy24 wrote:
Did you know that Santorum was violently against malpractice suits, a blight (even worse than gays) upon the landscape of Pennsylvania...until his wife sued her chiropractor?

Circumstances alter cusses.

Does this mean that when Santorum, getting all tingly and engorged, suddenly develops a deep, meaningful relationship with his wife's chiropractor, he'll drop his opposition to gay marriage?
0 Replies

revel

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2004 10:16 am
I think people like Santorum can only do those that think having a constiutional amendment to ban gay marriage exteme, good.

In my own private religious beliefs, I am against homosexual acts, but I don't think the government should mixed up in the issue.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2004 10:18 am
btw- a certain type always throws "terrorist" up for every issue from taxing to now gay marriage. I think the public is wising up to them. At least I hope so.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2004 10:44 am
perhaps Santorum can't get it up for his wife anymore because all he can think about is gay issues and he feels terrorized by it....
0 Replies

Redheat

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2004 12:11 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
perhaps Santorum can't get it up for his wife anymore because all he can think about is gay issues and he feels terrorized by it....

Part of it I'm sure but there's a good chance his wife is grateful for any distraction that keeps him at bay.

I just wish we could get past these phoney outrages, talk of tradition and family. What this is all boils down to is a bunch of sexually repressed right wingers are uncomfortable with the "sex" of two men. Not woman mind you for that turns them on but men.

Its about sex, not God, not tradition and not family.
0 Replies

JustanObserver

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2004 12:15 pm
Re: If gays marry, then the terrorists have won!
Santorum wrote:
" "Isn't that the ultimate homeland security, standing up and defending marriage?"

Can someone please punch this guy in the face?

HARD?
0 Replies

limbodog

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2004 12:16 pm
linkat, if you need backup, I'm just a few miles away. Good luck soldier!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2004 12:23 pm
Redheat wrote:
Is it me or do the Republicans seem to be getting nuttier by the day.

Hot new topic a few of us just noticed, and proof that Republicans are not getting nuttier at all these days. Rolling Eyes

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=29010&highlight=
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2004 12:31 pm
Redheat wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

Part of it I'm sure but there's a good chance his wife is grateful for any distraction that keeps him at bay.

I just wish we could get past these phoney outrages, talk of tradition and family. What this is all boils down to is a bunch of sexually repressed right wingers are uncomfortable with the "sex" of two men. Not woman mind you for that turns them on but men.

You're going to need a bigger shovel for the amount of BS that you have been shoveling.

Where do you come up with this stuff? It's about sex? that's crap.

"What this is all boils down to is a bunch of sexually repressed right wingers"? More crap. The left in government is just as opposed to gay marriage as the right is. Maybe you don't pay close enough attention or maybe your blinders are too narrow.

What it boils down to is the continued separation of church and state. A civil union is a government approved union between 2 people. A marriage is a religious ceremony performed by a religious body.

What it boils down to is the need to eradicate the religious portion of marriage from being the official union of 2 people and EVERYONE should be forced to have a civil union that is recognized by their state and federal government.

Then, if you so choose, you can have your religious ceremony that bestows no special governmental benefits.
0 Replies

limbodog

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2004 12:40 pm
McGentrix wrote:
Redheat wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

You're going to need a bigger shovel for the amount of BS that you have been shoveling.

Where do you come up with this stuff? It's about sex? that's crap.

"What this is all boils down to is a bunch of sexually repressed right wingers"? More crap. The left in government is just as opposed to gay marriage as the right is. Maybe you don't pay close enough attention or maybe your blinders are too narrow.

What it boils down to is the continued separation of church and state. A civil union is a government approved union between 2 people. A marriage is a religious ceremony performed by a religious body.

What it boils down to is the need to eradicate the religious portion of marriage from being the official union of 2 people and EVERYONE should be forced to have a civil union that is recognized by their state and federal government.

Then, if you so choose, you can have your religious ceremony that bestows no special governmental benefits.
There is no such thing as a "civil union" that I am aware of.

YOu go to the state house and get a "marriage" license.
Rick d Israeli

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2004 12:48 pm
Senator Rick Santorum should visit the Netherlands. Than he can see how much gay marriage is threatening our national security. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2004 12:49 pm
Although most states require that a ceremony be conducted before the couple is considered husband and wife, they don't specify what type of service.

Civil or non-religious ceremonies must be performed by a judge, justice of the peace or Court Clerk who has legal authority to perform marriages, or by a person given temporary authority by
a judge or Court Clerk to conduct a marriage ceremony.

This can be a judge of a Federal District Court, a U.S. magistrate, a judge of a Municipal Court, a judge of the Superior Court, a judge of a Tax Court, a retired judge who has resigned in good standing, a mayor, or a deputy mayor. Religious ceremonies must be conducted by a clergy member (every minister of every religion). In most states, a couple wishing to have both religious and civil ceremonies may be issued a license for both ceremonies on the basis of a single application.

There are normally no "mandatory" words in a marriage ceremony. The couple is simply required to indicate that they intend to take each other as spouses and say words to that effect.

After the ceremony is completed, the newly married couple files a marriage certificate with the proper state or local authorities and they are considered married. The person who performs the wedding frequently files this certificate for them within a few days of the wedding.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2004 12:52 pm
Quid nunc ? ! ? ! ?

So, the Stonewall Union is in bed with Al Qaeda?

Figuratively, or literally?
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2004 12:53 pm
McGentrix wrote:
[What it boils down to is the continued separation of church and state. A civil union is a government approved union between 2 people. A marriage is a religious ceremony performed by a religious body..
[/b]

If that's true then why are people so often married in a civil cermeony?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2004 12:57 pm
Isn't that what this fuss is all about? The definition?
0 Replies