Rape Contest At New England Prep-School

Miller

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2015 09:42 am
Opening arguments expected in New England prep school rape trial

CONCORD, N.H. Opening statements are expected on Tuesday in the trial of a man accused of raping a fellow student at one of the United States' most prestigious preparatory schools.

The suspect, Owen Labrie, 19, of Tunbridge, Vermont, is charged with sexually assaulting a 15-year-old freshman girl days before he graduated in 2014 from St. Paul's School.

The prep school counts among its graduates numerous prominent business and political leaders, including U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry.

The trial is expected to shine a spotlight on the culture of the elite academy, founded in 1856. It is clustered on 2,000 wooded acres (810 hectares) in Concord, New Hampshire's state capital.

Quoting from a police affidavit, the Concord Monitor newspaper reported that Labrie told officers shortly after his arrest that his alleged encounter with the girl was part of a school tradition known as "senior salute," in which senior boys competed to "score" with the most female students.

A jury of 11 men and three women, with two alternates, was selected on Monday for the trial at the Merrimack Superior Court in Concord.

In a statement on its website, St. Paul's said: "Allegations about our culture are not emblematic of our school or our values, our rules, or the people that represent our student body, alumni, faculty, and staff."

The jury is expected on Tuesday to visit the campus of St. Paul's and the site of the alleged assault.

Labrie has pleaded not guilty to three felony sexual assault charges. Lesser charges include using an "Internet service" - specifically Facebook - to lure the alleged victim.

The three sexual assault charges each carries a sentence of up to 20 years in prison.

Labrie had been slated to begin classes at Harvard University last fall, but did not attend, the Concord Monitor said.

Reporting by Ian Simpson; Editing by Sandra Maler
www.mmc-news.com

BillRM

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2015 11:13 am
@Miller,
An if the charges of both a rape and a rape culture on campus once more prove to be without foundation who is going to give the school and the young man their good names back?

You know we been here before not that long ago.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2015 11:28 am
@Miller,
Quote:
The prep school counts among its graduates numerous prominent business and political leaders, including U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry.

There is something suspect in this statement that many of the media are using in this story.

The school counts among its graduates NUMEROUS prominent business and political leaders. But, the only one any of these media reports cite is John Kerry.

I think this attempt to sully only his name by association has more to do with the current vote on the Iran deal than anything else.

By the way, this is not the only school or military organization to have these contests. These contests have frequently been reported on over the years.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2015 11:38 am
@Butrflynet,
"Scoring" with a girl is not the same thing as rape. I wish these inaccurate, sensationalist terms wouldn't be used.
engineer

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2015 02:24 pm
@Butrflynet,
I agree that they are using Kerry to sensationalize the story, but I don't think it has to do with sullying his name, it's just a way to hype the story. Also the alleged "contest" was a sex contest, not a rape contest. That's a pretty significant difference.
Miller

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2015 07:46 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

"Scoring" with a girl is not the same thing as rape.

In the royal hills of New England, a "score" is a "rape"in the glorious year of 2015.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2015 07:47 pm
@engineer,
Forced sexual intercourse between a man and a woman, a woman and a woman or even a man and a man is called rape.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2015 07:55 pm
@Miller,
Miller,

A man meets a woman in a local drinking spot. He buys her a drink, she is feeling horny and so she invites him back to her apartment. They agree have sex (which they both want and enjoy) and then each go their own way.

The next day the man might say to his friends ... "Hey guess what, I scored with a hot chick last night". This is a typical (albeit crass) of the word "to score". It is used all the time to refer to the act of picking up a woman and convincing her to have consensual sex.

I assume you understand that consensual sex is not rape. You might not know that the term "to score" is generally used for consensual sex. A man who had actually committed rape (i.e. forced someone to have sex with him) would probably not use the word.

0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2015 08:02 pm
@engineer,
Who knows what the man did to bring up his numbers?

Does the age of the girl (15) at the time they had sex - consensual or otherwise - play a role in the charge?
maxdancona

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2015 08:07 pm
@ehBeth,
What this particular man did will be the focus of the trial. I doubt what you or anyone else thinks about the alleged contest will matter. The question should center around the issue of consent.

I looked up the NH sexual assault laws for you on the ages in question. If I read the article correctly, the defendant in this case is 4 years older than the alleged victim. Edit: On second read, the defendant is 19 now, and the alleged victim was 15 at the time of the attack. So the statutory rape law might not apply in this case.

