Rape Contest At New England Prep-School

Miller

Reply Thu 20 Aug, 2015 09:46 am
The male now charged with rape will probably get off since he is being defended by a very well known Boston lawyer ( fees in the order of $750/hr or so) and I might add, he is a very intelligent man.
maxdancona

Reply Thu 20 Aug, 2015 09:53 am
@Miller,
Miller wrote:

The male now charged with rape will probably get off since he is being defended by a very well known Boston lawyer ( fees in the order of $750/hr or so) and I might add, he is a very intelligent man.

Don't you agree that someone accused of a crime has the right to defend himself in court, and if a jury doesn't find him guilty beyond a reasonable doubt, that he should "get off" ?

I think too many people get confused between the words "rapist" and "accused rapist". Innocent until proven guilty is an important part of our justice system.

Why are you so sure that he actually committed rape (i.e. forced her to have sex with him without her consent)?

ossobuco

Reply Thu 20 Aug, 2015 10:52 am
I'm the one who added the tags: possible rape, scoring contest, and not shown, scoring is not rape.
Has the trial been held? I guess only in some minds. I'll wait.
Of course, if it turns out to have been rape that happened in a scoring contest, that, I would hope, would be against contest rules, which I've no idea about.
BillRM

Reply Thu 20 Aug, 2015 10:52 am
@maxdancona,
Quote:
I think too many people get confused between the words "rapist" and "accused rapist". Innocent until proven guilty is an important part of our justice system.

Sadly not when it come to a charge of rape and even if the man is found to be innocent a large percent of the population are going to assume he is guilty and just somehow was able to get off.

In NYC two cops was found innocent of raping some woman and Firefly was of the opinion no matter what the jury found they was guilt of raping her.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Thu 20 Aug, 2015 12:12 pm
@ossobuco,
The idea of a "scoring contest" is an immature prank and in very poor taste. It doesn't mean rape, but I wouldn't expect these young kids to act responsibly either. I doubt there are any such contest rules.

I think most of us agree the idea of a "scoring contest" is deplorable in itself. I would be rather upset if my daughter were going to this school.

Of course this "scoring contest" and rape are two separate issues. The trial will be whether this specific event constituted rape.

0 Replies