Quote:
Felonious Sexual Assault (“FSA”) (RSA 632-A:3 ) includes the offense often referred to as the “statutory rape law,” which involves sexual penetration of a person between the ages of 13 and 16 when the age difference between the actor and the other person is 4 years or more. The legal age of consent in New Hampshire is 16. It also applies when a person is in a position of authority over another and coerces that other person to engage in sexual contact with the actor or with him/herself in the actor’s presence.

http://doj.nh.gov/criminal/victim-assistance/documents/sexual-assault-protocol.pdf
0 Replies

HesDeltanCaptain

Reply Wed 19 Aug, 2015 07:41 am
@Miller,
Could execute every rapist. Or as a compromise measure, public castration and humiliation would be okay too. Dunno who the hell cares about a rapist ya wouldn't support either.
BillRM

Reply Wed 19 Aug, 2015 08:35 am
@HesDeltanCaptain,
Quote:
Could execute every rapist. Or as a compromise measure, public castration and humiliation would be okay too. Dunno who the hell cares about a rapist ya wouldn't support either.

Sure after redefining rape so that it is rape even if the woman consent if she have a drink or two and regret the sex the next day that is a damn good idea.

Oh also how about hanging any woman that is proven to had brought false charges of rape?

Beginning with the fifteen years old if it is found that she way laying perhaps.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 19 Aug, 2015 09:03 am
@BillRM,
You know Bill, it is much easier to make an argument for fairness if you don't show such hostility. You make it much harder for me to express my reasoned opinions because people incorrectly link my position with yours.
BillRM

Reply Wed 19 Aug, 2015 09:36 am
@maxdancona,
Sorry but would you care for me to list some of the cases where there is no damn question that a woman brought false charges and when it was found that she had lied over the matter nothing or at best very little was done to her?

Or the cases where men had spend decades in prison for a rape that was later proven they was not guilt of.

When a fool is taking the position that rapists should be hung or have their sex organs cut off in public no real question need to be ask.

It so insane that for example a West Point cadet was court marshal when a young woman jumped into a bed where he was sleeping and after waking he found her beginning to have sex with him under the damn theory that she was too drunk to grant consent!!!!!
BillRM

Reply Wed 19 Aug, 2015 09:46 am
@maxdancona,
Second note look at the title "a rape contest" instead of a contest to see how many women/girls they can have sex with that does not or at least have no needed connection with raping the women involved.

A contest to see how many women they can score with is not a content to see how many women they can raped!!!!!!
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Wed 19 Aug, 2015 09:48 am
@BillRM,
What is wrong with having a balanced view?

In cases where a rape has occurred, I certainly have great sympathy for the victim and believe she should be cared for and the perpetrator should be punished. I also want there to be due process and an understanding that not every accused criminal is actually a criminal.

There are a third set of cases where it is unclear, even to the people involved, whether what happened was actually rape. These cases need to be handled with care and fairness for both parties.

This is a complex issue. I think it is wrong to have an extreme opinion on either side, you need to look at the specifics of each case (and this is in trial). The fact that the girl involved was just 15 years old seems important to me.

BillRM

Reply Wed 19 Aug, 2015 09:56 am
@maxdancona,
Come on there is little or no balance when it come to cases where men are charge with rape.

There names are forever a matter of public record where even when the accuser is found not to had bear true witness they are rarely exposed to even having their name public.

This had happen in cases after cases the last one being one more Duke charges and this even after having the Duke players case only a few years before.

Men are assume to be guilty unless and until they proven otherwise.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 19 Aug, 2015 10:03 am
@BillRM,
Fine then Bill, advocate for balance. I agree with balance.

You can have balance without hostility. And you can have balance while acknowledging the pain felt by rape victims at the same time you bring up the difficulty faced by people falsely accused.

The very meaning of the word "balance" suggests that you look at both sides of a difficult and complex issue.
BillRM

Reply Wed 19 Aug, 2015 11:08 am
@maxdancona,
Oh?

The hostility is driven by the news media and others who are all too damn eager to hang anyone who any woman charge with rape and who are also eager to look the other way in the cases where there was no foundation to the charges.

Next no one seems to give a **** about the harm and very real pain when innocent men are charge with such crimes.

Somehow falsely being label a rapist seems to bear at least the same level of pain of a woman being a rape victim at least in my opinion.

To sum up women who knowingly bear false witness with charges of rapes are not a bit less evil then men who force themselves onto women.

BillRM

Reply Thu 20 Aug, 2015 07:31 am
@BillRM,
Interesting at least two readers have a problem with my statement that knowingly accusing someone falsely with rape is an act that is as evil and as harmful as the act of rape is.

Being accused of such a crime and having your name in the public record as someone who had been accused of such a crime can ruin your life just as greatly as being a victim of a real rape in my opinion.

Such a charge can also harm the family and others who are associated with the person being accused and once more see the case of the Duke players as an example of this.

Even the coach of the team lost his job over the charge of a gang rape that never happen!!!!!!

The woman false accuser in that case walk away with no criminal charges only to be found guilt in the end of murdering a boyfriend of her.
0 Replies